DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

There are spread sheets available on line for doing the transformer calculations. Didn't look terrible to do.
I saw one DIY'er , he set the EI gap to .2mm and measured the inductance of the trafo. For the least loss LC must be tuned to the
SMPS frequency. Or if you have a prebuilt trafo , use the controller to tune the freq. to the LC. These are "tuned" circuits. Sort of
like the crystal oscillators on the Arduino's. Oh , thank you for those nano/uno's ... I'm addicted to these little CPU's now. I got a ESP32 , as well.
OS

I see Pete,37 kHz working frequency and +/-35v isn't acceptable for hi-fi systems,especially for our Top Gun Wolverine!
Go for a better one using up to date i.c.
We can entrust the construction of the smps transformer to a specialized person.
It's not the frequency , it's the lack of "features" (current sensing , wave shaping, and more). Safety , efficiency , reducing losses from
all the passives . That's what's sets (primitive/advanced) apart.

PS- "Advanced" will change freq. as load/ inductance changes (even at saturation).

Last edited:
I saw one DIY'er , he set the EI gap to .2mm and measured the inductance of the trafo. For the least loss LC must be tuned to the
SMPS frequency. Or if you have a prebuilt trafo , use the controller to tune the freq. to the LC. These are "tuned" circuits. Sort of
like the crystal oscillators on the Arduino's. Oh , thank you for those nano/uno's ... I'm addicted to these little CPU's now. I got a ESP32 , as well.
OS
ESP32 is really cool! If I ever get some time that will be the front end for my preamp remote control.

You mean like the spooky (different IPS) or a balanced input precision op-amp buffer ?? Some of the AD OPA-xxx's are PPM enough for
the balanced buffer. An accessory for the amp ? This would also need a precision regulated supply. Feedback "super Jung" territory.
Do you know if there is already an implementation of a balanced input precision op-amp buffer IPS? Otherwise it would really be great to enable the Wolverine to accept balanced input :cool:

Stuart is a person of the highest class of quality and exceedingly generous, based on personal experience, as well as following the entire two threads. I have no doubt Harry, Daniel, and the rest are first class people as well. I feel privileged to have access to this labor of love. I’ve met a few such designers - Darryl Wilson does not rush, and is extraordinarily meticulous and generous. There are a handful of others. There are plenty of professionals who think too highly of themselves to produce anything of value.

• Thank You
Reactions: 6 users
just a simulation, i'm bored :unsure:

Attachments

• nonameamp.png
    nonameamp.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 219
That's "worst case" ... only 1 pair outputs. But , if I build one - it will be a baby amp. I only need 60-70W for my satellites. (2.1 system).
Oh , don't be bored .... here's some more. (go "red").

Attachments

• CFA.jpg
    CFA.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 213
  • KT-Cordell models.txt
    57.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DIYAampEF3Green.asc
    29 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: 1 user
Is there any interest in another design ? I will use Stuart's IPS standard but ALSO design a single pair power device stereo OPS board.
The advantages of the hellraiser.
-PSRR is quite superior. -120db easy. Single supply will match a monoblock wolverine.
-NO caps (just input cap) in audio (or DC) FB . servo can make for uV offset - LED CCS's are controlled by servo.
-300V/us slew - I don't know whether this would be audible , but - what the hell ... FAST !!
-A small 300W SMPS would make for a quite small and accurate 60w/ch amp with plenty of headroom (100w+ peak).
-this design seems to have the same 8-10ppm regardless of freq./ load - could this be the current FB ?
-not as many silver mica caps.
disadvantages -
-warm 1W feedback resistors , you will waste a whole watt .. ha ha !
  • It MIGHT approach Wolverine THD - plugged into "fireanimal's" 4 pair Sanken EF3.
  • Typically , complimentary ips's cancel even order harmonics. But , the odd's are so low it don't matter.

Seems a quite ideal endeavor as far as a design. Even if there is no interest - I shall have it.
below I have a FINAL schema to layout what ( I ) want. Off to the Sprint layout.
PS - this is a "branch" of the "Wolverine build thread" , I will make any design adaptable to the "wolverine EF3" , but
have no great interest in that thread. I want to at least match that design's performance with different topologies , but also want to
include our poorer hobbyist's in this project.
The "Wolverine EF3" is actually a modified HK680 (Slewmaster) OPS. I really don't have any rights to it ,but neither does anybody else.
I'm glad it was tested to the very limits of testing. COOL ! So , I will use it to to it's limit - I still can make it more robust ...
OS

Attachments

• Hellraiser.jpg
    Hellraiser.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: 3 users
The spook was done. I just never updated to Stuart's final IPS layout (he kept changing it - excessively ).
The Hellraiser and Spooky behave similar , have the same LED cascode. CFA = 250v++/uS Spooky = 120+
Both at 1-2ppm 20Khz/8R.
All these IPS's will run from dual 35-80V supplies. 70+ might need a few component tweaks (larger R on zener supplies , close attention to
Vce for devices).