DIY TurnTable arm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The scary thing is that it is an AC synchronous motor. I measured the frequency of my mains and they are exactly 60Hz so the playing speed should be fine ;)

My current plan is to build up a massive plinth for the rek-o-kut to attempt to address rumble issues, and mount some sort of vintage arm suitable for moving coil cartridges. An SME 3009 if I can find a good deal on one. Of course the 3012 would be ultimate, but those have been selling for WAY to much money lately.

I am working on a 6gk5 based phono stage that should be pretty cool, and have a pair of Altec mic input transformers for MC step-up, probably a Denon 130. Basically I am following the Thorens TD-125 recipe, but with a rek-o-kut. I have heard good things about this setup and it fits well with the parts I have on hand.

Does anybody know of a distributor for replacement parts for SME arms. I have seen a couple that have missing weights or need new armwands or whatever. These would be a great way to score a cheap arm.

jsn

The old Linn Basik was supposed to be very good with the high energy of a MC cartridge because of it's higher thatn average dynamic mass, and probably a lot cheaper than the SME arm. If you are using the Altec x-formers are we to assume that it is then a balanved input?

Attachments

• buster_sm.jpg
    buster_sm.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 467
My phono stage will be single ended, and I had been planning on implementing the setups the same way Joseph Esmilla does:

http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/mic-mcstep-up.htm

But of course the phono cart is inherently balanced... but where is the reference to ground. Hm.

How would a phono cartridge be wired for a balanced signal to the phono stage? Just lift the groud and connect the leads from each coil to the input transformer, and then ground the primary center tap?

jsn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.