DIY progress report

Ditto

His quotes are the "Poor Richard's Almanac"of high end audio crowd. And I went and wasted half the last dinner with him discussing audio design........ he is a riot on the phone as well. I hope to get to socialize with him once again in a few weeks.

BTW Jam has a keen instinct for audio design. I have underestimated him on several specific suggestions and told him it was not ever done that way, only to realize what a good idea it was after the idea sunk in after a few days and the novelty of it was replaced by it's virtues. Someone once asked how to become an art critic and was told, "It's easy, just look at a million paintings." Maybe not a million, but Jam has looked countless schematics and fixed enough stuff that broke due to poor design to be well worth listening to.

DIY Progress Report - FAQ ?

Has anyone compiled the activities of this forum into a FAQ?

I've been reading for a day, and I still haven't figured things out. There's so many acronyms (Aleph 2 or Aleph X or Zen 4), but there isn't a central place to see what they actaully are. I'm familiar with the Zen amps, but I couldn't tell you what any of the Alephs are, or how many versions there are. Push-pull or single-ended? I couldn't tell you, even though I've done lots of reading....

This Pass Labs forum is akin to a family. If you're not part of it, you're on the outside.

I'd like to build a solid-state SE amp to compete with my tubed amp. I've got some time in March, so I decided to build the Zen. I would be fun, and I'd learn a lot. However, after I've spent some time in this forum, it's all confusion to me.

A big help would be a FAQ on Pass's website - a glossary of the different variants that Pass Labs Forum have developed in conjunction with Pass Labs. I'm sure some of you guys are rabid enough to write one up for N.P.

How 'bout it? It would help bring me "into the fold", and probably other guys who are turned off by the confusion.

Not really the answer.

There are still 100’s of pages to read to figure it out.

Where's the one-liner that says "an Aleph 2 does this" and "an Aleph X amp does that"?

If you're already a member to the "Pass Club", you've already gone though this. If you're an outsider, there are two options: sink or swim.

To some, they'd rather "swim" into something easier to figure out.

So here's the value equation (speaking from a business sense): are you trying to evangelize and make some converts, or not? Nelson Pass has done a great job with the audioXpress Zen articles. That's how I got here. Pass has exercised great charisma and is quite an evangelist. He got me interested in Zen amps, and ready to buy stuff from his web site. (Note to Pass: Thank you, I list you as one of the modern-day masters of audio, which I also expect many others do as well.)

Now that I'm here, do I really know what I want? I get directed to 100s of forum messages or 100s of pages of Aleph documentation. All I'd like to do is understand the basic differences of the amps, so I know when a forum member is upset at his Aleph 3, I can feel his pain.

There's some more success potential for Pass Labs, and that's an "executive summary" of the who's who of Nelson Pass: The one-pager that a noob can read in a few minutes, and figure out what the zealots are talking about in the forums.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Kashmire,

There are currently some efforts going to consolidate some of the information contained in nearly 300k posts, but you have to understand that everything on this forum happens from the generosity of the members donating their time for the benefit of all.

What you're asking is to condense decades of Mr. Pass' work into a few pages which is probably close to impossible. I understand that the forum may seem intimidating for a new comer. I was imtimidated when I first joined. It really is a friendly place and people are willing to help. All you need to do is join in. I would encourage you to keep reading if you're interested in the Pass designs.

You've gone through the Zen variations already, The Alephs are all very similar to each other. You'll see that if you read a couple of the manuals at the link I provided. If you're still interested at that point, then you can start on the "AlephX" thread. You won't have to read the whole thing but you do need to start at the beginning.

If that's not your cup of tea, there's always the "Chip Amp" forum.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don't think that Nelson Pass looks at DIY audio as a business.
His business is selling very expensive amps that are already made. (and maybe a speaker or two....) Selling a couple of circuit boards and parts is more of a service than a business. The historical documewnts on Pass labs site does infact give you a pretty good idea what's what.

We consider ourselves very lucky that he doesn't mind us making
his amps ourselves, and in fact encourages us!!

It would be cool if someone online here could do it in the Wiki,
but no one seems to want t o spend the time. We're all making stuff or working to pay for stuff or attacking each other or fixing the living room to gain points so we can make more stuff ;) :confused:

I know this: most audio guys don't get rich doing audio, it's a labor of love. I understand that the DIY service of Pass isn't a money-maker. I commend Pass for what he is doing, the same that I commend Linkwitz for making his knowledge public domain. It takes a certain kind of person to do that, and I want to be sure to recognize it.

However, once the DIY community picks up on the knowledge, it takes a life of its own. The community as a whole develops and evolves the knowledge. One person can't do it, we rely on looking at each other's forum posts and web sites.

I wouldn't expect Pass to support the DIY community this way; he does enough as it is. This should be up to the forum.

To that end, I volunteer myself to catalog what I learn. That way, the FAQ that I develop will be truly from a newcomer's point of view. The FAQ can then develop its own life as forum members correct and add to the knowledge base.

I don't know how this would work, but over the next few weeks, I'll write something and post it. If the mods like it, then it can stay. If they don't, at least I'll have my own road-map to solid-state amp design.

One of the hardest parts is getting started. I'll do that part....

(Note: Thanks, Raka for your offer. I don't think it would require every night all summer, but just a few moments to jot down what's already stored in your mind.)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Kashmire said:
To that end, I volunteer myself to catalog what I learn. That way, the FAQ that I develop will be truly from a newcomer's point of view. The FAQ can then develop its own life as forum members correct and add to the knowledge base.

I don't know how this would work, but over the next few weeks, I'll write something and post it. If the mods like it, then it can stay. If they don't, at least I'll have my own road-map to solid-state amp design.

One of the hardest parts is getting started. I'll do that part....
We would appreciate and be more then happy to look at what you come up with. We need a good FAQ.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As I mentioned , the Wiki is the right place to do the FAQ I think- then others can update and improve it. But maybe it's a good idea to run your list by the regulars first and get it as good pretty good first. Maybre you can get the Wiki going- it has never really taken off as we had hoped.

I know you are right- if you get it started others will help. You are a good student of human nature!!

First is a list of all the Pass amps - commercial and DIY,that have beed diy'd including phono, and pre

Then what? Grouped in common catagories:
Zen amps, Alephs, X amps etc. Of course some of the classic models are now X'ed Should they be in one X camp or as a varient of the original. I think an Aleph X should probably be in the Aleph catagory? About every Pass older amp has been X'ed, so I think it is just an evolution of a given model. speaking of evolution, the Zen amps vary quite a bit from each other, but the point is that there is kinda a progression, so they should be in one catagory.

Later= power output, what preamps and amps are made for each other? difficulty? Power consumpsion per watt? (no joke around here!) available circuit boards and their sources, what else?