DIY Troels Gravesen Revelator 851 build

Hi!

I felt that i might share my Troels Gravesen Revelator 851 speaker build and share my experience with the finished speaker when they are done so here we go.
Link to Troels project page: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Revelator-851.htm

Troels is a quite reputable DIY speaker builder from Denmark. Lots of useful information on his website and I can highly recommend it.

This is not a cheap build. It consist of a bass driver and midrange driver from Scanspeaks Reveleator series and tweeter from Scanspeaks Illuminator series. Crossover components are from Jantzen audio. It is made of 21mm birch plywood and Valchromat MDF for the front baffle (Valchromat has a very high density). Total cost is somewhere around 4000 US$.

Unfortunately my phone broke and a lot o pictures from the early stages of the build was lost expect a few that I had uploaded to my Instagram.

My original idea was to stain them black so that you can see the structure of the birch, but in my tests stains it turned out quite bad and ugly so I decided to paint them black with a high gloss finish. Birch is very nice in as it looks but do not fit in my home.

Reactions: 1 user
The plywood is glued with regular wood glue. The sides of the cabinet are bent by cutting almost all the way trough the plywood and then bending it gently. Some of the joints are rebated (is that the right word?) for a stronger joint. All holes are made with a router. The front is thicker tha the sides and back, 30mm.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Reactions: 1 users
One thing I did not like with the original design of this speaker was that you could see the layers of the plywood on the back of the speaker. Therefore I routed the edge 5mm and glued on some solid birch, and then using a hand planer to make an angled edge. Turned out really nice I think.

Also made the holes for the ports and speaker connectors.

5.png
6.png
7.png

Reactions: 4 users
Finishing the oak foots. Made a little 2mm distance between the foot and the speaker. I think it looks better when mounted. Painted the bottom prior to the rest since I need to mount the foot and the crossover that will be hidden underneath it before I paint the rest of the speakers. The oak foot have adjustable feet. No fancy ones though, at least not for now.

16.png
17.png

Reactions: 1 users
Hare are pictures of the crossovers I made (after Troels design). One for the bass driver, placed behind the bass driver, and one for M/T mounted underneath the cabinet in the oak foot. I have blurred the values of the components in respect to Troels since he do not want them to be shared publicly since a company stole some of his designs and sold them commercially (and also I think he gets some compensation when you order the kit directly from Jantzen Audio).

21.png
22.png

Reactions: 4 users
Speakers are almost done. After a lot of wood-filling and sanding I started to paint them, but I felt I couldn't really get it right. I guess I'm better at wood working than painting, so I decided to bring them to a car painter instead. Feels better to let a professional do the finish. Putting all this work and money into something that would end up looking amateurish didn't feel right. Better to pay a little extra and get the look I am after. So there is where they are right now. Hopefully I will get them next week. :)

23.png
24.png
25.png
26.png

Reactions: 2 users
Hare are pictures of the crossovers I made (after Troels design). One for the bass driver, placed behind the bass driver, and one for M/T mounted underneath the cabinet in the oak foot. I have blurred the values of the components in respect to Troels since he do not want them to be shared publicly since a company stole some of his designs and sold them commercially (and also I think he gets some compensation when you order the kit directly from Jantzen Audio).

View attachment 1132544 View attachment 1132545
Hi AweLoi. I also started building this project. Only the body will be built from MDF. Could you tell me where to find the component values? I can't immediately buy a set and want to buy each one individually. Are you going to use fabric tweeter or berylium? I am very interested in the result of your work. I hope after the completion of the project you will record a video with the sound of the speakers.

I can definitely make a video when they are done. The company that are painting them for me certainly have taken good time to do so, but I hope I will have them this week. Then I need to sand and polish them for a mirror like look. before they are completed :)

The crossover values only comes when buying the kit from Jantzen Audio. Troels used to share them on his site but then some company ripped of some of his designs and sold them commercially so he stopped doing that. Also I think he gets some compensation from Jantzen Audio when people buy the kit (which I think is totally fine). He explicitly ask that we don't publish the values online or share them, and I feel very hesitant to do so. Troels is a very helpful and nice guy and have patiently and promptly answered every question I have had during the build so it doesn't feel right to not honor my side of the agreement. I hope you understand.