Does this explain what generates gravity?

Speaking of geeky LIGO stuff...

That's an interesting association with position sensors, benb.

For my part, I'm happy to leave the geeky LIGO stuff to the boffins!

1713978448264.png

Given the large number of noise sources (e.g. quantum, thermal, seismic & Newtonian gravitational) it's a marvel they can detect gravity wave signals.

Reactions: 1 user
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's an interesting association with position sensors, benb.

For my part, I'm happy to leave the geeky LIGO stuff to the boffins!

View attachment 1302868

Given the large number of noise sources (e.g. quantum, thermal, seismic & Newtonian gravitational) it's a marvel they can detect gravity wave signals.
The trick is the noise is not correlated between the sensors but the gravity waves are correlated. if you have multiple sensors, that allows you to extract information at/below the noise floor which in broad terms is what’s happening with LIGO. This is engineering physics at its very best - achieving the seemingly impossible.

Reactions: 1 users
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'll expect a summary after you've listened to all 2 hours and 35 minutes of
Its a bit of a rambling podcast and Lex Fridman touches on multiple subjects and I've gotten about halfway through. Fridman takes a bit of a good-humoured dig at TP's in general. I like Sean Carroll because he's the least of the snake oil TP's out there and doesn't try to sell stuff (from my limited exposure to his writing, YouTube videos etc). He's quite honest in the podcast about starting to write papers and then realising they were b.s. so dropping them. As usual, Fridman asks him about aliens. Carroll does not believe the cosmos is crawling with advanced civilisations, so I immediately rank him 9/10 as a credible, thoughtful, individual. They talk about time (one of my favourite subjects, as you know and like to take a dig at me about Galu). He recounts how Einstein thought it was an illusion (despite the fact that it is quite malleable and changes with relative velocity and in a gravitational field), Newton's view (it is the same everywhere) and Carroll's view ('it just, you know ticks by on your watch wherever you are'). For that, I deduct 2 points off the TP credibility index, and Carroll is now rated at 7/10, which on the Bonsai scale is quite an honour I have to tell you ;)

• Thank You
I inevitably finished the Lex Fridman/Sean Carroll dialogue, which works well just on sound as a podcast. I am not a lazy student.

Dear old dead-eyed Lex inevitably diverted it to AI, TLM (Think Computer Intelligence) and Consciousness, and Sean kept up with him though I could see he was being polite. Really it would better employ Sean to talk on Pure Physics like Special and General Relativity IMO...

I found Sean's notion of curved paths in the Time component as well as the Space component interesting.

I think Sean Carroll's "Mindscape" may be more fruitful for us ideas people. :)

Couldn't resist listening to another physics populariser, Prof. Lisa Randall on Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Very good, aside more Lex Fridman hobbyhorses again.

Further discoveries about the Nova, T CrB. Time is tight after initial detection for full brightness near magnitude 2.5:

Fades a bit even in 12 hours, but the window is about a week sometime in the next few months:

TCrB.jpg

https://www.creators.com/read/stargazers/04/24/coming-soon-to-a-sky-near-you-a-new-star

I expect I shall be the main man here on this, I am watching the skies! Galu , and there is no nice way to say this, will doubtless claim it is too cold to go outside or some other excuse...:rolleyes:

I found Sean's notion of curved paths in the Time component as well as the Space component interesting.

I should like to learn more about the distinction between time curvature and space curvature.

If only I knew at what time in the 2 hr 35 min video that discussion commences!

Galu , and there is no nice way to say this, will doubtless claim it is too cold to go outside or some other excuse...:rolleyes:

On the contrary, I am going to camp out in the garden every night from now till September if necessary in order to be one of the first to witness T Coronae Borealis become visible to the naked eye. ;)

Overnight temperatures here are currently dropping to -2 °C, but they could get above freezing by July!

Look for the Northern Crown? All I can say is, "Wear the fox hat"!

1714168282345.png

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I should like to learn more about the distinction between time curvature and space curvature.

Ignore gravity for s second and let’s consider a flat 2 dimensional plane.

If I were to warp time ie create a time gradient between a number of points on the flat plan, I’d guess the behaviour of an object encountering such a time gradient would be indistinguishable from that same object encountering a similarly shaped gravity field (I’m thinking here about Einstein’s duality principle).

Really, Bonsai (Or Andrew as I prefer to call you, Galu being Jock AFAIK..), I don't have much time for String Theory, pretty though the Ed Witten maths is. "Not Even Wrong" as Peter Woit rants!

And it is a distraction here, IMO. Though Lisa Randall believes that an incredibly extended or essentially stretched hidden dimension might get some mileage too... Who knows?

No. FWIW, all the good stuff in your Lex Fridman link is in the first 22 minutes. After that Lex, as usual, wants to talk about Aliens, AI and consciousness.... YUK, don't watch!

@Galu. About 12 minutes in Sean Carroll makes the strangest remark that the duration in Time for a geodesic (Shortest Path) in Space is the LONGEST possible time. Something inverse about time's relationship to space that is implied in the negative sign in Einstein's conserved distance between two events in spacetime for all observers. s^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dy^2 - c^2 x dt^2 with d representing Delta an' all that. I need to mull that over in terms of the Twins Paradox and such. Also in terms of photon orbits round a Black Hole, which is essentially a circle, of course.

Podcast by Sean on his most recent book, which I have read: The Biggest Ideas in the Universe, Space, Time and Motion.:

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2022/09/19/211-solo-secrets-of-einsteins-equation/

This is good. I have heard it before.

Best, Steve.

Last edited: