Do Audiophiles want a stand alone high end HDD source?

If someone made a bit perfect low jitter HDD media source, would you buy it?

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use my fully optimised CMP + cPlay computer to play back my audio files to my external DAC. It is convenient and sounds as good if not better than any CD player I have ever heard.

However, the computer is bulky.

Ultimately I would prefer to use a stand alone HDD player that allows i2s output and SPDIF.

How many people out there would like there to be a high quality product that does this?

I guess I should have given a few more options in the poll.
I don't think I can add them now can I ?

Computers are great, but,
I would like to keep my computer for email/ work etc, and keep the Hi Fi equipment totally separate. Call me traditional, or perhaps its to do with separating business from pleasure. I still find it hard to relax and listen to music, if a computer is on, I get tempted to check the email etc.

There must be others that feel the same way.

I guess what i'm really getting at is my desire to have the convenience of 1 or 2 TB HDD audio player, in a completely separate package that does not in any way look like a computer.

And apart from copying the music from the computer to the HDD, there is absolutely no need for a computer to be on when listening to music.

Yes there are various devices around at the moment to which you can attach a HDD. however they are for the most part, not really audiophile quality. Or, the interface leaves much to be desired, or you need cables and external drives hanging out everywhere.

I'm looking for an all in one stand alone solution - with digital outputs so that the user can choose their own DAC to achieve the sonic signature and presentation that the user prefers.

Thanks for the link.
Yes that's sort of what I'm after,
But, It uses wireless LAN, so i will resonably assume that there is much switching noise going on inside it thus affecting the audio quality.
it also has an HDMI output and these are also electrically noisy particularly if not terminated.

I'm looking for something more traditional, and more simple, like a CD player ( with a HDD and LCD/VFD or LCD display)
Network functionality and HDMI are not required. All these extras add to the cost and electrical noise.

It could be a kit or finished product......

It is also PC. It runs Windows (or Linux) natively (altou i'd consider that a downgrade)

Elegance often has a price.

dave
I second that.

Wireless, infrared remote and very high WAF.

And with the free mediaplayer software, Plex, you have the best mediacenter IMO. And it plays back Blueray files at 24 Hz! (sadly not BR discs).
Add an external USBDAC for high end playback.

Booted into Windows (or via VMWARE) I can use Foobar including room correction, equalizer & xover...

> I guess what i'm really getting at is my desire to have the convenience of 1 or 2 TB HDD audio player, in a completely separate package that does not in any way look like a computer.

See :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...card-16-44-1-wav-transport-3.html#post2172868

Any of the TEAC WAP's will do what you want, at a bargain price.
You need to add spdif Rx and a DAC, plus good power supplies. That's all.

TEAC Europe GmbH: Features
Teac WAP-2200 USB o.ä. ? ! ! ?, Multimediaplayer - HIFI-FORUM
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/153462-teac-wap2200-whats-inside.html

Patrick

Hi Patrick, I think that you have missed my point.

the poll is asking who would like someone to make an all in one audiophile quality HDD audio transport.

The QA-550 although is audiophile quality does not hold enough music.

The Teac after modding would not be all in one. And the Teac outputs Japanese format i2s rather than Philips. so It does not suit me personally.

So the search continues....
but thanks for the suggestion. Again close, but no one seems to make the product I'm looking for.
and Im sure many others are looking for....

Patrick, sorry if that sounded bad, I do appreciate your helpful suggestions.

I didn't know about the TEAC WAP-2200 as its not available in Australia.

However, just to reiterate, it needs tp be convenient and genuinely audiophile quality. Which I don't think anyone makes at the moment.

I started the poll to see how many people would be interested in such a device.

So far I can see that some people are completely happy with their computer set up, however others would be very interested in such a device as long as it sounds equally good or better than their computer.

I'm hoping to prove through the poll, that there is a need for such a product in the market place, and someone on this forum, or in the industry will go forward make such a product.

I second that.

Wireless, infrared remote and very high WAF.

And with the free mediaplayer software, Plex, you have the best mediacenter IMO. And it plays back Blueray files at 24 Hz! (sadly not BR discs).
Add an external USBDAC for high end playback.

Booted into Windows (or via VMWARE) I can use Foobar including room correction, equalizer & xover...

I agree they are elegant, but I Mac ownership is a cult I cant bring myself to join:) Does windows have drivers for these, i.e all standard hardware/chipsets?

Another requirement for the "ideal" audiophile player: The HDD must be in a removable drawer, compatible with my desktop PC. I can then remove it, put it in my PC and put on additional songs at any time. Ripping would be done at the PC. And it would be easy to backup the whole thing (imagine the disaster if you had a HDD failure in your audiophile unit and 1 or 2 TB of music all gone).

To easily navigate through 1TB of music, you would probably need some reasonably large display; so maybe a DVI-connector or a wirelessly connected iPad would be ideal? OK, now it starts getting complicated, but I agree with the idea that unit should be entirely separate from the PC.

Kurt

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I agree they are elegant, but I Mac ownership is a cult I cant bring myself to join:) Does windows have drivers for these, i.e all standard hardware/chipsets?

All Intel Macs can be directly booted into Windows -- they become Windows PCs. A number of North American PC/Windows magazines have ranked them as #1 hardware platforms.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.