diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Joined 2014
Paid Member
All three sound good. The AB100 is not the same as the Badger or Wolverines. Of course, each of those is a step up in power also, so very hard to quantify, kind of comparing apples to oranges to grapes. The Badger and Wolverines sound very close to each other to me, but the Wolverines will definitely play louder without even realizing it because they are so clean. I currently am using a stereo Badger for bass duty to 200Hz and the Wolverine monoblocks from 200Hz up. It will play at concert levels. I use the AB100 in my detached garage and it gets abused, but keeps on playing.

Glad you like it !!
The Wolverine EF3 is better suited for bass duty - better Damping !
I am making a Wolverine EF3 paired with my new "Spooky" input stage , Spooky soft clips well.
I need the best to run my new KRK V12HO woofer in a Skar audio "SPL" 30Hz box. 35mm Xmax needs bus bars
and 5 pairs NJW output trannies "ARC WELDER" bass board !!!

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi RhythMick,
Yes, but it would be a shame as they are so clean. You could use a less-good sounding amplifier for subs.

On the plus side, this amp could be repurposed as your main amp and acquit itself very well. Better than many high end commercial products.

Reactions: 1 user
I switched out my mje15032/33 for the 34/35 which measured in the 230hfe range and a close match vs the 120hfe for the 33 and 90 for the 32 the extra gain even though only half the current as if i needed 8 amps to drive the 4281 and The 4302 i hooked up my 4 focal chora 826 in paralell it showed a 2.7 ohm load and 70 degree phase angle its not
an easy load i do have the 5U case but even pushed the case gets warm never hot it sounded better i could see red led dimming on the low frequency peaks but it sounded better than ever with the 34/35 combo it just sounded less lively with mje32/33 it was clean sounding but the higher hfe really helped i have had these speakers hooked up to a custom set of modded NAD C270 one amp per pair and it never sounded as good or had the beautiful upper frequency extension i get from single Badger iam Half way through building Wolverine and if it sounds half as good as the Badger i will be Happy i hear comparisons but all i can say is 2 great amplifiers is better than one Lol i have way too much audio equipment according to my family but i say No Such Thing long live DIY audio and thank you to everyone on here for designing and spending countless hours so we can Enjoy this Great Equipment Thank You

Last edited:
And on 5u case for Q13 i just left leads at max length and offset the transistor to one side drilled and tapped hole its not hard any cordles drill and 1 dollar drill bit and a 4 dollar tap and now you have peace of mind knowing it will adjust output as they warm up this amp is very toughand forgiving I had couple mishaps but only a broken resistor all the semis survived its a tough amp for sure and sounds so good it will make even cheap speakers sound better than they are its definitely never leaving my main system

I have 4 pairs of 2sa1930/2sc5171 and several pairs of 2sa1837/2sc4793 they claim that with low impedance the toshibas may not survive so i went the mje route im more concerned with wolverine i have ksa1381 and ksc3503 both in E grade and also have higher hfe toshiba tta04 and ttc04 and even higher hfe NEC 2sc2682 all 3 will work in the vas im sticking with low cob onsemi but pre driver i like the toshiba or nec the 2sc5171 is fastest but i only have hfe of 150 vs my onsemi has 240 and 250 hfe both vce is close on them so do i use the speed 30mhz vs 150mhz or the higher gain of the onsemi the onsemi woke up my badger and the top end is fantastic low frequency was great with the 15032/33 but the extra110 of the 15034/35 hfe made it really sing with less drive on input itried it straight out of my NAD 565 BEE cd player and with tube line driver /preamp the bass is better with preamp boosting low end but either way top end was crystal clear Beautiful sound it put my NADC270s to shame not even close the badger wins hands down

Last edited:
I have some central semi S8097 tin lead npns i would love to use in LTP HFE is in 700 range and i have half dozen perfect match pairs i am so impressed with central semis consitency of their parts they are up there with the sankens and real japanese toshiba parts i always get good matches with even small amounts of their parts whoever does the diffusing of these parts must be a perfectionist Hats Off to them i always look for their parts when i do a project especially Audio if they only did high power outputs of same quality well we can wish for it but truth is through hole semis are dying faster than we would like im glad i stashed bunch of stuff we will definitely not see the great parts from great makers like sanyo and even toshiba has shrunk die sizes these parts have insane current density and is reason they do not have the longevity of the old large dies im never selling my old HiFi stuff i have some HK NAD ARCAM AND EARLY 80S ONKYO AND AN OLD MARANTZ The Newer stuff from big box stores is an embarassment to the term HIFI when i see specs like 1 channel driven at 10 percent distortion it should be unlawful to rate at those figures . The best thing that happened to me was finding DIY AUDIO i love my Badger Soon to have the companion WOLVERINE . NOW I NEED TO BUILD MY OWN DAC AND PREAMP LONG LIVE DIY AUDIO !!!!!

I just spent 4 hours of testing and binning pairs of bc549-c and 559-c I purchased from mouser Onsemi and Diotech if anyone wants to know the diotech measure better more consistent and higher HFE this will vary batch to batch but Diotech just started distributing on large scale its listed as new at mouser the price is half of Onsemi and i was able to match pairs with equal VBE and current not just with each type but pnp npn is rare to get them both same this will greatly help to get very low offset for LTP also the bd139-16 i bought 10 pieces from mouser 10 from digikey and mouser hfe was 124 to 128 the digikey parts were 155 to 170 this is the Onsemi brand no luck with ST on this part number i know its luck as they are mass produced generally the largest distributors get best parts from manufacturers they want to keep their customers happy anyone building the wolverine as of now these parts were bought this week through hole parts are becoming an endangered species buy em while you can Hats off to Diotech on their Debut with these low noise parts well done i will be using them in my wolverine build