diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just went thru all the posts from 80 on looking for the v0.2 version of the folded bipole (1" taller) but it looks like i never posted it... here it is.

dave

Attachments

• diya-fe127-ref-bipole-v2.gif
    diya-fe127-ref-bipole-v2.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,816
Re: Pipe Ripple

SCD said:
Hello Tim:
When you were doing the simulations do you recall any problems with the tapered pipe?

I think it was base on a 10:1 ratio ie 6.5 / 65 inch2 ~ 43 in tall I do not have my numbers here so I am guessing.

Hi Scott.
IIRC, the straight pipe modeled slightly better than the tapered. I'd have to revisit it to be more specific.

GM said:
Greets!

Hmm, the linked folded pipe is not a bipole WRT pipe loading since they are on the same side of the baffle spaced a considerable distance apart, so their performance will be somewhat different than the sim. The drivers need to be on the sides of a folded pipe to perform ~as predicted. Vent orientation isn't critical when the drivers are on the sides as long as it's near/at the bottom.

WRT folding a pipe, the rule-of-thumb is to measure the length through the middle of the bend, though the SQRT of the inner and outer pathlength is the most accurate measurement line.

GM

What are my options for getting the driver near the top of the enclosure similar to what Dave has shown for the folded voigt?
Gio.

My FE127E solution ...

I have buit an enclosure for FE127E because at first the magnetic shield was important for my purpose. I was planning to build small speakers for my computer and, yes, I am still using a CRT :p

Then a friend of mine convinced me to build a "floor-standig" one. 127E was very small for a floor-stander but I gave it a shot. Aj Horn was very pleased with the T/S data and my dimensions that I made-up in seconds. The graph showed 0 dB @ 60 Hz and -3 dB at 55 Hz. "Not Bad" I thought to myself and gave it a try. I contacted Madisound and as usually I have received my drivers with ease and I did the carperntary myself. The enclosures costed me 130 USD in total. (paint?, what paint?).

Anyway, about the sound. I was ready and willin' to share them here but the sound was far beyond my expectations. I don't have a clue what you guys regard as balanced, natural or transparent since I haven't listened to a well known full-range enclosure other then the ones I have build :p and my k-1000s if you count those wierd "headphones" as full-range, but their bass response was very balanced and free of coloration. They weren't playing like any other 35 USD driver that I have cursed at in my trials with dignity. The down part is their midrange and high frequency performance. Although they have a nice balance, they do add some kind of a character to the sound. OTOH, I have to say that after a long days work they have sounded better then my DX-2s, which I keep under my bed, in their original boxes, for years...

So, I couldn't decide between keeping them to myself for commercial income or publising their plans just for fun. I have been looking for a job outside Turkey since in Turkey there are no loudspeaker enclosure manufacturers. Nice country, eh ? :p I thought by help of this list someone may realize the light in me and in my work thefore I have decided to publish it here. Below is the drawing, enjoy ...

Note: For stuffing, I just covered the top panel with 3 cm thick fiber and I have placed a 30-40 cm, 3 cm thick fiber at the bottom folded from the middle.

Attachments

• contrast_mk2.jpg
    contrast_mk2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,567
Re: Re: Pipe Ripple

Timn8ter said:

Hi Scott.
IIRC, the straight pipe modeled slightly better than the tapered. I'd have to revisit it to be more specific.

Sorry, I've been occupied with other things recently. Here are the numbers I have for the tapered bipole pipe.
L=40
So=6.5"^2
SL=65"^2
zDriver=17"
zPort=38"
rPort=1"
Lport=2"
Density=.25lb per ft^3

Attachments

• bp127tqwp.gif
    bp127tqwp.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,202
Re: Tim; fill density for MLTL?

chrisb said:
well, the subject line pretty much tells the story.

I've got the prototype pair of V.03cb cabinets assembled; they calculated out to approx .875ft^3. What is the recommended density of Dacron fill according to MJK model?

My modeling was all based on a starting density of .25lbs per ft^3 which leaves room to experiment. Increasing it to .50 lbs ft^3 seems to help.

Attachments

• chrisb127.gif
    chrisb127.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,356
Thanks Tim

too bad the model can't display the subjective break-in "squawk"

Fired them up real good again last night, and even my bass thumping, metal guitar riffing kid has to agree they sound pretty impressive out of the box ( just wait a few weeks to judge on vocals)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just back from listening to the FE127 bi-pole ML-TLs Chris assembled as part of the diyAudio Fullrange reference program... even with just 15 hours on them they are starting to show some real promise. (1st thing out of my mouth when Chris fired up the 1st track was WOW!!)

Bass is quite good, they aren't really obnoxious anywhere -- althou at this point they are quite unforgiving of the recording. As built they are a bit too tall... 3 or 4 inches at least. Adding a bit of tilt-back they could be shorter yet -- they are bigger than i imagined they would be.

Scott also have his folded monopoles done, and is quite pleased with them... he is even saying that he may move his Brine's based 167 ML-TLs out for one of the variations of these...

I'm sure Scott will have more to say once he is back on-line next week.

Phase plugs for the FE127s are almost done, and we expect to be able to try them next week sometime (the front 127s on our bi-poles are sans dust-cap).

dave

planet10 said:
Just back from listening to the FE127 bi-pole ML-TLs Chris assembled as part of the diyAudio Fullrange reference program... even with just 15 hours on them they are starting to show some real promise. (1st thing out of my mouth when Chris fired up the 1st track was WOW!!)

Bass is quite good, they aren't really obnoxious anywhere -- althou at this point they are quite unforgiving of the recording. As built they are a bit too tall... 3 or 4 inches at least. Adding a bit of tilt-back they could be shorter yet -- they are bigger than i imagined they would be.

dave

Dave,

Your initial results are encouraging. Be sure to take several pictures. In particular, I am interested in seeing the mechanical connection between the two drivers.

With warm weather just around the corner, I hope to start building soon.

Keep us posted.

driver bracing

The enclosures were build with the front/back panels dadoed over the sides and top/bottom, so it's not possible to get a photo of the inside of the box.

The FE127E has a small, flat recess on the magnet cover. I just cut a piece of 1" dowel to friction fit and held in place with duct seal.

I ended up cutting 6" off the bottom at an angle of 5 degrees. Opened up the sides and painted black to emulate a separte stand. I'll get some pictures for Dave to post later today.