DIY upper-mid horn design help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes i do. i cant seem to improve upon the upper extension. ive played with all the dimensions now and i can get it quite peaky, but cant get it to rise above the 1k mark. the 2k mark is 6db down at best.

i just checked the specs on my tweeter, which is a selenium D220ti, and they claim to have a response of 1k-21k.

ill post a pic of what i have in a sec.

here is what im working with atm.

8inchsim_zpskhgzxqhg.jpg

just playing with hornresp at the moment. playing with the VTC measurement, ie: increasing it, ive actually gained output upto 1000hz, but the dropoff is steeper. what am i actually changing there?

The throat chamber acts as an acoustical low pass filter.

Increasing the volume Vtc will lower the upper rolloff frequency. Try doubling Vtc from 120cc to 240cc in your design, to see the effect.

I was told by Mr mcbean that if I simulate the horn and then mark it as two drivers in parallel that the response would be as if two horns exist and are measuring the total response.

For the case you are referring to, I actually said speakers, not drivers :).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp-304.html#post3286857

It is important to distinguish between multiple drivers and multiple speakers, as defined in Hornresp.

One horn loudspeaker with multiple identical drivers - multiple drivers.
Multiple identical horn loudspeakers - multiple speakers.

Note that each of the multiple horn loudspeakers can also contain multiple drivers, if required.

so in doubling or "marking as two drivers" does hornresp assume one larger horn or that there's a divider between the two parallel stacked horns? i'm trying to envision the construction of this mt 130 with 2 12's

"Two drivers" in Hornresp means that the specified horn has two drivers.

"Two speakers" in Hornresp means that there are two of the specified horns in close proximity to each other.

Thanks for the clarification David.

I'm at the point of trying to work out how to plot out the physical horn.

So far I've got throat dimensions, horn length and mouth dimension. Can't for the life of me work out how to plot out the curve when the top n bottom are flat but tapered, and then also having a phase plug in the center.... Do I just run a straight square post right to the mouth or go pyramid or something different... I'm a little lost on this step.

I read that a typical expo horn is at y=2x but I couldn't put that on paper while accounting for the other two parameters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.