• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

diyinhk Store

Hello Ben,

First, with SPDIF I/O there is no clocking issue . The ADC work necessarily with it's own local MCLK.
The SPDIF receiver need to retrieve the MCLK from the SPDIF stream ( The PLL of WM8804
do that very well at any sampling rate to 192kHz) and so we just need to configure it to be a slave
when connecting it to the DIYink XMOS board.

For I2S input, this is more complex.
We can use an ADC in slave way (the easier) and then use MCLK provided by the XMOS board.
And, we can only take LRCK and BCK from XMOS board, and sent the MCLK of the ADC as MCLK
of the XMOS instead of the on-board one. All of these can work at any standard sampling rate.
So there is no need to convert the sampling rate.

Frex

Which is why I suggested the src4392. In one chipset, you get spdif receiver and transmitter as well as an asrc. So you're not dependant on the incoming spdif stream to generate mclk, you can use the adc's mclk to clock the asrc output.

I'm just not quite sure that using I2S brings you anything valuable, except the ability to easily vary sample rates. Which could be the deal breaker.

Last edited:
Hello Bend,

It seem that i had not completely understood what the SRC4392 can do.
I've read the datasheet deeper now, and as you said it seem that it can work fine for my application.
The asynchronous mode of the SRC4392 allow to decode the incoming SPDIF stream with an external MCLK that is not the recovered clock.
So, i can connect an I2S port in slave mode to the XMOS I2S master while sending SPDIF stream
without taking care about MCLK's frequency shift issue.

The SRC4392 is less easy to use than WM8804, so i would need to add some logic glue to program internal register at start-up.
Did you have already use it yourself ?
Regards.

Frex

Here's a challenge... I bought one of these and am very happy with it. But, in a bodging moment I decided it was a good idea to drill out the header holes to clear them of solder. DOH! I've managed to drill out the data I2S connection that is buried in one of the internal PCB layers. Can anyone tell me which pin on the xmos chip is the correct I2S data connection? Doing some detection work using the datasheet (https://www.xmos.com/download/private/XU216-256-TQ128-Datasheet(1.10).pdf) and Dimdim's blog (XMOS | Dimdim's Blog) I have ascertained that pin 1M is the data out. However, would you believe it that there are two of them marked on the datasheet?! One is marked x1d36 and the other x0d36. Given that the other I2S connections used on the board are all marked x0 I suspect that I should use the x0d36 but does anyone know for sure before I cause further trouble for myself?

Hello,

just found this thread. In the description I could find that it´s possible to control the volume
OLED VU meter and volume up/down control button

Does that mean that the volume will be controlled by the xmos200 chip digitally? 32bit volume control? So don´t need to control the volume on the Es9018/Es9016 DAC-Board behind this? Is there any way to control the volume via a remote control by installing any king of motorpoti or infrared-receiver?