diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Hi Everyone!
I have been quietly reading the forum here after a member from another forum told me about the "Honey Badger". I am excited to build this (along with a pair of Statement II towers). I am hoping to order the boards from DIYA in the coming days. I just want to make sure that I can find/locate quality parts here in Canada for this build! Anyways, I'm sure you will hear from me along the way.

Hi Everyone!
I have been quietly reading the forum here after a member from another forum told me about the "Honey Badger". I am excited to build this (along with a pair of Statement II towers). I am hoping to order the boards from DIYA in the coming days. I just want to make sure that I can find/locate quality parts here in Canada for this build! Anyways, I'm sure you will hear from me along the way.

Mouser, Digikey and Newark all supply almost everything needed and deliver overnight.

That transformer cost $84.00 plus $12.00 shipping to me. I just sent two similar transformers to Canada for $45.00. Cheaper if someone in the states buys and forwards it to you? I could if you need.

How about Primrose. They are more local to you and have a Nice product.
SumR - Richard Sumner Technology:: Primrose

Evan

I now see with the exchange rate option one is not such. Bargain....

Transformers are usually rated for mains voltage and the loaded secondary voltage.
i.e. 115/230:0-45, & 0-45Vac
This tells you the input (Primary) is a dual winding that can be wired for 110/120Vac or for 220/240Vac
It also tells you the output voltage from the two secondary windings when a resistor load is attached that draws the rated current.

All dual secondary can be converted to centre tapped,
centre tapped cannot be converted to dual secondary.

Order dual secondary. That allows more flexibility in the way you can use it.

Thanks AndrewT. I'll do that! Sorry to sound like such a newb. While I pride myself on being an "audio-buff", I do have to admit that most of my electronic knowledge comes from my Avionics background. I don't have as much "bench work" under my belt as I'd like, and its been a long 9 years since college :). The majority of my time is spent troubleshooting auto-pilot, navigation equipment, and engine "snags". This being said, I am quite confident with a bit of time, reading, and blowing up(hopefully not) components; I will be fit to speak confidently about amplifier builds :)

I really appreciate the patience and help you guys are providing!

Cheers,
Tim

Chasis

I've seen talk of a member trying a honey badger build in a 3U chassis. I could not find the end result though.I would love to set up my build as compact as possible.

Assuming the height of my XFMR will be okay, does anybody know if a soft start, psuv3, and two badger boards would fit in the 3U chassis?(without heating or interference issues) Or perhaps the 4U is the better option...

Bigger is always better with high power amplifiers. You run out of space quickly when building these.

Thanks!
I'm gonna resist the temptation to make a cheap joke here, lol.

Do you know if the dissipate 4U would be sufficient vs the deluxe model?

I asked this in the vendor forum, but think this may be quicker. The only difference I notice is the aluminum vs steel top/ underside.

I would assume the massive heatsink would be fine for this project on either model chassis(regardless of frame material)?