Does anyone know what these are, please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another FR. Opinions on its merits anyone?

I got a pair of these FR alnicos cheaply at a flea market. I saw the alnico magnet and so I snapped 'em up.
They came in semi-enclosed vinyl-clad boxes that clipped together for transport.
National brand. Perjaps associated with an old open-reel system?
The lettering on the rear of the speaker says:
16cm PD speaker
EAS-16P49SM
8 ohm 4W C5501
JAPAN L734

I have replaced the crappy speaker cables and tested them. They sound quite good. Not thumping bass, of course, but nicely balanced and not sibilant. Visually they are mint.

1. Does anyone know anything about these drivers?
2. If so, does anyone have any TS data, so I could assess what sort of enclosure may suit them?

cheers

Doug

Attachments

• spkr.jpg
    spkr.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 118
Re: Re: Re: Re: Another FR. Opinions on its merits anyone?

planet10 said:

You must have been typing as i was posting the data. This is another one of many decent sounding small, simple alnico FRs. Best suited for OB with a helper woof.

dave

Thanks Dave.
110Hz
90dB
11 litres.

Hmmm. Looks good for my next project but one! So many drivers, so little time.
I ran these in their original cases and was quite impressed, so I'm looking forward to trying them OB as you suggest. (I have a pair of 12" vintage Hokutones in mind for the helper woofers.) If & when I get them running I'll be sure to post some pix.

cheers

Doug

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another FR. Opinions on its merits anyone?

Brisso57 said:

Thanks Dave.
110Hz
90dB
11 litres.

Hmmm. Looks good for my next project but one! So many drivers, so little time.
I ran these in their original cases and was quite impressed, so I'm looking forward to trying them OB as you suggest. (I have a pair of 12" vintage Hokutones in mind for the helper woofers.) If & when I get them running I'll be sure to post some pix.

cheers

Doug

Just another thought, Dave ...

Do these speakers have the same (or similar) data to any of the well-favoured DIY drivers (Fostex, Realistic, etc.) of the same size? ie if I can look for box designs for a better-known driver ...

??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.