DIY Video Projector Part II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am back!!!

finally back from vacation. i got to pack 5 things to ship after i sold them on ebay....dammit.

ok, Undream, is that NEW design of yours actually any smaller than the previous one. it looks like it is as long. maybe i am wrong.

and why are we all talking some bull$h!T about how we need to calculate the optical problems. when the major problem we need to work on is getting i smaller LCD. i have searched all around, but all i get is some cr@p. if it is small, resolution sux. if resolution ans other parameters are ok, it is too big.

you see, i can make a projector right now. it will work pretty much like Undream's, and be about the same size, but i do not wanna waste time.

i think that we all need a better LCD than the one that projection panel has to offer. am i not right?

solution comes at the cost of wisdom.....

aleksey.:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
prjctr_builder,

Some people are happy with what a projection panel can do.

Some people like you are not. They want more lumens , more resolution, more contrast, more vibrant colors, more of everything. There's nothing wrong with that except a panel is not going to drop into your lap is it.

We got the technology and the skills now here on this thread and the one before just one thing missing. A suitable panel.

Ok why don't you take a good LCD monitor rip it apart and use that. Good contrast good colors. Because as has been found it can be impossible to remove the electronics out of the way, and too big.

What about a smaller LCD monitor. Are they available. Do they have the right inputs. Can the electronics be shifted.
Answer Yes/ no/maybe

I learned a valuable lesson year or two back when I was searching for polygons. Email someone for a price and availablity. Answer. No sorry none available. Everytime. Reason. My enquiry was too small and too simple. The office girl could answer it. So I made my enquiries much more complex specifying optical parameters etc so it had to go to an engineer. After that I always got an answer with prices. As soon as I included specifications Asian suppliers emailed an answer within 2 days.
They love specifications. They think you are an engineer.

So if you are looking for LCD panels and getting nowhere, make a plan. Lets call it Alecksey's I am going to get a panel plan. Thats AP for short.

First of all how many inputs, what res and dont go overboard on that or you'll end up paying for something you never use. What do you reckon. Just video or video + computer. Say 800x600 just for fun. You need svideo.? You need other inputs.? Stick em down.

Now what size you want. 6 inch panel ok. Say 5-8 inches
How about a LCD monitor in that size range. Anything in the shops. If there are you will have to get on the right side of a tech see if the electronics can be moved out of the way. Chances are very slim because most are chip on glass. That means they dont worry about a pc board just glue stuff straight on the back of the lcd. Sometimes the glass panel is big enough to allow projection so its worth looking. The outstanding advantage of a monitor is you can see how good it looks before buying.

Contrast. Typical panel =100:1. Not spectacular. You want at least 400:1

Colors. You have to specify colors or they will send you a black and white panel. Its all powers of bits. 16 bits ok 24 bits better but of course the more color you have the faster the panel electrics have to be to display all those colors or else it guesses an approximation. I would be happy with 24 bit color.

Smearing. I assume you are looking for full motion video so that goes into the spec list.

Ok now you have a spec for a panel. Where to buy.
Well your best bet is Taiwan, South Korea or China. If you go for South Korea dont forget to tell them how wonderful they did in the World Cup Soccer. Probably send you one for free.

Normal search engines are useless for this sort of stuff. You have to get a lead on Tiwanese LCD manufactiurers there are only about 400. The best place is Global services. Search for that. Register. Tell them what you are interested in and you will find them very helpful.

When you have narrowed your search down to a handfull of manufacturers then you can hit them with your spec list.

While you are waiting have a look at LCD-252. It was in #1 thread. Not a bad little panel. Video only full color removable electronics (looks like) and $85 + $25 shipping to your door.

Nobody caters for DIY people. Their orders are too small so you have to have a plan to prize one out of them. If plan A doesnt work plan B or plan C will.

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
I already asked for free sample. What does #*@ #&!!%% mean in Taiwanese. I think it means no free samples.

Google lcd-252

LCD-252 $85+25 shipping could be more/less shipping cost to your location .
2.5 inch
NTSC/PAL video
Resolution 480x234
Contrast 120:1
Operating temperature 60 degrees centigrade.

Picture shows the electronics on a movable panel.

Too low resolution to be useful??. If they make one like this chances are they make a better one that could be very suitable.

Price was quoted by email 2 months ago. May have changed since then.

Can't remember who posted this but they should get credit for it.

huh?

i checked out all the links that undream has on his website, and the ones that refer to LCD panels just sell cr@p. they are aweful. the panels have low res, contrast and stufflike that. and worst of all they are about 300 dollars at least. what is going on?

i think that we need to try to take our panels apart and use the LCD only. like you know how the top end sharp panels have a nice contrast and resolution, maybe we could use them. and 10.4" is not that huge. i think that i can live with the parameters that panels have to offer.

aleksey:(

LOL

now all of the sudden everyone is intersted in my QA-2500.
i just contacted one of my friends who was selling it one ebay and he made a private auction for me. i ended it with BUY NOW, and he pays for shipping.

here are the specs.

Actice TFT Matrix
True XGA (1024x768)
150:1 contrast ratio
100khz refresh rate
computer, VHS, DVD, and audio inputs.
all the functions you can get, frame freeze, Zoom...etc.
5 lb weight

yes, this is the best projection panel available to us, at a reasonable price.

i have a friend who might sell one really soon. if you want one , please contact me and i will TRY to arrange the sale. :)

ok, ask me questions!!!

aleksey:)

sorry about flooding

and to add some more to the specs.

24-bit color ( 16.7 million TRUE colors)

most of the panels claim to generate as much, but they do it digitally. Sharp panels 1800 and up have a special chip that generates TRUE 16.7 million colors. that is why the quality of those things is so good.

i will provide you with an article, that talks about this chip.

QA-2500 is a KILLER:)

aleksey:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.