DIY - Super High End Kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have though of Orions a looong time, but I dont like the design at all.
And that is also a very critical thing for me!
Orion can be straightened out and camouflaged to taste....

Attachments

• Naples-2c.jpg
    Naples-2c.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,328
  • Orion V2 iso.JPG
    Orion V2 iso.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 6,069
Last edited:

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
With that sort of budget you could pay someone to design a speaker to your specifications - have you considered talking to Scottmoose, Planet 10 or Zaph to see if they'd be interested in designing you a speaker system for a fee and then building it yourself?

An Abbey kit with 3 or 4 discrete subs could run you up to $10k and give you a world-class system.

Also, consider this:
"But the best part of buying a Geddes sub is the setup analysis that is provided. With every sub comes a run of a complex room/sub fitting algorithm. Bass is completely room dependent and just buying a sub (or several) will not ensure a satisfactory response in any given room. Now you can have the subs custom fit to your room!"

I doubt any other manufacturer does that, but I could be wrong.

With that sort of budget you could pay someone to design a speaker to your specifications - have you considered talking to Scottmoose, Planet 10 or Zaph to see if they'd be interested in designing you a speaker system for a fee and then building it yourself?

He could just call up Bruce Edgar and say "Hey Bruce! I have 10 grand burning a hole in my pocket! Whatcha got?" :D

Well, I was thinking of the 11" Accuton and maybe the diamond-tweeter,
so its gonna cost. :) And yes, I`ve heard the MID Accuton is among the best!
But who can help me achive a Coltrane 2 clone!?

A pair of diamond tweeter costs 6000$
The other drivers 4x11" + 2x7" = 6800$
Total = 12800$

I find this crazy but what can we do without a little madness ? ;)
A very expensive project, less expensive than the original speaker 119000$

See with Troels...

He said;

Sorry to be unable to help here. Please read here why: crossovers

The two 11” bass drivers are high-ohmic, thus OEM drivers and the diamond tweeter most likely OEM too.

Developing cabinets and crossovers may take months, so it may be cheaper to buy a pair....

Without the correct drivers we can’t clone the Mårten design.

"I’ll probably make an Accuton speaker later this year from C30-6-24, C173-6-191E + Audio Technology sandwich bass (10C77).
Both mid and bass in transmissionlines.

best regards
Troels"

It's a pity. Troëls could be right because drivers could be OEM.
It's sure you can built a similar design ten times cheaper.
In fact if you have the drivers, the box, you need to design a crossover. To design a crossover, just do measurements and simulate a crossover etc.
I thought if he have your loudspeakers in his workshop, he could develop a crossover.
If he can't you would buy a measurement system and do it yourself.

I'm surprised that anyone who is willing to spend this much money on loudspeakers is also willing to put up with passive crossovers. Just my opinion.

It is possible that I will use an active x-over, but I still need very much guidence her!

In the mail from Troels Gravesen, he said:
"I’ll probably make an Accuton speaker later this year from C30-6-24, C173-6-191E + Audio Technology sandwich bass (10C77).
Both mid and bass in transmissionlines."

Hope its gonna be a really nice one..

Hi VACS

I don't think you should be that focused on Accuton or any particular driver manufacturer at this early stage of making your dream speakers.
Sure, the Coltranes looks marvellous... to a DIY spirit I must admit that copying a construction 1:1 does not taste very good.

If you allow me, my recommendation would be:

1. Define what sound you like / what music you play and at what sound level
2. Go active, preferably DSP and DRC
3. Use multiple subs - easier to get better bass and enables smaller main speakers.
4. Define how you listen... ego or wide listening window
5. Focus on power response
6. Define your ultimate design
7. Then maybe, pick drivers.

If you asked me (which you wouldn't ) I would spend the money in electronics, speaker cabs / design, drivers - in that order.

Reading the many threads on this forum you will notice that many of the high-end "cheap" designs has put a lot of effort in optimizing the power response (so also the Orion, Geddes and Super-V). That factor should not be underestimated, and to be honest - I bet they sonically competes with any criminally priced speakers.
Reading that you have concidered using 2x11" Accutons indicates that OB/UB woofer solution is not quite you... or at least if high volumes, chest pounding bass is what you are looking for

Cheers

Hi VACS

I don't think you should be that focused on Accuton or any particular driver manufacturer at this early stage of making your dream speakers.
Sure, the Coltranes looks marvellous... to a DIY spirit I must admit that copying a construction 1:1 does not taste very good.

If you allow me, my recommendation would be:

1. Define what sound you like / what music you play and at what sound level
2. Go active, preferably DSP and DRC
3. Use multiple subs - easier to get better bass and enables smaller main speakers.
4. Define how you listen... ego or wide listening window
5. Focus on power response
6. Define your ultimate design
7. Then maybe, pick drivers.

If you asked me (which you wouldn't ) I would spend the money in electronics, speaker cabs / design, drivers - in that order.

Reading the many threads on this forum you will notice that many of the high-end "cheap" designs has put a lot of effort in optimizing the power response (so also the Orion, Geddes and Super-V). That factor should not be underestimated, and to be honest - I bet they sonically competes with any criminally priced speakers.
Reading that you have concidered using 2x11" Accutons indicates that OB/UB woofer solution is not quite you... or at least if high volumes, chest pounding bass is what you are looking for

Cheers

Thank you for a nice reply!! :)

1: I listen to alot of rock (Dimmu Borgir, Draconian, Dark Fortress, Fen, Epica, Abysmal Dawn, Vesania, but I need a very good alrounder because I play all kinds of music
(Katie Melua / Prodigy / Kari Bremnes). Because of much rock I dont want to much warmth and romantic sound (slow). I like much air from the tweeter.
Dont want the tweeter to be "hidden" at all. I want the woofers to be hard, pretty dry, fast, very punchy and not to much partybass. I dont play at very high volumes,
but of course some volume is exciting! :)

2: What is "DSP and DRC"? I dont know anything about active x-overs!

3: If I just should use subs, than I could just use my excellent Dynabel Euforia that i built myself, and buy som subs to them.. I want to have speakers without subs.
Im in for speakers split in 2, like sub-box under the box with the tweeter and mid like this for example:
jensen-bob-c-3.jpg

Then I could just design it like a Coltrane 2 and just split it i middle, see?

4: In most of the time I most likely will listen for myself, but I need a speaker that could fill my upcoming listening-room
(8 meters X 6 meters x 3.5 meters tall)! BUT friends and family will often come and listen to.

5: What do that meen; "Focus on power response"?

6: This is my dream design!!! :
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

See the split in the middle I made, to seperate the bass-box and the tweeter/mid-box.
Better sound with the split/seperation?

7: Accuton drivers! ;) Heard that the mid is among the very best, so the 11" I think will do allright?,
pluss they are the same design. The tweeter I can cope with another type (maybe Scan-Speak or something like that)? What do you think?

I have Audioquest Colorado RCA + Audioquest Gibraltar loudspeaker-cables for now.
If I use active x-over, then I need to buy 2 amps??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.