DIY Speaker Binding Post

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, don't forget the DIYers here on DIY Audio.
Obviously not enough for a production decision, but certainly we will be needing a few hundred.
Frankly, I was surprised how far along the posts are.
Grataku-why not actually mention your concerns....

This could be a new amazing phase for DIY Audio. First We got group buys together, then innovative products such as the DIp Chip brothers remote volume control, now we are PRODUCING components for ourselves. Soon we'll be ordering custom production runs of audio caps to our specs, etc.

This forum is so far ahead of any others for DIY. People doing more than talking- they are DOING

For starters the thread are too coarse, the cardas really stay when you bolt the spades in, these guys I am not so sure.
Then as Peter says there is no way to prevent them from rotating both when fastening them to the panel AND when trying to tye the spades to them.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is important to distinguish between the thickness of the threads vs. the pitch, . In this case I believe that the threads are massive, which is what is required for soft material such as copper but the pitch(how far the nut advances per turn) might be small.These two characteristics can be independent. IMHO this is the correct approach. The only risk is that they won't have enough inherent friction to stay tight. (vs. too fine a thread having so much friction that they jam) I guess you need to try the prototype.

Variac said:
It is important to distinguish between the thickness of the threads vs. the pitch, . In this case I believe that the threads are massive, which is what is required for soft material such as copper but the pitch(how far the nut advances per turn) might be small.These two characteristics can be independent. IMHO this is the correct approach. The only risk is that they won't have enough inherent friction to stay tight. (vs. too fine a thread having so much friction that they jam) I guess you need to try the prototype.

I was referring to the pitch of the thrad which is not really independent from what you call thickness. A narrow pitch thread will always be shallower than a coarse pitch thread for simple reasons of the way cutting tools are.

Anyway, it shouldn't be too bad to add a couple of flats on both the knob and the shaft so one can use two wrenches when bolting to the panel and bolting on the spade.

hey guys from what i know ashok is in india. export formalities would mean he would have to send a lot to the US to one location and deal with one person (who could be nominated).

Ashok might be too shy to mention this but i live in India and this bureaucracy is why India has not had larger exports.

on another topic i think we have enough volume to convince any driver manufacters or valve company or kit seller to build a kit to our exacting specs. What we'd need is one co-ordinating agency who then distributes to US, Europe, Asia, India etc...

Bricolo said:
...could you post a diagram for your posts? with the dimentions and everything

Why not !! If require the AutoCad drg they email me.

Attachments

• binding.gif
    binding.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 404
Mike
My aim is to make available these posts on a non-profit basis to DIY’er on this forum. Any commercial intent beyond that will brings different issues. As DIY’er we can compromise a bit on certain things, which an average buyer may not be prepared for. I’d really feel great if DIY community can suggest changes on the basic design.

Grataku:
I think Variac got it right. The dia of the thread is large and the pitch is 26tpi. Soft copper threads may disintegrate otherwise. They appear coarse because they were machined. In the copper proto I’ve use threading die. The best option will be to tool up an get the threads machined on a CNC. But then we are moving onto proper production systems. For a handful of Posts such tooling and fixturing may not be cost effective. I have not yet don a costing, but if the numbers justify then we may go in for a CNC tool up. The nut has hex base.

Peter Daniel
There are several DIY ways I can think of to ensure that the posts remain tight. The Music Post method is ok if we go for a commercial venture. Do let me know if you want this way.

Variac
Great thought. In addition to Speaker Posts we can certainly build RCA jacks and other devises.

Navin
You are right. However, I think Peter Daniel may take the plunge :). And your idea on leveraging the diyudio forum to order custom group buys is fantastic. At least guys in India will be delirious. Lets work on this

years ago anohter forum tried this. the group buy was only available to US based customers though.

what we indians might need then is a US based person who is willing to buy for us and then export to us. to make things simple it might make sense to use one indian port. Cal or Mum are logical choices although i have not problem with bang or chen either.

also what do we want to import. i am flexible. i can make do what the speakers i have now, i can build more and find uses for them.

what is the budget. again here i am quite flexible.

If it was up to me I'd consider a driver set that was cheap and could be used for HT as well as audio (this way everyone could get involved). that could be used as rear (small wall mounted) or front (wall mounted or floor based TL). Tang bands come first to mind as they dont require XOs if we get W3 871s. Or we get W4-657 and w3-871 and go for 1.5 way.

another choice is the earlier mentioned 6" 2way. Any thoughts. you can take this offline if you want.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
navin said:
let list the Indians first. Can one of the moderators help on this. they have us categorized as per country. I reside in 2 but am in India 7-8 months in a year.

It's a bit difficult to sort the database of members by country, your best bet might be to set up a Wikki for everyone showing interest to register on, with maybe their name and locality, (don't put up full addresses for the obvious reasons).

But if you think of any other way I can help I wil be more than pleased to do so;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
navin said:
thanks pink mouse. my cousin's GF is dutch so he is holland every few months. if you ever need anything from here let me know.

Cheers mate, not at present, but you never know;)

what is wikki? how do i set it up? how dowe redirect interested parties to register on it.

Oops, my dodgy spelling! The Wiki intro tells you about the system, and have a look in the Wiki "Everything Else" category for examples of previous group orders.

To direct interested parties, you can just use an ordinary url reference in a post to link to your wiki page.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.