• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pooge said:
Earl,

Is there an economical way to say, cast the initial flare as a universal part. IOW, from the throat to the distance a 10" version would start its radius to the baffle?

Then, use different baffles for different sized waveguides to terminate the waveguide, and bolt the "universal" flare on the back of the baffle?

The cast part can be made with close tolerance where it is needed, and made in greater numbers for better bulk manufactering.

The plug could then hide any joint, and the baffle could then be made any size.

Good ideas, I have thought of this before. But it doesn't save anything in tooling costs and might be higher. For three baffles there are now four parts and four molds instead of three. each mold costs just about the same since size and complexity is not a major factor in price, its setup and material.

I've risked too much and lost to take any risks again.

I was thinking the baffles could be made out of stacks of MDF or the like with a hole cut to receive the cast part. I don't know the numbers, but since waveguides aren't that deep, I thought the baffles could make up the depth needed to complete the waveguide. Getting a 2" radius edge may be difficult, though. It may be cost effective to have a shop route those in quantity after the baffles are laminated to depth.

Although a CNC router is expensive to set up, once set up, it could probably be cost effective to route in quantity, even if not all at once. The program could be saved until the next batch comes in.

musical noise said:
Dr. Geddes,

Understand the high set up costs for the molds but don't you still have the mold that you were using to fabricate the summas' baffles originally? Just curious.

gedlee said:

Everything is cost effective once its paid for and setup.

I thought of that too and I will probably do that if I ever do the larger 15", but thats #3 down the road.

There is simply no way that I am going to start a second design until I am sure that I can get the first one working, get an idea of the labor and costs, and sold a few. This is at least a month away, probably longer.

I don't know why

all of you guys insist on those 12", 15" versions if nobody directly compared the designs and Dr only says that they measure better ? I'd rather expect 10" woofer to sound better in midrange and mid bass than 12", 15"honkers . Seems to me that smaller design is less "compromised" than bigger ones.
Regards, L

As far as doing them in wood, I've done that too. It ends up being so expensive that only a few millionares (like one) have opted for that approach. From what I can tell, people are mostly interested in apperance OR sound, but very seldom both. But if any of you out there are millionares who want all wood cabinets (they really can't be veneered because of the fact that there are no flat surfaces) I'd be more than happy to make them for you. The baffles for 15" Summas in solid wood would be about $4000 a pair. The final product ends up being close to $10,000 a pair if you have someone else do the work, but no less than $5000 a pair if you do the work yourself.

Earl,
If this was in reply to my reference about Jim Salk, you misunderstand my suggestion. I would see Salk using your baffles with waveguides on his cabinets. Of course you can't veneer the waveguide, but Salk could paint it and with the rest of the cabinet finished in his superior veneers you could have nice product. You are dead wrong about people being concerned with either sound or looks but not both. Salk sells because his speakers sound great and look great. For the record, I think speakers sound best when not seen. But in the real world they are seen more hours than they are listened to. Many potential buyers have spouses whose opinion counts when it comes time to purchase. As for myself, I make my own cabinets-and they look pretty good and tend to sound that way too. While I think it is great that you are considering the DIY market there is another segment you may be missing. Selah Audio is another that offers both kits and completed speakers in beautiful cabinets. They are also well respected for the sound quality of their products. You are missing the boat if you think it is either sound quality or looks but not both.
LAL

Re: I don't know why

limono said:
all of you guys insist on those 12", 15" versions if nobody directly compared the designs and Dr only says that they measure better ? I'd rather expect 10" woofer to sound better in midrange and mid bass than 12", 15"honkers . Seems to me that smaller design is less "compromised" than bigger ones.
Regards, L

Make no mistake about it, the bigger systems do sound better (and measure better). Size does matter. How much better for how much more size and money - well that's the real question isn't it!?

I use the largest systems in my own home if that tells you anything.

MethMan said:
Dr. Geddes,
I am interested in buying 2 WG/baffles. Could you estimate the shipping cost to Europe (Czech) or, could you give me an idea of weight and your chosen shipping company?

Thanks for your interest. Praha is one of my favorite cities.

I need to get them to the point where I can make them in quantity, then I will consider shiping issues arround the world. I may not be able to make more than I can sell locally for awile. I'll know more in a couple of weeks. I don't even know the weight at this point.

Waveguides in larger sizes

I just got a shipment of waveguides from Thailand. Did not know for sure that this would happen. It took awhile. I only got 6 in 10" and 12". These are probably already sold to people who put down deposits. I will know when I get responses back from those people who paid a deposit if they want these or the ones that I will make.

It does appear that I will be able to get these from Thailand and then I can get them in any size. To order them I would need an idea of how many to order and that means a deposit. I can't promise a time frame, but it would be at least 6 weeks.

Dr. Geddes,

From the other tread I am aware that your Summa have wide sweet spot. Out of the 3 model. Which has the widest sweet spot? Also, how tolerable is Summa with non ideal placement in the listning room. How happy with they be placing beside a wide screen TV?

Sam

SamL said:
Dr. Geddes,

From the other tread I am aware that your Summa have wide sweet spot. Out of the 3 model. Which has the widest sweet spot? Also, how tolerable is Summa with non ideal placement in the listning room. How happy with they be placing beside a wide screen TV?

Sam

About 90% of my listening is done with the 15's as thats what I have at home. I'd say that the sweet spot should be the same for all of them, the 15" is just smoother. The speakers would be very happy beside a large screen TV (as long as you DON'T use a center channel - use Phantom mode). Just toe them in - they would work great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.