DIY progress report

Hello everybody

Amazing thread, especially with the "wine deviation":cool:
Seems that Music and DIY lovers do like a good wine. It's true also for me, I like the ones from Sardinia for example... :drink:

But to get back to the topic: I spent hours on reading, but it seems to me that Wayne's remote controlled pre has got lost? Or did I missed something? In this case, sorry for my question :angel:

Greetings, Tino

Preamp with phono stage for Aleph 3 and X?

Moderator,
I don't know if I am posting on the right thread, so feel free to move this to the proper place.

Mark G., of Salt Lake City, is mentoring me in the construction of an Aleph 3, and possibly an X. I will need a preamp for these, and have some questions. I read the Stereophile review of the Aleph 3, and they made a point about the gain needed in the preamp, that a passive would not be a very good idea. If I used just a DACT type attenuator, wouldn't that be a passive? Also, don't I need to build a preamp to deal with the balanced nature of the X?
Finally, I know you purists would have me build a separate phono stage, but I would rather not. I would like to have a tubed stage on the phono, but if many vinyl fans really feel that there are solild state designs that come close enough, I would defer to your suggestions and judgement.
Just bought a digital camera, so Mark and I can record the progress of the Aleph 3. You should have seen the way he jury-rigged his open X, it was ALL over the living room floor! I bet he won't let me take a photo of that! The sound was great, though.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City

Nelson, take your time to finish the projects. Otherwise, we would be made responsible, if someone starts a class action :smash: against Nelson Pass, stating that he is responsible for California energy supply problems since he is spending time giving advise to DIYers instead of improving power consumption of his commercial amps :D :D :D :D :D :D

Lyndon,
The Aleph amplifiers--if built stock--have slightly less gain than an average amplifier. Most amps have something on the order of 26 dB gain, plus or minus a few. The Alephs, if I'm remembering correctly, have 20 dB gain. Okay, so the Alephs are slightly scant in the gain department...what to do? Maybe nothing. It's going to depend on how much output your source has, and how efficient your speakers are. Try it. If you can't get things to work to your satisfaction, then you might want to build a line stage.
When you say "X" do you mean an Aleph-X or a normal X amplifier? The Aleph-X will accept an unbalanced input. (Where did the idea get started that a balanced input was necessary? Would I do that to you guys?) Some normal X designs will accept an unbalanced input, and some require a balanced input. See Petter's X-100 thread for a normal X amp.
I'm also not clear on what you mean by a separate phono stage. Separate from what? If you want it separate, build it separate. If you want it built into something else, build it in. That's the cool thing about DIY. You can put stuff together in any manner that suits you.
Tube phono? I'm all for it. But then, I'm fond of hollow state gear anyway.
And the all-over-the-floor stage is fun. There's nothing like hooking up a new piece of gear and having music come out. You kinda expect that a finished box will produce sound, but the spread out stuff is more amazing. How can all that gorgeous music be coming out of something that looks like an explosion in a parts factory? Trace the signal path with your eye. Marvel at the neat (or not so neat) rows of power supply caps. See how many different colored parts you can see.
Just don't forget to listen to the music.

Grey