DIY Westminster Royal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen:
Thanks again for explanation about TL/TQWT.

While we wait for some action I want to ask you a little question that has allways bothered me:
What is the difference between Alnico and Ferrite (or other materials), soundwise???
Not having heard those, its hard to me to stress further the wallet based on "it's better"-like opinions :D

Thanks in advance.
Mauricio

Hi max,
What is the difference between Alnico and Ferrite (or other materials), soundwise???
a good question.

The reason for adopting Ferrite was to reduce the cost of the magnet. The manufacturers went that route even though they had to redesign the magnetic circuit to suit the completely different characteristics of ferrite from alnico.

The fact that Tannoy have reverted indicates some kind of performance benefit and some manufacturers never joined the ferrite bandwagon until relatively recently.

Post #20

Did they make a rectangular Autograph? or is it a clone that I have seen on the web?

Am I right in my understanding that the current Westminster has reverted to using alnico and the pepperpot?

Does anyone know the differences between a Westminster driver and the ordinary range of drivers? It might give our cloner a clue to what would be a good driver.

1) Yes the rectangular Was a genuine Tannoy product
2) yes alnicp/pepper pots are iused

The Westies use the Alnico/pepperpot driver units.. no ferrite no plastic cones.. it makes genuine difference

Difference between Alnico and Ferrite?.. instantly recognisable if heard before :)
Ferrite gives a sharp edged bass impact, Alnico is a bit softer.. the more pleasant sound if the 2 are directlycompared, but everyone has differing preferences. Do note tho : in general Alnico speakers of whatever brand are highly prized.

Seems Alnico magnets is the best option to find a good and warm sound.But is another alternative....maybe the best sound ever all-that is electromagnet.It's strong,the sound is sublime,up to GOD.
The sound from field coils is simply....natural.....the nature is come in to your living room.The bass is not "boom" is simply--pleasure.
But...also expensive.I don't know why because materials is very common.

maxlorenz said:
Gentlemen:
Thanks again for explanation about TL/TQWT.

While we wait for some action I want to ask you a little question that has allways bothered me:
Not having heard those, its hard to me to stress further the wallet based on "it's better"-like opinions :D

Thanks in advance.
Mauricio

Se here some explanation about proprieties of Alnico compared with Ferrite in the construction of that JBL driver:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/projectmay/technology/1500al.htm

Thanks for the answers :)

Dear Felixx:

maybe the best sound ever all-that is electromagnet.
Any link??

I have to say that building speakers is a joy! Feeling wood's textute and smelling its odor is very pleasant.
Building electronic circuits is also fun but, for a guy like myself that doesn't have any strong base on electronics, it's a bit of stressing :( Well that may also be part of the fun :D ...
That nervousness before powering-on...:xeye:

Maybe that's one of the reasons why speaker builders are such nice and cooperative persons :)

(you know that some electronics threads become very hot sometimes :dead: )

Ciao
M.

maxlorenz said:
Hi again :)

Bear, do you actually heard GIZMO's system?
I've read this gentleman's review about the Westminster and he became my heroe after he stated he modded the beasts even before he have listened to them!
Maybe an exageration but anyway it speaks about self confidence :cool:
Now that he passed away it became my "DIY beginner protector spirit" to which I pray (after the Boss himself) before powering up new projects :D

I
Again, maybe good quality SS gear will be better to achieve the above mentioned qualities.

Cheers.
Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

Yes, I heard Gizmo's system a few times.

On the occasion I cited, he had invited a slew of NYC area tube designers and DIYers to bring their stuff over to see what there was to see (and hear). There were at least 20+ odd and assorted amps their with their owners... we heard them all.

Harvey's writing was always excited and he engaged in some "hyperbole" (exagerrations) - he was a very good PR person... he wanted to further the hobby of audio and share the excitment and mystique with others. I feel he was a very good "ambassador" for the hobby.

Other than his work at NYAL wrt Futterman, his book is his legacy. A great read for any audiophiles and/or DIYers.

The sound that I heard there was just what I heard there on that day with the Westminsters. Other places, same speaker, probably different results??

As far a speakers that are highly room dependent, like corner horns, I stay away from them, since you can not know in advance how your particular room is going to work or not work with that room! Like the Klipsh corner horns, I've heard them produce deep bass, and absolutely no deep bass at all. There is/was no good way to predict what they'd do in advance. I prefer speakers that are less room dependent (if possible) myself.

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

qi said:
ScottMoose

You mentioned you listened to the Westminsters, but did not say much about it.

Could you elaborate?

Just curious...

Easy. They were amongst the best 3 speakers I've ever heard. (The others being Linkwiz Orions and a set of massive Altec horns). They need a huge room to fully do them justice though, or you don't get the full impression of just how low they can reach. Massive soundstage, particularly in the depth and height, amazing detail, and very, very sensitive. They're a bit frightening for many people when they first hear them, because very few have ever actually heard what can be justifiably called a full-range speaker design, still less a point-source one. Wish I had a spare £15,000.

Hi everybody:

Bear:
I thank you for your comments and impressions.
In fact, I built a new room thinking about my future speakers :cool: They should sound OK.
The room is part of the speaker, surtout with bass.

I took a quick glance at your site :) very, very nice stuff.

Scottmoose and qi:
I expect that my Autographs will deliver quick, balanced sound, with details emerging like in real world. That is, based on what I read about them and also based on my 1:4 replica that I use as test speakers.

I will try to post a pic or two.
3 weeks and still fighting with the first Autograph :(
The second one should be faster because all the parts are cut.

...but your preference is Autographs because detailed plans are available?
No. It's because they are prettier :D

Before i forget...how much did the Autographs costed in the good old times???
I want to know how much I'm saving :clown:
Regards
M

Dear Qi:

Having completed the Autographs, I realize that modding it to make a rectangular Autograph, "á la Westminster" is not difficult at all. You only have to mod the rear horn last foldings.
I don't know how low they will reach. It's up to you to calculate ;)
If you wish I could make a drawing for you to evaluate.
In the end it will be much easier than the real Autograph, but taller and wider :cool:

Sincerelly yours...
M

PS: my Beyma 15KX is US$399/each, new, at :
http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 15KX-1.htm

Hi Qi:
These are only suggestions. The good part is that the main, central block, with the front horn, has known dimensions. ;)
If you feel its too tall (the diagram fell out of the page) or the throat dimension is too thin, you can modifie it with your wise "know how" and softwares (wich I lack) ;)

my.php

In black are the areas that would be discarded.
Around 6 feet tall :cool:

I can mail you directly the file for you to amplifie and mod it.

wait...

Sorry, I don't follow you.
Can you mark on the diagram what is your concern?

The problem is the maths involved in the horn calculations I guess. Maybe AndrewT can help you there.

As I said, one half (left) of the diagram (down-left) is the unmodified base for the Autograph. The right half is a suggestion on how it can be made square to imitate the Westminster. I will get wider and taller. If it is too tall you'll have to mod also the central throat length/angle.

Regards
M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.