DIY Silver interconnects and RCAs???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree with your comments, awkwardbydesign. I'm thinking more of a big picture view of high-end gear for audio purists...eliminate expensive and esoteric connectors and thereby avoid connector issues completely. Given the exorbitant prices for cables marketed to "purists", it just seems to make sense to do away with connectors.
I was a child broadcast engineer, and just about everything we did was soldered directly. No connector issues. This is impractical with most audio gear, though...

Binding posts and bare wire ends work a charm for speakers, banana plugs are for convenience only, they add 8 connections per channel - cable to plug - plug to post x 4. Some folks on here hard wire their speakers to their amps but you can take anything too far imo. RCA's are a convenient solution but being diy folks we can choose our poison. Pro audio connectors are better and you can still unplug your gear if you need to.

Binding posts and bare wire ends work a charm for speakers, banana plugs are for convenience only, they add 8 connections per channel - cable to plug - plug to post x 4. Some folks on here hard wire their speakers to their amps but you can take anything too far imo. RCA's are a convenient solution but being diy folks we can choose our poison. Pro audio connectors are better and you can still unplug your gear if you need to.

Has anyone here ignored the warnings and soldered to their phono-cart?

I agree with your comments, awkwardbydesign. I'm thinking more of a big picture view of high-end gear for audio purists...eliminate expensive and esoteric connectors and thereby avoid connector issues completely. Given the exorbitant prices for cables marketed to "purists", it just seems to make sense to do away with connectors.
I was a child broadcast engineer, and just about everything we did was soldered directly. No connector issues. This is impractical with most audio gear, though...

LOL plenty of stuff that makes audio look tame (it is) that have connectors and work perfectly, get over it....

Look at you system mate, looks like mains connections are open to the air and not in grounded cases....
Another audiophile who refuses to learn:)
Works both ways.

Yes, I'm another audiophile who doesn't slave to standards, books, schools, internet tutorials, who doesn't follow standard rules like the crowd of sheep and is always prone to experiment and discover something new.

I judge my system by the sound and not by the looks and I am proud of it, Mister, no matter what you'll say.

Its not safe and open to any airborne interference... To be perfectly honest if you have bare mains connections then its plain dangerous and stupid and there is NO justification for an unsafe set up where high voltages are involved....
As to the rest information is there to learn from, your reply says it all....

In Bulgaria, ground means Ground, hence all houses and buildings are grounded properly.At least what was build before 10 years ago. So if his plug is 3 wire its more than enough that his amp is grounded.

At the end you shield sth if there is a problem. My cnc machine is shielded, my audio is not shielded, and there is not a problem. And i have a HF plasma cutter in the workshop.

I bet with all the techno talk here, most of the people have not properly shielded their equipment even if they think they have. As per really industrial standard i mean. Its not just connecting ground here and there. Read in internet how to shield HF start plasma CNC machine, that's what i call real shielding.

Plus one could brag about enclosures, interference and grounding, but i have been many places in Europe and not a single house i lived in was properly grounded. Hell, where i live now in Spain i had to additionally stick 2 x grounding posts around the house...

So when house grounding is not properly made, EMI shielding is just in your head

Firstly I was commenting on exposed high voltage connections...
Secondly electronics in planes are shielded and there is no ground so your comments regarding shielding are rubbish...
Double insulated electronics are shielded, no ground...
Mobile phone internals are shielded, no ground connection....
Vehicle communication systems are shielded, no connection to the ground...
Sorry but the PE (protective earthj connection) or ground has nothing to do with shielding... its a safety connection and is NOT needed for effective EMC shielding...

Speedskater said:
But it's the homebrew bulk cable ones that are questionable.
That is what I was referring to; sorry if that was not clear. People who wind silver wire around a piece of string, cover it with heatshrink and then solder on expensive boutique connectors; not people who solder a normal connector on the end of a normal decent piece of cable. Given that the latter is not worth making a fuss about, almost all 'DIY' audio cables found on the net are of the former type.

50AE said:
Another topic where some "educated, graduated" people seem to "know everything", but cannot see further than their noses.
Not sure if this is jealousy or inverted snobbery. Why not attack the issue instead of the person?

Fuses (like feedback, triode/pentode decisions etc.) are not optional and so cannot be simply switched in or out. If it needs a fuse, design it in; if not, omit it.

Boyan Silyavski said:
Plus one could brag about enclosures, interference and grounding, but i have been many places in Europe and not a single house i lived in was properly grounded. Hell, where i live now in Spain i had to additionally stick 2 x grounding posts around the house...
Introducing new 'grounds' can be very dangerous. I hope you carefully read about the electrical codes for Spain.

I wonder whether you have fallen into the common newbie error of thinking of 'ground' as some sort of magic dumping place for all unwanted signals?

Introducing new 'grounds' can be very dangerous. I hope you carefully read about the electrical codes for Spain.

I wonder whether you have fallen into the common newbie error of thinking of 'ground' as some sort of magic dumping place for all unwanted signals?
One of the biggest dangers to adding external ground/Earth rods is from Lightning strikes.
In general we are dissuaded from mucking about with Earth rods simply due to the Lightning dangers.

Firstly I was commenting on exposed high voltage connections...
Secondly electronics in planes are shielded and there is no ground so your comments regarding shielding are rubbish...
Double insulated electronics are shielded, no ground...
Mobile phone internals are shielded, no ground connection....
Vehicle communication systems are shielded, no connection to the ground...
Sorry but the PE (protective earthj connection) or ground has nothing to do with shielding... its a safety connection and is NOT needed for effective EMC shielding...

Exactly, we are talking about high voltages and not EMC shielding

One of the biggest dangers to adding external ground/Earth rods is from Lightning strikes.
In general we are dissuaded from mucking about with Earth rods simply due to the Lightning dangers.
Easy guys,
:magnify: I am not making enormous capacitors, if that's what you are implying

Before i hit the rods in the ground i informed myself how to properly ground HF generating machines, reading Siemens papers on subject, plasma manufacturer's recommendations, and in total - a lot of papers on subject.

Either we have a comedian or a darwin award candidate here.

At least to me it seems there are many unrespectful super experts here.

What we don't have here obviously is a vigilant forum moderator who should have stopped at the beginning, warned and deleted all comments unrelated to the initial question about DIY silver plating RCA

I gues what is left now is move the conversation to "general" , " fun" or " evolution" part of the forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.