Do Audiophiles want a stand alone high end HDD source?

If someone made a bit perfect low jitter HDD media source, would you buy it?

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Perhaps someone should develop, a bare bones multitrack recording software along the lines of CMP + cPlay. Primarily with audio quality in mind?

Have a look at Kristall.

I looked at it for Vinyl Recording with our Phonostage, too complicated for normal users, but it is multitrack and pretty basic.

Ciao T

a stand alone high end HDD source

Maybe this is something you guys are looking for :

ÏðÒ¶ÒôÏì ʵÌåµê ÂêÑÅMAYA HF-2010 APE WAV Ó²Å̲¥·ÅÆ÷ Êý×ÖתÅÌ_±±¾©ÏðÒ¶ÒôÏì_°Ù¶ÈÓа¡

Not 100% super high end, but also not junk.
And at somewhere between 200~250 USD, there is plenty of scope for DIY upgrade.

A friend in Hong Kong bought one, and apparently the sound is not as good as our own QA550+ES9022.
Maybe the opamp output stage is to blame. Maybe something else.
We don't know as yet.

Has English manual on the touch screen.
And we have no business connection or interest whatsoever with the manufacturer.

Patrick

PS Attachment is translation from a online machine translator.

Attachments

• Maya HF-2010 APE WAV.PDF
    81.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hi,

Interesting. Looks like it uses basically the windows smartphone platform. I recognise the Audio Player software, I use it on my Phone. I doubt it will handle > 48KHz files.

Given the screen is even small than my Phone's and it sits on a shelf and you have no real remote you probably will find managing a large collection with that thing a bit of a nightmare.

BTW, probably the cheapest streamer you can likely find is the Linksys WLM11B (Wireless Music System), but the display sux. I have one for the bedroom, okay for that:

LINKSYS WIRELESS -B MUSIC SYSTEM INTERNET RADIO WMLS11B - eBay (item 320527035609 end time Jun-03-10 07:41:13 PDT)

It uses a pretty decent AKM DAC and has SPDIF out. Quite possible to update. When I get a SB Boom or something else for my Bedroom I'll probably gut and rehouse the streamer part and put into a nice case for use in my office.

Ciao T

ÏðÒ¶ÒôÏì ʵÌåµê ÂêÑÅMAYA HF-2010 APE WAV Ó²Å̲¥·ÅÆ÷ Êý×ÖתÅÌ_±±¾©ÏðÒ¶ÒôÏì_°Ù¶ÈÓа¡

Not 100% super high end, but also not junk.
And at somewhere between 200~250 USD, there is plenty of scope for DIY upgrade.

A friend in Hong Kong bought one, and apparently the sound is not as good as our own QA550+ES9022.
Maybe the opamp output stage is to blame. Maybe something else.
We don't know as yet.

Has English manual on the touch screen.
And we have no business connection or interest whatsoever with the manufacturer.

Patrick

PS Attachment is translation from a online machine translator.

I think that's a product worthy of trying. Particularly at that price.
How would I go about buying it?

I thought I would post a follow up on the D510MO ITX motherboard.
This motherboard is not very good if using a USB to SPDIF/i2s converter.
The sound is very unlistenable, even after doing the well known tips for Win XP audio optimisation.
The onboard audio of the D510MO is better than using my DAC, which only goes to suggest that the USB part of this motherboard has high levels of jitter.

My other computer using the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard is much better. I think I will use this motherboard to make my dedicated music computer.

Anyone who was thinking of trying the D510MO motherboard is advised not to.
It will only lead to dissapointment.

I have connected the i2s lines from my Western Digital mini to my analogmetric TDA1541 DAC. Initiall results are very promising.
I checked the i2s lines of the WD mini with my CRO, they are very square.

The sound seems to be at least the equal of my CMP + cPlay computer, if not better.
I will do more listenting and report my results.

The WD mini sounded quite bad using the analog outputs and Toslink cable, but using i2s, this machine is an entirely different beast. So far there is nothing to complain about.
Bass mid and highs are all good. Detail is excellent. So far very happy with the results.
I should have done this earlier.

I thought I would post a follow up on the D510MO ITX motherboard.
This motherboard is not very good if using a USB to SPDIF/i2s converter.
The sound is very unlistenable, even after doing the well known tips for Win XP audio optimisation.
The onboard audio of the D510MO is better than using my DAC, which only goes to suggest that the USB part of this motherboard has high levels of jitter.

How about just using the SPDIF out on the D510MO ITX motherboard?

How about just using the SPDIF out on the D510MO ITX motherboard?

The reasons are as follows,
I ended up selling that motherboard.
Previous experience (with other motherboards) using the onboard spdif output resulted in terrible sound, that is why I started using the USB to SPDIF converters.

I had more of a listen to the WD mini last night and can confirm that it is certainlty a better source than the PC and a USB > SPDIF converter.

But, of course you MUST use the i2s off the WD. Its SPDIF and analog is no good at all.

The reasons are as follows,

Previous experience (with other motherboards) using the onboard spdif output resulted in terrible sound, that is why I started using the USB to SPDIF converters.

I have a question:

i don't understand how it can sound terrible. I mean it's digital data. It's either pcm or compressed dts or ac3.

I can understand that there can be a small difference in sound quality if your sound card up converts 44.1 to 48000 but how can it be terrible?

What I use as audio and video ultimate player is this: Zotac ION N330 with external brick PSU and internal slot loading Pioneer DVD-RW drive. Boots of WD Blue 2.5" 500G drive and runs XBMC on Linux. What is missing is LCD on the box itself - I have to power up plasma to play audio files, which is not optimal. It runs optical SPDIF out to external DIYEDEN DAC. WD heats up things a bit, so the plan is to boot off small SSD and use NAS RAID as storage for audio/video/photos.

zdravke.com - HTPC

I have a question:

i don't understand how it can sound terrible. I mean it's digital data. It's either pcm or compressed dts or ac3.

I can understand that there can be a small difference in sound quality if your sound card up converts 44.1 to 48000 but how can it be terrible?

Good question.

You are correct about it being digital data, but there are many things that affect the data, such as ground loops, jitter, ground noise, voltage regulation etc.

The mother board is electrically noisy. It uses a SMPS, which is noisy. the grounding of the motherboard is full of high frequency switching noise from the power supply and all the digital chips on the motherboard.
If the ground has noise which is transmitted to the DAC, then the digital signal, which is 1s and 0s with reference to ground, is affected by noise on the ground, then the reference is askew! And the data reproduced is not correct.

Then there is jitter.The PC is affected by all manner of noises increasing jitter.
the software used to play music causes peaks and dips in processor power increasing jitter. The background services running on your computer increase jitter. Poor voltage regulation and noise increases jitter.

The WD mini is a fantastic source. It is a very small PCB. It has short tracks.I can hear that it clearly has very low jitter.
I can not recommend it highly enough - for the person prepared to extract the i2s and run to their own choice of DAC.

Last edited:
Hi Erin

Great read! and yes I would.

I found this thread the other day, slightly off topic but I like the concept, think I may have a go once back in NZ.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/147884-diy-standalone-digital-audio-source.html

Cheers :D

Hi Dagwood, I have seen that one before, the case and implementation is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship.

I did more listening to the WD mini last night and it was so good it totally killed and buried my Cplay and CMP computer.

The PC can sound very good, but the WD mini took the sound to a new level.
I have been PFing around with the PC trying to improve it with minor tweaks for over a year. In a matter of minutes, using a stock standard WD mini, the sound was in a different league entirely.

Note for others who are going to try this, the WD mini takes about 10-20 hours to run in.

The WD mini is a fantastic source. It is a very small PCB. It has short tracks.I can hear that it clearly has very low jitter.
I can not recommend it highly enough - for the person prepared to extract the i2s and run to their own choice of DAC.
Hi Erin,
Do you have a description and or photo's of how and where to extract the i2s?

Kind regards,
Bas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.