Does this explain what generates gravity?

I spent the afternoon examining DSLR cameras in the wretched North End of Portsmouth after picking up my laxatives at our vast QA Hospital.

Looks like the Nikon D60 ticks all the boxes for wide-field Astronomy if I persuade my nephew to swap the zoom lens for one of his f1.8 lenses! Which is win-win for both of us IMO.

Continuing our off-topic discussion of healthier lifestyles, Apparently I have mild (Stage 2) Emphysema and mild COPD. It is a worry!

This is the graph and I am at 63% lung function at age 69:

Lung Function for Smokers.jpg

https://gpevidence.org/conditions/chronic-obstructive-pulmoary-disease/

Emphysema.png

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/9370-emphysema

I certainly am keen to postpone meeting this chap:

The Grim Reaper.jpg

Also a worry is Chronic Liver Disease from Boozing:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17179-liver-disease

@mchambin will be cheered by his quitting smoking! It is just my opinion, but excessive scrolling of mobile phones is also very unhealthy.

Reactions: 1 users
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I gave up smoking in 1989 after caring for my father during the last months of his life. He died of emphysema and lung cancer - smoked 20 a day for 40+ years. My doctor at the time said me ‘if you continue smoking, you will also get emphysema’ because as a child I was asthmatic.

So, don’t smoke! Give it up!

Reactions: 1 user
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I find this kind of pseudo science quite tiresome. People - and some who should know better - put out this nonsense and it’s quite right for SH to diss it because it is not provable or falsifiable. Its ranks with the same stuff Avi Loeb puts out on aliens and belongs in the same ‘junk science’ trash can. The fact that it’s coming out of the mouths of people educated at some of the foremost institutions on the planet is concerning to say the least.

I always ask myself in cases like these ‘What would Albert Einstein, Carl
Sagan or Richard Feynman think?’ I can guess.

I have to agree with Bonsai based on my own direct experience: lung cancer took my Father at the age of seventy two.
In his case the lung cancer was a secondary caused by Lymphoma .

From schooldays to seven years and two days ago I smoked cigarettes eventually very heavily.

[Post University my consumption was to increase from a 20 packet a day to a max of
50 a day until, as I said above, 7 years and 2 days ago when I underwent a triple by-pass operation along with
post-surgery pneumonia and was left with COPD but no more angina. I smoked half a cigarette when I got home

Since then not one. 😇

The result of this cessation was revealed to me two days ago following careful examination, blood tests
of all normal functions all were clear. Lungs...no increase in COPD symptoms. Prostate...no problems and
very good for age.....and so on in similar vein. In fact the only problems are a quivering hand
and elbow are to be scanned as is my spine for a possible trapped nerve.

I can tell you that although the testing period, x-rays, blood protein tests etc caused a lot of anxiety the relief I
felt driving home was like having had a grey fog lifted.

Yesterday was my 82nd birthday.

During the steadily increasing anxiety over the past couple of years or more I have gained considerable solace
listening to good music through a pretty good system the heart of which is Bonsai's KX2/11.

And, @system 7, as for Mad Cow disease my case was solved 50 years ago by Divorce!!!
So - DO stop smoking and you will find life has far more to offer. Good Luck.

I find this kind of pseudo science quite tiresome. People - and some who should know better - put out this nonsense and it’s quite right for SH to diss it because it is not provable or falsifiable. Its ranks with the same stuff Avi Loeb puts out on aliens and belongs in the same ‘junk science’ trash can. The fact that it’s coming out of the mouths of people educated at some of the foremost institutions on the planet is concerning to say the least.
I always ask myself in cases like these ‘What would Albert Einstein, Carl
Sagan or Richard Feynman think?’ I can guess.

There's a disturbing fashion in theoretical physics to accept the plausibility of virtually any conjecture that cannot be disproven.
Einstein would have had a few words to say about that.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have to agree with Bonsai based on my own direct experience: lung cancer took my Father at the age of seventy two.
In his case the lung cancer was a secondary caused by Lymphoma .

From schooldays to seven years and two days ago I smoked cigarettes eventually very heavily.

[Post University my consumption was to increase from a 20 packet a day to a max of
50 a day until, as I said above, 7 years and 2 days ago when I underwent a triple by-pass operation along with
post-surgery pneumonia and was left with COPD but no more angina. I smoked half a cigarette when I got home

Since then not one. 😇

The result of this cessation was revealed to me two days ago following careful examination, blood tests
of all normal functions all were clear. Lungs...no increase in COPD symptoms. Prostate...no problems and
very good for age.....and so on in similar vein. In fact the only problems are a quivering hand
and elbow are to be scanned as is my spine for a possible trapped nerve.

I can tell you that although the testing period, x-rays, blood protein tests etc caused a lot of anxiety the relief I
felt driving home was like having had a grey fog lifted.

Yesterday was my 82nd birthday.

During the steadily increasing anxiety over the past couple of years or more I have gained considerable solace
listening to good music through a pretty good system the heart of which is Bonsai's KX2/11.

And, @system 7, as for Mad Cow disease my case was solved 50 years ago by Divorce!!!
So - DO stop smoking and you will find life has far more to offer. Good Luck.
Fantastic you are 82 and your health is good! I hope to make it to 82!

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I used to joke that I was on 'the 90 year Russell health plan' but my wife and I (btw, today we are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary - she was 21 and I was 27!) but we have lost so many friends to cancer I no longer say that. I live each day as it comes. We are touch wood in good health - every day is a gift.

:)

Beautiful image - obviously plenty of opportunity there for stars to form with all that hydrogen!

Here's an image of M33 or the Triangulum Galaxy showing the reddish glow of huge ionised hydrogen regions which are some of the largest known stellar nurseries.

1713268758712.png

According to the link below these are the sites of the formation of short-lived but very massive stars:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061123.html

Another image never seen before.

The image shows the perfect Einstein ring formed by ancient galaxy, JWST-ER1g.

1713269666747.png

Apparently, astronomers have determined that the value for the dark matter mass contained within the ring is higher than expected.

They offer an explanation in a paper titled “Cold Dark Matter and Self-interacting Dark Matter Interpretations of the Strong Gravitational Lensing Object JWST-ER1”: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ad394b

I'm afraid the paper is all gobbledygook to me! :geek:

When looking for information on star formation I came across this accidental radio observation of a galaxy that contains no stars!

https://www.astronomy.com/science/a...y-find-a-galaxy-that-hasnt-birthed-any-stars/

1713298804081.png

Galaxy J0613+52, which is roughly 270 million light-years away, is an enormous cloud of cold hydrogen gas - a couple billion Suns' worth!

The astronomers think they might have found a rare primordial galaxy of gas that is too spread out for its gravity to pull stars together.

Its isolation from any other galaxies could also mean that it hasn't been disturbed and triggered to clump up and begin forming stars.

That IS a massive one!

Gaia-BH3 was discovered with the European space telescope Gaia, which tracks the motion of billions of stars in our galaxy.

Gaia has discovered two previous black holes of this class:
  • Gaia-BH1 which is the closest to Earth at 1,560 light-years away and has a mass around 9.6 times that of the Sun.
  • Gaia-BH2 which was the second closest at 3,800 light-years away and has a mass of around 8.9 solar masses.
1713396477276.png

Read how Gaia discovered this new family of black holes: https://www.esa.int/Science_Explora...ia/Gaia_discovers_a_new_family_of_black_holes