DIY Westminster Royal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• westminster_cutaway.jpg
    westminster_cutaway.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,524
One Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg had a pair of the Westminster horns in his room. Albeit a giant huge, not very live room, fyi.

Not impressed.

It was run with a very wide range of tube amps and some solid state amps, iirc.

Imho, the little "horn" on the front doesn't buy you much of anything. The bass loading & output for that particular speaker was spectacularly poor.

Otoh, Martin's loading system does work - having heard his speakers. He gets rather impressive results from rather small and anemic looking drivers that in a sealed box or small ported box would likely not do much. So, if you build a speaker that has a folded horn of some sort that only mimics the Tannoy plan you might perhaps be on safe ground.

Just thinking out loud...

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

AndrewT - Tannoy have lots of 15" model numbers for different applications which are all pretty much identical. If I remember correctly from before Tannoy changed their website and still had the replacement part numbers listed, the Westminster used the 3833GG.
This is the same as the driver in the System 15 DMTII (3833) but with gold logo on cone, which appears to be same as 3836 used in CPA15 and 3860 in the CPA15FM (which just had a dust cap added - FM = Floor Monitor).
These are all Tulip Waveguide models, ferrite magnets. This was certainly true a year or so ago, don't know if anything has changed since.
John

Hi again :)

The big Autograph corner horn plans looked way too complicated for me -- so kudos to you!

Yes, they are complicated, but only the first pair :cool:

I could never find actual build plans for the Westminster, so I went my own way.
Why don't you try to contact directly a DIY builder?
Like this gentleman:
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy47.htm

Did they make a rectangular Autograph? or is it a clone that I have seen on the web?

I've seen a rectangular "PRO Autograph" somewhere.
I do like better the triangular beauty :)

in my understanding that the current Westminster has reverted to using alnico and the pepperpot?

Yes, I read that too. It seems that not all 38XX's are created equal... I asked a local distributor about prices for DC...still waiting for the reply :mad:

One Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg had a pair of the Westminster horns in his room. Albeit a giant huge, not very live room, fyi.

Bear, do you actually heard GIZMO's system?
I've read this gentleman's review about the Westminster and he became my heroe after he stated he modded the beasts even before he have listened to them!
Maybe an exageration but anyway it speaks about self confidence :cool:
Now that he passed away it became my "DIY beginner protector spirit" to which I pray (after the Boss himself) before powering up new projects :D

I believe, from what I've read and also heard from my tinny Autograph's replica, that the important thing about this kind of enclosure's bass output is its speed and the capacity to reproduce bass armonics well, not quite the depth of it. Any thoughts?

It was run with a very wide range of tube amps and some solid state amps, iirc

Again, maybe good quality SS gear will be better to achieve the above mentioned qualities.

Cheers.
Mauricio

Maxlorenz

Why don't you try to contact directly a DIY builder?
Like this gentleman:
http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy47.htm

Thanks, I did that some time ago, but never heard back from Mr. Green

Bear, do you actually heard GIZMO's system?
I've read this gentleman's review about the Westminster and he became my heroe after he stated he modded the beasts even before he have listened to them!
Maybe an exageration but anyway it speaks about self confidence
Now that he passed away it became my "DIY beginner protector spirit" to which I pray (after the Boss himself) before powering up new projects

I listened to Westminster Royals driven by high-end gear at a ritzy audio shop in Manhatten, NY.

I was absolutely blown away.

I used to listen to Klipshorns at the MusicBox in Wellesley Ma when I was at school.

I much preffered the Tannoys -- lots more bottom end.

They say they are down 6db at 18hz in a corner.

I believe it (the Klipshorns barely got to 30hz).

Dear qi :
Thanks, I did that some time ago, but never heard back from Mr. Green
Sorry to hear that :(

I listened to Westminster Royals driven by high-end gear at a ritzy audio shop in Manhatten, NY.

I envy you :mad: I've never listened to the big Tannoys.
I think in two weeks I will have mine completed.
They will be driven activelly biamped with Hypex' UCD180 :cool:

Thanks for the .pdf link. I have missed it before. It is OK and only differs +/-1cm here and there from my final dimensions. Most useful is the front horn diagram, wich is a pain to build :(

After I recover from the building I will make a 2:3 version :D to fit a 8'' fullrange or a 10'' Monitor Gold.

Best wishes.
Mauricio

Hi,
that spec reference to 18Hz was something I found difficult to believe knowing that the Westminster bass horn is truncated somewhat early.

But you just said -6db when corner loaded. That makes much more sense.
However Tannoy's figure implies 18Hz performance with just floor loading. The Westminster were never designed for corner loading, the Autograph was.

AndrewT

Well, according to a guy who sells them, they have to be in a corner to get that low.

maxlorenz

There are actual AutoCad plans at that same link I posted.

That is -- the 1st link (at the bottom, and downloadable).

For future builds, you can have them CNCd with the AutoCad plans :cool:

Good luck with the rest of it! We are all ears...

I heard a pair of the current (or fairly close) Westminsters a couple of years back, driven by Boarder Patrol valve amps. Sub 20Hz is not a problem. They were fairly near corners, but not rammed right back into them. They need a huge room though.

I love the GRF Autographs. I've a pair of 12in Golds in storage, waiting for the day when I own a room large enough to do them justice. I fancy a modified version of the GRF A cabinet for them. There was a company in the UK that build reproduction cabinets for them a while back -don't know if they're still in business now though.

Hi Scottmoose :)

There was a company in the UK that build reproduction cabinets for them a while back -don't know if they're still in business now though.
You probably mean this one:
http://www.octave-aw.co.uk/
"Website under revision" it says...I saw their photos.
Excellent work :lickface:
They probably ask $$$ for them.

I am building Autograph's fronthorn wich is a nightmare :bawling:
Not very satisfied...

I love the GRF Autographs. I've a pair of 12in Golds in storage, waiting for the day when I own a room large enough to do them justice.

I see Autograph's sex-appeal is not so uncommon :D Great!
Golds in storage appear like a sin for this third-world fanatic...sorry to say :angel:
That said, I also have to declare that anyone trying to build these enclosures or similar ones is risking his marriage! ;)
Not for the size but for the time and effort needed to do it.

Regards
Mauricio
Autographolic

Thanks for the link. Although the site's not functional, I recognise the name now. Good find!

Would it ease my sins if I told you that they did reside in my living room for a time in 8 foot tall TQWTs? I just don't have the physical floorspace, and the room is just too small to do them justice. That's why they are awaiting a bigger room, so they can be properly appreciated when the time comes. Golds are like a good wine from your fine country -they improve with maturity.

Hi dears:

Would it ease my sins if I told you that they did reside in my living room for a time in 8 foot tall TQWTs?

Oh! :eek: Don't know what TQWT could be but certainly sounds impressive :D ... and earns you redemption...:angel:

Auto-quote:
That said, I also have to declare that anyone trying to build these enclosures or similar ones is risking his marriage!
Well, I may be wrong there. Yesterday she offered to varnish the inside ;) for increased strenght and endurance.

Golds are like a good wine from your fine country -they improve with maturity.
I believe you. Thanks for your kind words about my beloved country :) I can help you choose the wright chilean wine ;) if you need. Here, for 2.5GBP you can have ambrosia

I was offered a pair of 10'' Golds for +/-180GBP

Here: http://profesional.beyma.com/producto.php
you can find my coaxial wich is in fact a used 15KX.
I wonder if I can get some serious SPL...woofer handles 300W and 2''tweeter handles 100W, sens. is around 98db/W/m :angel:
...and Autographs increases it around +6db :bigeyes:

Ciao
M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.