DIY upper-mid horn design help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DSC_0086_zpsnkpf3kxj.jpg

also thought id picture up my PC/DSP setup. Im using a PC for the USB connection to the DSP, and then a router permanantly installed for wireless network access using my Laptop and TeamViewer

DSC_0105_zpsqr8olbuo.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsk4g4lftt.jpg

So far I've only been listening at close range so the plan is to build their homes this Tuesday/Wednesday in a MTM setup.
So far they've proven to take alot of Eq to get them even remotely musical. But again, I'm using one and a tweeter and seriously close range.

I'll post back with more detail once I've tried using the whole setup.

hi guys, sorry for the delay, i got these buttoned up as of tuesday. im happy with how they sound.

on their own, they sound like a paging horn. they do. but throw in some EQ, proper reasonable cutoff points, (im using 450-4000) and they sound rather nice.

clean, clear, effortless sound. I cant wait to get them outside and test them properly, but so far inside they are dam loud! most importantly, louder than what i had! and much less harsh.

DSC_0119_zpsdtprtma5.jpg

and a pic sitting on a 2way 12" for reference.

DSC_0121_zpst7lhgiw1.jpg

I can't put a dB rating on them as I don't have a meter. I'll have a better idea of the definition after nye which will be their first outing.

Measure about 550mm across. And cost about 90.00 aud each horn/driver plus wood at about 50.00 per box. Add in the d220ti I already had and the pair cost me approx 700.00 to build. Maybe slightly under.

i'll have to check aussie bucks compared to canuck bucks to get my head around the price point.

i'll await the posting of the curve.

part of the reason i asked about the horn material was after involving myself in a discussion about audible horn distortion the topic of structural damping arose i think your horns may be candidates for this kind of mod.
so if you have a current measurement as built it would be interesting to see if applying a damping material to the outside of the horn would make a marked measurable improvement.

I have already sprayed the inside surface of the outer horn section in a polyurethane paint. Which I think has already taken some of the tinny sound away plus having them clamped down on a foam tape has helped minimise edge resonances too probably?

They definitely sound less harsh mounted than they did free air but not once have I taken any measurements as I have no measuring equipment beyond my ears and experience

I was going to use the bracket that came with them but I made the box just a fraction too short to make use of it unfortunately. I may make up a brace for the driver but at this point I'm happy with the current strength. I feel maybe another set of clamps around the perimeter will be required but beyond that they're pretty light. I'm thinking they will sound better if I put some bitumen type matting on the back side of the horn flare. Which I do think I'll do but only after nye. I'll try and remember to keep this thread updated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.