• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is absolutely the case.

I am now consulting for a Chinese transducer manufacturer, and let me tell you, they are novices at basic engineering. Their best guy was eduated in EU, but even he is only average as far as the level of expertise that I am used to in the US. If they ever start to really learn this area they will wipe out everybody. But they no more want to learn the details than anyone that I know wants to teach them. I have tried and tried to arrange to teach courses in China - not the slightest interest.
:DIt's the way you arrange it, not whether you arrange it.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, right
I should have mentioned that the factory I mentioned was a clothing factory
In our country journalists travel all over the world, documenting such things
They do it to prove that when people making promisses about this and that, concerning their products being made under good conditions, its mostly not true

Just recently it was about goose feathers being plugged off living geese
All sorts of things we dont like to know about, happens all over the world
Children in India plugging the lead out of acid batteries
Or poor people selling some of their organs, and become sick afterwards, because of sloppy surgery
The list is long

Last edited:
To a westerner these cultures are all quite similar but to them they are very very centered on their own and all others are inferior. Read "The Rape of Nanjing" if you want to understand why the Chinese and Japanese dislike each other so much.
I think this is not correct. There are variety of opinions among this generation, just like any other country. If you just associate with a small group, then you think that represents the whole thing. We call this "blind man's view of an elephant".
I once walked into a shop in the Czech Republic, in an attempt to find someone that could speak English, I asked one store attendent "do you speak English?" and he responded "Yes, but why should I!" What does this tell us?

Last edited:
Well, right
I should have mentioned that the factory I mentioned was a clothing factory
In our country journalists travel all over the world, documenting such things
They do it to prove that when people making promisses about this and that, concerning their products being made under good conditions, its mostly not true

Just recently it was about goose feathers being plugged off living geese
All sorts of things we dont like to know about, happens all over the world
Children in India plugging the lead out of acid batteries
The list is long
Bear in mind that what is considered good conditions some places, may be considered luxurious in other. The key is whether the businessman is really interested in making more money or do they really care about the living and working conditions. Most businesses from advanced countries go to other countries to lower cost for exports to other countries, only the large enterpises strategically expand market and provide good working conditions.

Well, We have seen documentary from chinese factories where hundreds of women are working
Locked up, until they are permitted to go home
They live there, eat there, sleep there, gate locked, cant leave
That is, if they want the money, which is probably just enough to keep the famely from hunger
Surely no place fore making quality products
Its slavery
From a management point of view, management method needs to adapt to different educational backgrounds. If you have experienced the growth process from underdeveloped to developed country, you will understand better. I think Obama seems to understand this.

I have more than normal contact with the Chinese, my wife is Chinese. I wouuld say that they are "eager to please". But spending money on a class that does not make you boss more money NEXT WEEK will not please him. They have an even shorter time horizon for payback than we do here. But if they are students, then yes, they are very eager to learn, because they want the best grade.

They are also eager to get your knowledge, as long as they don't have to pay for it. They recognize the value of knowledge and free is always a good value. But a hunger for knowledge for the sake of simply knowing more - no, I do not see that in the Chinese (in general, on the Mainland). They only want to know enough to be successful and have no hunger for more than that.
I will be visiting some relative in the Mainland next month. So I should have some first hand information.:D

One would think all that money in production costs could buy some decent roundovers!

I've not heard the YG speakers, but there's nothing there to suggest that they'd be that interesting or special.

I've heard the YG Speakers, actually heard them the same day I met Dr Geddes. I bought the Summas, so I guess that tells you what I thought about the YGs... :D

But seriously, they're not bad by any means. They remind me a lot of Magicos. Solid engineering packages in an insanely over-engineered enclosure.

Even if they were 90% cheaper, I'd still buy the Summas.

This is absolutely the case.

I am now consulting for a Chinese transducer manufacturer, and let me tell you, they are novices at basic engineering. Their best guy was eduated in EU, but even he is only average as far as the level of expertise that I am used to in the US. If they ever start to really learn this area they will wipe out everybody. But they no more want to learn the details than anyone that I know wants to teach them. I have tried and tried to arrange to teach courses in China - not the slightest interest.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and there's no love for globalism here. The WTO riots spelled that out. But the part that they didn't understand is that globalism eventually raises the cost of living EVERYWHERE. For instance, you can now purchase a home in Nevada or Michigan for less than what it costs to buy a house in Thailand or India. My home is in a quiet and safe area, yet a house a block from me sold for $75000 six month ago. And in Detroit $75000 will buy a city block.

Give it a few years; eventually a lot of this manufacturing will migrate back to the United States. Businesses will always seek out the cheapest place to manufacture their goods, and the cost of doing business overseas is getting higher every year.

I've heard the YG Speakers, actually heard them the same day I met Dr Geddes. I bought the Summas, so I guess that tells you what I thought about the YGs... :D

But seriously, they're not bad by any means. They remind me a lot of Magicos. Solid engineering packages in an insanely over-engineered enclosure.

It's kind of nice that you at least heard them on the same day, even though not side by side (impossible!). My mind is notorious for forgetting details, and with the Summas, I only remember a very lasting 'impression.' I'm patiently awaiting my Abbey's from Earl.

Even those Magicos are priced in the stratosphere. And I have no idea where their drivers are from or if they are just built in house.

Anand.

Give it a few years; eventually a lot of this manufacturing will migrate back to the United States. Businesses will always seek out the cheapest place to manufacture their goods, and the cost of doing business overseas is getting higher every year.

Add to this an ever upward trend for fule and shiping costs and very soon everything thats sold in the US will have to be made in the US. It will still be reasonable to send expertise arround the globe, but not steel and ceramic magnets, etc. MY nieghbor sells truck frames. They started building them in the US, then they went to China. Then the shipping costs went through the roof and now they build them in the US again. Shipping will only ever get more expensive, it will never go down.

I've listened to the Magicos a few times. They are good, but really still lacking in a way that does not let you feel the performer. It's like, you look at a beautiful woman, but you don't feel the emotion. The YG's have gained some rave, I look forward to listening to them some time.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
The Abbey photo looks great. Be careful not to overexpose it (or brighten it too much afterward). Black objects should look close to black, as long as you don't loose any shadow detail. I would not go too crazy on lenses and camera gear. Product photos on the internet is 'the wild west' of color control. What the viewer is seeing is completely out of your control due to monitor variations and subjective adjustments (kind of like speakers and tone controls actually ;)). Your lens is plenty sharp, not distorted, and you've got a knack for good lighting and composition. Those are the most important aspects, and they are all well covered.

..Todd

Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I think this is not correct. There are variety of opinions among this generation, just like any other country. If you just associate with a small group, then you think that represents the whole thing. We call this "blind man's view of an elephant".
I once walked into a shop in the Czech Republic, in an attempt to find someone that could speak English, I asked one store attendent "do you speak English?" and he responded "Yes, but why should I!" What does this tell us?

I would agree with George. My wife is from Taiwan, went to college in Japan and we spend plenty of time in China, Taiwan and Japan. I think the deep-rooted animosities and prejudices are somewhat lost on the younger generations (like us 40-somethings.) But the elder folks still trash-talk the neighbour countries.

..Todd

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
They have just found that the Italian mafia has been dumping nuclear and toxic waste in the sea, big time
They estimate theres around 400 shipwrecks involved

Just recently we have seen the SpikeLee documentary from the floated Louisiana, showing that the help was far from good, to say the least

Point is, different people are treated differently
Some are worth more than others

Well, enough of that

Last edited:
The Abbey photo looks great. ... Your lens is plenty sharp, not distorted, and you've got a knack for good lighting and composition.

Are you serious? Obviously during all that "great many years in advertising, marketing, and even in a few in the product photography studio as a photographer and art director" you didn't learn a lot. The image is blurred, shows compression artefacts and a pincushion distortion.

5 minutes in Photoshop:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But who am I ...

Markus I'm sorry but I don't see the pincushion distortion or artifacts you claim. The image is too small for me to tell for sure, and all the ones posted here and on Dr. Geddes site have been clearly sized and compressed for web use, but otherwise look fine to me. I'd be shocked to find pincushion distortion in the lens he is using, even at it's widest angle I've only ever noticed very mild pincushion distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.