DIY Video Projector Part II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well finally got a price on a .7" svga LCD with converter that has s-video and composite...... $4000 hmm **** back to the drawing board we were so freaking close man!!! well he did say it was $2200 if i bought 100 of them :/ im bout to give up the technology is not here yet give it a few more years or so before building a small high quality projector. Unless you got deep pockets and have nothing else to buy.

Gunawan,
your idea with two sperical mirrors should work fine. :scratch2:..Just, as 100% of the visible and infrared radiation hitting the front mirror (a considerable spatial angle) are reflected back on the filament,i would be concerned about overheating the bulb, particularly the filament. :scratch:..Whether this setup ages your bulb excessively, longterm experiments will have to show.

spherical reflector

Hi dice45,
actually using spherical reflector to reflect back the light to the lamp filament is not my own idea, it's commonly used by commercial OHP, I just want to show that spherical reflector can produce good result.
Many of us couldn't find or "DIY" reflector with good result because of wrong type / shape / size of the reflector, so I tried a cheap, simple and easy one of reflector setup and so far I have a good result with setup as fig.1 of my previous drawing.

lcd panel

originaly posted by the whiner:

"I know there were many discussions about this, but I am still convinced it is possible to connect laptop’s LCD screen to desktop PC!..........Maybe it is possible to take digital signal from desktop’s video card, somewhere between GPU and digital/analog converter, and to lead it to LCD! I THINK IT WOULD BE THE MOST PROMISING AND CHEAPEST WAY TO DO IT!..................

............Why should you mess with it?..............................

1. I bought broken laptop for 50$, I sold HD, CD-ROM and adapter for 100$, and now I have LCD and 50$
2. Laptop’s LCD have much better specs than projection panel (which costs >200$)
3. Laptop’s LCD have polarisers etc., and it is much easier to build lighting device for it than for projection panel. If you look at laptop’s LCD, you will see that lighting tube is placed at one side of it, and screen is lighted evenly all over its surface, without hotspots etc. So, i think it could be lighted even with fluorescent light, without need to use reflectors, fresnels, etc!
4. Even if you are not making projector with such screen, this way you can get LCD desktop monitor for free!"

lcd panel

originaly posted by stoko:

"quote from:

http://www.techwarelabs.com/communi...?t=1313&start=0

Hi. electrical engineer & college proffesor here.
Working on the same project. here is the deal. tou CAN use a laptop screen on a standard PC. Configuring it to work with you analog VGA card is possible, but VERY VERY impracticle. here is what I reccomend for cost efficiency and ease. I know you want to keep it cheap.
if you dont have a main board yet (or if you do and have all the parts and pieces, IE chip, memory, etc) purchase a EBC 552 pc card. everything is built in including a TFT controller. then its just an issue of making a connector and matching the pins. these cards are made for AMD, Pentium, and VIA Cyrix, so you can buy the to match the CPU and memory you already have. they go for about 100$. kind of expensive, but its the closest
to plug and play as it gets. you'll easily spend 100 in parts and pieces to make a standart VGA card work....and you might end up burning something up. "

Has anyone tried using the new super bright LED for a light source ... ( I know it was ruled out earlier because of the cost )

I did a web search on LED + LUMENS on google and came up with a LED that is supposed to emit 125 lumens.... could this be real? Couldn't find a price though.....

LED as lightsource

It was in the first thread. Cost was an issue for sure (how much would you spend if each LED cost $2(for example) and only put out 125 lumen? Don't forget the loss associated with going through the LCD panel (>75% and some say 90%). You're talking big bucks there alone. Factor in the difficulty with focusing all those LED's? Fuggetaboutit.

Enjoy.

Hello

I once participated for this forum actively but it stopped when I had to reinstall Windows and this site woulnd't recognize me anymore. I couldn't remember the pwd and my email wasn't working anymore so I couldn't receive the pwd.
So anyway I stumbled to this site few days ago and tried all the possible passwords I've ever used and got lucky.

Anyway I have ohp+proxima ovation 810 setup but never use it really. The reason is simple: Big screen with shitty picture isn't just very enjoyable to watch. In my setup the problems are:
- Panel is so old so it has faded from various places
- It "lags" so in really fast motion scenes you can see it drawing it
- You can see the pixels
- Colors look very toy
- Ohp leaks light quite a lot
- It's noisy as anything

You can ofcourse ignore these and try to enjoy the movie itself but after watching 10 or 15 movies with it (atleast in my case) you just really want to watch them from the good old tv.

So I'm just intrested has anyone here achieved something that after watching 15 movies you still can honestly say that you find it more enjoyable to watch from your screen than tv?

Also has anyone had any luck using TFT-monitor as panel without breaking it? And if so, how good are the results compared to normal projection panels? And compared to tv?-)

Anyway, keep up the good work. It's fun even if it doesn't replace tv.

fer sher!

Hello again Bitch,

I for one can definitely say that I enjoy my projector far more than my TV, for hours of viewing. My OHP is only 3000 lumens! But of course my panel has a good response time and pretty good color. The only reason I still watch video on my TV(well, my HTPC's 19" monitor) is for convenience. I still need an easy way to switch to the projector, and a good place to mount it permantly, other than the middle of the room. :rolleyes:

I do not think it's time to give on this project. I am trying to get a metal halide system locally. and jam it in my OHP. The optics work the way they are, and I'm OK with the size. I just need a brighter light source, and to figure out the best way to mount it.

You're being warn Axeman, "jam it in my OHP" is an understatement, unless you know what you are heading too. I hope you are not at foolish as I was to think that by placing any bulb in your OHP will make the OHP magically work. Have you check around the post for a MIH setup up yet. It really helpful.

http://www.bulbs.com/products/product_detail.asp?page=products&inventory=9722
(better price here http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/catpages/1383.htm)

This is about the most reasonable balance of MH, reflector, and cost I've seen. It's a PAR38 narrow spot (16deg) that's 4-3/4" diameter, and it takes a cheap M57 ballast. Get a medium socket (~5$), make a metal can, open up the back of your OHM and try to mount it.

bulb - $90
ballast - $50
socket - $ 5

It _says_ 60,000 lumens, but I doubt it. And it doesn't have the greatest life, but 7500 hours @ $90 = $0.012/hour.

I was toying around with trying to make a reflector so I could use a regular mogul bulb, but this seems much, much easier. If the light output is anywhere near accurate, I might be in business.

I will be trying this setup in a cheapo 3M projector I got for the goose-egg in the next month or so. I'll tell you how it works out. And if it doesn't, I'll have a great way to **** off my neighbors. Midnight sun in the backyard!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.