diyAB Amp The "Honey Badger" build thread

Funny thing, WIMA does not sell a 270pF in Digikey.

Digikey

Exactly what I found. I searched for any film cap 270pf and came up with nothing. Mouser has a couple but I was trying to buy everything from one supplier. I tried Mouser first and it was a couple of items right off the bat they did not have and so far Digikey has had everything except these 270pf caps but not in polystyrene. Pico farad's are so little I do not see how being some off is going to effect an audio circuit. It is coming off of the input and going to ground through a resistor so I do not think having a few pf's one way are the other is going to have that big of an effect. Could be wrong and if so maybe someone can explain how and then I will make orders from 2 suppliers and pay double shipping. As you can tell I am a cheap diy'er.

@Harry3: Do you know what is the difference between Polypropylene (PP) and Polypropylene (PP), Metallized?

Thanks!

If I am not mistaken metalized polypropylene is where the metal is bonded to the poly. I doubt that there are any, or at least very few, that are not metallized. Older caps had the metal sandwiched between the dielectric. Boutique caps, PIO, are still made that way.

Last edited:
Yep silver mica caps are good in that position as well.:up:

As Sandro says 220pF is fine.

More info on film caps here:
Film capacitor - Wikipedia

Personally I would not put two caps in series in that position as they MIGHT act as an antenna, if the're physically long.
A small (sized) cap in that position is much preferred.

:wave2:

yes to silvered mica caps...they are not really hard to source..Silver mica capacitor - Wikipedia

caps in series? yes by all means if you have to....even if they maybe located some distance, twisting of wires is a good way to eliminate rfi....
but honestly, i have never done series caps that are a distance apart....

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's

While chatting to Harry off line he noticed that there was a discrepancy between the location of the G2 (signal ground) and G1 (power ground) on the schematic

Can somebody confirm that my updated image is how the schematic should actually be labeled.

Thanks Harry, Great pickup

Attachments

• original.png
    original.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 195
  • updatedl.png
    updatedl.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 211
Joined 2016
Paid Member
D1, D2 and R4 make up a ground lift/ loop breaker for the input. The ground symbol is the supply ground, the other side is the input/ signal ground or G2

The Ground Symbol shown in the original is showing the location of G2 which is what I am questioning.

It appears that its could be in the wrong location.

Attachments

• updated_G2.png
    updated_G2.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 232
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Where G2 is marked is the audio ground.

Please add some more details.

Are you saying that where G2 is marked on the original schematic is the signal (Audio) ground?

Because if you are it can't be. Just look at the traces on the PCB, Signal (Audio) ground is located between the junction of R4 and C2. Not on the other side of R4

Attachments

• sch.png
    sch.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 175
In the last schematic you posted, where G2 is marked at the junction of R4 and C2 is the correct location for audio ground.

D1, D2 and R4 are there to provide a little isolation between audio ground and the power supply ground. R4 would minimize the possibility of ground loops through your interconnects. D1 and D2 are to ensure the ground ring on the RCA connector can't have much more than .6V present for safety.