diyAudio Logo Competition Draft Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.
er... more compact

Attachments

• diyaudio5-monkey_c.png
    diyaudio5-monkey_c.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 162
sorry, I don't know why my last images weren't uploaded, and I don't know how to edit those posts. Here again, hosted by imageshack this time.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

nice job geewhizbang. I can't tell the difference between the new font, but the slanted logo is nice. (Although I still like your first versions with the fade effect best.)

any feedback on soldering monkeys? like it/hate it? or are we gonna go sans-mascot?

If we are going to try different fonts here are a few more.

I don't quite like the suggestion; I do agree that it is perhaps cleaner, but it also loses some presence. But it still indicates an interesting design direction.

Part of the reason for the loss of presence is the somewhat staid Helvetica-like font. I like sans serif fonts to have a fluid shape, such as Frutiger, Gill Sans, Folio, and several others. Helvetica is so cold and geometric.

Don't even mention Avant Garde in my presence. I might bite your head off. It seems to be the favorite font of bad designers.

Perhaps what you like is the less-bold fonts, so I have done three variations in less bold but in fonts with a little more pizzazz.

I don't have any more fonts that would look very good other than these, however. Any serif fonts would not look good for this logo.

I still like the blue dot myself.

I am not bothered at all about other people making suggestions.

I know I don't have a monopoly on good ideas. My design borrows heavily from the current logo. The name should be in a clean, easy font, all on one line, and I don't mind the purple "Audio" though I prefer a bit more vibrant purple than the current design.

I would recommend getting iron-on embroidery made instead of silk screening t-shirts. Much more durable, very attractive. Not only that, the iron-on embroidery fits in a small envelope and can be sent to members by itself so they can iron it onto anything they want, including a jacket.

The sound waves and the logotype can vary in relative size to each other quite a bit.

I think a t-shirt with the logo on the breast of the shirt would look pretty nice even at the current size relationship. It would of course be about 3.5 inches wide, so there would be enough resolution for the type to be readable.

Because the colors are solid you can use spot colors on a t-shirt, which means that the resolution is pretty good.

I still like the bolder font in version 12 of the logo is the one that I still like the best. I just did the version 13 ones to see if I would like them better, but I don't. They are OK, but the bold font gives it more impact.

I would make variations on your design 174, making small changes until you get it right. The arrangement of shapes is very good.

Even though it is the most similar to my design, the type arrangement is barking up the right tree. I like the simplicity of the eye candy on this one, too.

The comic sans fonts LOOK ok, except that they lack seriousness, which is probably enough reason to try something else. I also think the colors are too soft.

The eye candy is the only one that looks printable on a t-shirt unlike all of your prior designs.

When you see a classically simple logo from some big company, most people are utterly clueless about how long it takes for something simple but beautiful to be conceived. This is why some big companies pay very talented people thousands, or even millions to create good logos.

The guy that directed the wonderful 60s James Bond title sequences eventually made a career of creating corporate logos. His credits include titles for Hitchcock's Psycho and rumor has it he also directed the famous shower scene. His logos were simple, very appropriate for the intended use and he many hundreds of thousands of dollars for each one, and very beautiful.

In logos, LESS is more. But paradoxically, it actually takes a lot of time to find your way to exactly the right kind of minimalism that works for a good logo.

Since I don't have a degree in design, I don't get taken seriously by any large companies that could afford to pay me, so I now very happily write code instead, because it actually pays.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have to agree about the font and color scheme, but it was just a quick sketch that flew through my head. I'll try reworking it later.

Since I don't have a degree in design, I don't get taken seriously by any large companies that could afford to pay me, so I now very happily write code instead, because it actually pays.

Lol. ;)

Thinking along the lines of the original wave propogation idea, which seems to have found some favoritism among the designers/reviewers alike, here's a slightly different treatment contructed out of plain and simple geometric shapes.
To me it appeared quite cleaner, less clumsy and kinda rythmic..!

Attachments

• diy4.gif
    diy4.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 155
Here is my latest, inspired by the last post.

I do think his idea of leaving the dot out is a good one.

I prefer not to get too geometrically perfect on the waves. They have to be a little hand-adjusted to get a nice shimmer.

With the t-shirt in mind so that the slogan will not be made of too-thin strokes to be seen, this is how I think it could look:

Status
Not open for further replies.