Do all audio amplifiers really sound the same???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SY said:
No, I was trying to make a serious point: there is no-one I'm aware of who has ever said that all amps sound alike or that all amps are the same. Not Bogeyman Greiner, not Zombie Lipshitz, not Living Dead Nousaine nor the Anti-Christ Olive; no-one. There's simply no argument there.

Gee SY, I actually used to like you! ;)

Ummm... not all amps - that being ALL amplifiers in the entire world! - but used as a short hand, as in "all amps", referring to the oft quoted assertion (paraphrased, although slightly shorter than the full text version...) " all properly made and operated, not clipped amplifiers...etc".

As far as what the earstwhile Tom Noisaine has to say, I'd say after debating him :smash: on rahe some years back that he does indeed subscribe to the "all amps" theory/belief/dogma/philosophy (pick one). So do many others... you? How about you?

I think on the basis of your comments in thread, you are not with them.

But you are not in a camp, you are out there - somewhere... :D :D

What gets people worked up is the idea that any differences will have easily measurable and predictable causes. There's a love of the idea that there are mysterious things going on, beyond the ken of reductionist, materialist engineering, and that those oxen-with-pocket-protectors who get published in JAES just stubbornly refuse to admit it. That's where the argument is.

I think that's another, albiet related topic?

But do you think that audible differences do/will have "easily measurable and predictable causes"??

Is everything audible able to be put in "reductionist, materialist engineering, and that those oxen-with-pocket-protectors who get published in JAES" terms or not?

Your view is??

Inquiring minds want to know!!

_-_-bear

panomaniac said:
I did test a Quad 303 (and 405) amps against a Hiraga 20W Class-A on Quad panels about 20 years ago too. As well as a big 20W DHT SET amp (811 tube, IIRC). The differences were so huge, they made us laugh out loud.

I guess that was exactly the same line Golden Eared Ones used when they bashed 405 (prior to Walker's challenge).

It all went strangely quiet for a while afterwards ...

bear said:

Ummm... not all amps - that being ALL amplifiers in the entire world! - but used as a short hand, as in "all amps", referring to the oft quoted assertion (paraphrased, although slightly shorter than the full text version...) " all properly made and operated, not clipped amplifiers...etc".
_-_-bear

I think this must be stated more clearly because a lot of people interpret it as ALL amps.

Also there must be differentiation between normal published specs (freq response THD and such), which doesn't mean much and proper executed measurements.

André

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
planet10 said:
The original Quad 405 was a terrible amplifier
<snip>
now we are working with +/- 50V rails....

Yeah, the 405 has a bad rep. I never cared for it.
+/- 50V you might be able to go with a UCD400. I don't think there are any Tripath chips that work with that high a rail voltage. And the single rail of the 303 wouldn't be of much use there either.

The new IcePower boards have a SMPS built in, so no worries. But they are OEM only.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Andre Visser said:
I think this must be stated more clearly because a lot of people interpret it as ALL amps.

Yeah, gotta agree with Bear and André. Of course we aren't really talking about ALL amps.

We are supposed to be talking about amps that measure "the same" (whatever that is) and within certain power limitations.

So: What is "The Same" as far as amp measurements are concerned? What measurements and under what conditions? Within what tolerances?
Let's please establish that first.

The problem may lie in the commonly published specs. Are they tight enough, comprehensive enough? Done under the right conditions?
If we take 2 amps with published specs that should lead to inaudible differences, will we still hear differences?

As we know, most amps are measured with a steady state signal into a simple load. Is that good enough? Will 2 amps that measure "the same" with steady state signals into a resistive load sound the same with a musical signal into a complex load like a speaker?

I do believe that we can measure a lot of why amps might sound different, but that the most common specs don't tell the whole story. So if we buy 2 amps that have very similar power ratings, THD, FR and maybe even IMD specs, will they sound they same? I doubt it.
And that's the the basic problem. The common published specs don't tell us enough, but that is all we usually have by which to objectively judge amplifiers.

But hey, I could be proved wrong. :bawling:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Long time ago when money was there I bought a Advantage integrated, the black one with no controls functioning only by remote...a really high class amp that pleased me fore several years

Then I got the diy bug again and hoped to build some better monster amps...sorry to say I chose the LCaudio TheEnd

I was a bit dissapointed by the result as both amps seem to sound only slightly different...and hard to chose one over the other :bawling:

THEN a few years later I build my present amp, a downscaled 50wattt Mirand...THIS was much better and really high class, and it made my Advantage sound like a toy amp

Now I use the Advantage solely as preamp...which it does very well...it has individual input gain adjustment by remote and other nice features...a TVC is on the wanting list, maybe Promitheus

btw...changing base feets and other ressonanse dampening seem to make a differense

Make your own conclusions :)

panomaniac said:
The problem may lie in the commonly published specs. Are they tight enough, comprehensive enough? Done under the right conditions?
If we take 2 amps with published specs that should lead to inaudible differences, will we still hear differences?

The chances are very good that they will sound different.

As we know, most amps are measured with a steady state signal into a simple load. Is that good enough? Will 2 amps that measure "the same" with steady state signals into a resistive load sound the same with a musical signal into a complex load like a speaker?

Testing an amplifier with a steady signal into an 8 Ohm resistive load is something like testing cars by driving 100km/h on a highway. The chances that you will discover weaknesses are very slim.

Do amplifiers sound?

Jakob2 said:

The key sentence would be "there´s no audible difference" , because at a first glance the measurements can only tell whether there is a measurable difference (depends only on the resolution and/or effort) everything beyond that point is interpretation based on psychoacoustics.

There is no audible difference at least as long as the load is a resistor or some other dummy load instead of a loudspeaker.

I'm with Gerrit Boers on this question. A dummy load is convenient when you make basic measurements. But the output of an amplifier is not audible without a loudspeaker. It is also true that a loudspeaker load affects to the performance of the amplifier.

My proposal for a scientifically sound test setup would be:

1) Signal source
2) Device under test, in this case an audio amplifier
3) Anechoic room
4) Different but typical high quality loudspeaker loads
5) Microphone on a stand
6) Analyser device
7) Personnel who know how use the test equipment

Changing from an amplifier to another is quicker than changing loudspeakers. Many different amplifiers in a row could be measured with one speaker without need to visit the anechoic room. So the microphone and loudspeaker would stay put, and the results would be most reliable.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Do amplifiers sound?

Ah..... looks like there is actually progress in this thread.

I suppose that most of use here would agree that the commonly published amp specs are not enough to tell us how an amp sounds. (those who disagree, please speak up).

Is there a set of measurements and tolerances that will allow us to know how an amp sounds?

Or to put it another way, is there a set of measurements in which two amps will measure the same (within a certain tolerance) and sound exactly the same? If so, what are they?

Nikolas Ojala said:
But the output of an amplifier is not audible without a loudspeaker.

Well some are! :D Ever heard singing coils, transformers or even transistors?

Or to put it another way, is there a set of measurements in which two amps will measure the same (within a certain tolerance) and sound exactly the same? If so, what are they?

If the amps are stable, the frequency response and level are matched within 0.1dB with the load connected, THD and IM are below 0.1%, noise is below hearing threshold, and neither amp is clipping, they will not be able to be distinguished by ear in any valid blind testing regime using current methods.

These are pretty conservative numbers- one could probably go higher with most listeners and program material.

I was talking to a fellow about this a few weeks back and we came to a couple of conclusions:

The load an amp is driving is basically the 'sound' of the amplifier :))aside from the buzzing when you first turn some of them on:)). So if you've got a tricky load (big impedance peaks and dips) then some amps will definitely drive them better than other.

And we decided that the measurements must be taken using a static load (through a resistor? I don't know this stuff). Otherwise how could amps that measure the same sound so different through some speakers.

We (OK, I did) decided it's like that old saying...
Abraham Lincoln said:
You can fool all of the people some of the time
You can fool some of the people all of the time
But you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

All amplifiers will sound the same with some speakers,
Some amplifiers will sound the same with all speakers,
But not all amplifiers will sound the same with all speakers.

Humble opinions only :O!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
SY said:
If the amps are stable, the frequency response and level are matched within 0.1dB with the load connected, THD and IM are below 0.1%, noise is below hearing threshold, and neither amp is clipping, they will not be able to be distinguished by ear in any valid blind testing regime using current methods.

OK, there we have good concrete statement. I like it!
(SY, you always fail to disappoint).
From that point we can go forward to testing, if we choose to.

These are pretty conservative numbers- one could probably go higher with most listeners and program material.

They are indeed. Level matching to within 0.1dB would be what? About 0.04 volts if the match level is 3 volts? That could be touchy.

Of course I have questions about the conditions and parameters of the above mentioned measurements, but I'll save that for later.

There's an extensive literature in JAES; what I stated is extremely well-supported with data, and to date not one listening test in the standard formats (e.g., ABX) has shown anything different. Not a single, solitary one. Probably best to read through the lit before trying to work out a really fancy way of showing that the speed of light really is c or that the earth really is round.

That leaves two possibilities, to which I'd direct your attention and effort in lieu of repeating well-established results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.