diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Thanks for your reply gaetano! I considered indeed that the money diff between the HB and the wolverine wont be as big....
I have to say that the welcome by the wolverine team and fans already have been very good haha. I like the positive replies on this forum. There are a lot of forums where it seems hard to be welcomed when you are a 'newbie'.

Im going to prepare my plans a little further. Probably wont start building anywhere soon. Im always planning and figuring things out for months before i start buying and building haha. Think things through, let it rest for a while, rethink it, etc. But im sure thats familiar to a lot on this forum.
You welcome! Take your time, let the project becomes part of you day by day, don't force things and above all read the build guide over and over until you're capable of building this amp simply in your mind. Ask for help on the forum everytime you'll need: many people will help you! You'll know when time will come to start things. Just remember: carpe diem! You won't regret!

Gaetano.

Reactions: 2 users
Pass AB100 has all components for the amp on one board per/Ch including power supply caps. All I did was add Bridge rectifier on each heatsink and feed AC from remote transformer. Very clean and simple amp to build. Boards are screaming your name.
Pass AB100.jpg
Pass AB100.jpg

Badger is easy , maybe 1.5 times the parts of that AB100. Way more power and just a better design.
Wolverine IS kind of sophisticated. But that is because it is a EF3 PPM amp with 4 pair (500W) output.
BUT ... the wolverine is split in two. You can run the output stage independently (modular).
The documentation makes either much more easy than when I had to research assorted internet designs and
hack layouts 13 years ago when I started out !!

Woo Hoo finished my build of my badger boards last night i used MPSA18 from Mouser central semi tin leads for LTP. I cannot say enough good about these transistors they measured almost 700 hfe across all 20 pieces i bought was able to get 7 matched pairs FROM 20 PIECES my dc offset was nothing on both boards barely had to move trim to get to 0 and rock solid no jumping around i used my hp DC supply with current limiting set to 2 amps at 50vdc both boards dialed in fast using the 5U aluminum heatsinks i turned bias up to 40mA and they did not get warm definitely enough heatsink for 4281 and 4302 i used the updated BOM and its a winner i will finish dc protect power supply and soft start module and post some pics this build is very straight forward i had no mis haps the yageo resistors on BOM worked great they are a tight fit but that is the way to get best connect least resistance just clean boards up with 91 percent IPA put a new tip in your iron and enjoy the Build

Reactions: 1 users
Would this amp be suitable for a bass guitar amplifier? Some have recommended the Wolverine, but this appears to be a much simpler build and I'm a newbie. I'm not sure whether soft clipping can be added into the design but I guess this could be done before the input section with a simple diode pair to ground or some other arrangement (as long as it is transparent up to, say, -6dB below maximum).

I have built all three and agree with @ostripper, in order of complexity, AB100, Badger, then Wolverine. I am currently using all three. Stereo Badger for bass crossed at 200Hz and mono block Wolverines for treble from 200Hz up. I'm using the AB100 in my garage and it gets abused. All three sound good.
Can you comment on any sonic differences (or similarities?) between the 3?