DIY Troels Gravesen Revelator 851 build

Finished the speakers yesterday. The paintjob was made by a professional car painter. The end result is amazing I think. They look like a high end commercial product and sounds like it too. I added a small brass sign in the bottom. All that is left to do now are the driver covers. I will post a video in the upcoming days. It will be hard to pick up with a cell phone how they actually sound but trust me, they sound truly high end.

SquarePic_20230131_23210294.jpg
SquarePic_20230131_23212127.jpg
SquarePic_20230131_23212479.jpg
SquarePic_20230131_23213379.jpg
SquarePic_20230131_23215033.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Very nice indeed! I think these have a similar design approach to the Scanspeak Mun-17s I completed from Troels' design a couple of years ago, although the MUN-17 uses a Hyper plate amp for the woofer. Mine have similar drivers to yours, along with the bevelled truncated pyramid shape, and I expect yours to sound excellent, just as mine do!

Alex

Reactions: 1 user
Last touch! Magnetic driver covers (not sure what they are called in English). I think they look good. I will not use them during listening session, but good to have when you have both pets and kids. 😁 Project completed, on forward to the next one.
1000003178.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Nice to hear!

I live in northen Sweden, in Örnsköldsvik. If you for some reason are living close by or are passing trough you are welcome to come by and listen to them.

I don't use a sub. The bass is really good as it is. Really tight and punchy and it goes quite deep. Sure a sub would take it deeper but I don't feel any need to use a sub for the time being.

Good luck with your build and please show us some pics when you are done!

"Last touch! Magnetic driver covers (not sure what they are called in English). I think they look good. I will not use them during listening session, but good to have when you have both pets and kids. 😁 Project completed, on forward to the next one."

Hello, Please tell me where did you get the magnetic driver covers from?
I own an Ekta Grande project and I need the covers from the speakers.

Thank you.
Bogdan Tecuschi

Reactions: 1 user
I made these myself out of MDF with a router and then glued speaker cover fabric and magnets on them. In know you can buy magnetic covers for some drivers directly from Jenzen Audio but they are only for Satori drivers. I used them as inspiration for mine. https://www.jantzen-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/SBA-Satori-magnetic-dust-covers.pdf

As far as I know there are no covers for Scanspeak driver but I might be wrong.

I have now lived with these speakers for quite some time so I thought I might give a little review for those who are interested of building a pair of these or just want to know how one set of Troels speakers perform.

I am currently paring them with a RaspberryPi3 with Volumio acting as my streamer connected to a Vincent DAC-1mk, then to an Accuphase C-2150 preamp and an Audiophonics HPA-S400ET power amp which is a Purufi based Class D power amp. I have also tried these speakers with a Moonriver 404 Reference integrated amplifier and an Aavik I-180 integrated amplifier. I also had a Vincent SA-T8 tube preamp and Classé power amp earlier. I also occasionally use a Rega P6 turntable paired with a EAR 834p DIY clone tube phono stage.

So, how do they sound? These speakers sound really good. They are very transparent and it is easy to pinpoint different instruments in the soundstage. They can give a big airy 3D soundstage where the speakers completely disappear. Bass is really good. It is very snappy with great punch and also good texture. Highs are detailed and sparkly. The mids are very good but more to the analytical side than to the warm side. If you like warm sounding speakers you need to pair them with warm sounding gear or use EQ and give the mids a little bump. Tonally they are very good, but not perfect. Some instruments and voices sound very realistic while some sound a tiny bit off. The speakers sound good with all kinds of music.

One thing to consider though with these speakers are that they are very sensitive with positioning and setup. If you don´t dial them in correctly mids can sound thin and/or muddy. They are also very picky in relation to your height to the tweeters. These speakers are great in a dedicated room with a fixed listening position where you can set everything up correctly, but are not as good for casual listening in different parts of the room. They are still great speakers, but they really shine in the sweet spot. My old Kef Q7s were better sounding off axis then these are, but in the sweet spot these speakers are way better on every account. This could be a deal breaker for some I guess, so it´s good to be aware of.

I also have a Stereophile test CD with pink noise that can be used the see how speakers perform without being able to measure them. The noise is supposed to sound airy with no central focus. If some of the noise is in the center it typically indicate speaker resonance, but can also be the room. I can hear a tiny bit of center focus in the highs so might be a little speaker resonance there. But since I do not have a properly treated room it is hard to say. If it is the speakers I do not know if it´s in the design by Troels or a construction flaw made by me, but I´m putting the info out there for you to know. This might be why they are not perfect tonally.

All in all, I can recommend this build if you can set them up properly and have a fixed optimal listening position. They certainly play way above their price tag in parts.

PXL_20240331_214913019~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users