DIY Planar magnetic Hybride

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, a pair of 8" ribbon with very powerfull neo magnets will cost about 1/10 of the cost of a pair of Fountec NeoPro5i - and it will be a true dipole ribbon

Ribbon will be a plain simple alu foil and nothing else

I reckon they will be efficient enough to be driven directly with only a small graphite resistor between amp and ribbon, and no choke needed

edit, and some filter components ofcourse :cannotbe:

pooow after not posting for almost a year, i played with them but i cant find the right amount of surfes width and height. also the right placment of the magnet is quite difficult.

by the way just putting alu foil on a wettend glass plate then carving you coil out of it an glueing the verry verry thin mylar to it works great. but now a good layout foor a small drivers 1 k and up to 20K.

anybofy has done this before or has ideas please reply :) willing to experiment again. got some spare time

Interesting thread..
Been playing around with this idea as well for a long time and simulating with Femm. I think I will stick with long neo magnets, not too wide ones to get a small gap and enough turns of the foil (keep impedance up). With short magnets there will be alot of glueing, been there and don't want to do it again..
First maybe try some smaller planars, size of Apogee Stage, and if it works out make another pair and stack them:D

Cost of magnets is an issue though, but China has alot to offer. Has anyone tried ordering magnets from there, direct from a factory?

WrineX: of course, Magnepan does make some quite good sounding speakers, have owned the MG1.5 and 0.6 so I know. But they are not that sensitive and low frequencies are not that good. Apogees are much better in that area from what I've compared. It might have to do with the much bigger magnets they use, and more advanced foil on Apogee bass rather than wire.
Maggies are probably much quicker to manufacture from how they look..

Hi Jonas, yes I've been there but I'm looking for even better deals
;)

yeah why they still use whires i dont know, if i onwed a factory it whould be printed. the wires have some mass of course :(.

have my magnets , and jesus , made one bad sale there haha, waaaaay waaay to weak.

well hope i can use it for something else, for now i just bought a pair of MG1 Improved , they sound much beter then the SMGa and the MG1 not improved and also beter then the SMGc i had.

but still looking for a nice magnet deal to make either mid high panels or fullrange with alu foil coil instead of wire.

WrineX ,

I am about to start modifying a pair of MGI's . I am going to strip the tweeter wire , and in place of it , I'm going to make my own quasi-ribbon tweeter out of some aluminum foil I have purchased .

The foil is .001 thick , and it's 6 inches wide , on a spool of 250 foot .
I will cut the foil to the desired width . My question to You is this , If You were to use this foil for the Mid and Bass sections of the driver , what would You make the Width of the Foil ?

At night while laying sleepless in bed , my mind wanders to this project just about every night , and I have had thoughts about a driver that is totally configured with this foil .

I am open to suggestions as to what thickness' to use and what widths to use .

( Sorry I don't want hijack this thread , If You want to continue this , please post on this thread here )

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=136001

Cheers , Stephen

well the importend thing is to know if you want to use the same crossover, if not you can make the foil small and have a impedance like 8ohm. the current impedance i s 5.5 ohm , at least thats what i mesured.

just measrure one the length of one lane for the foil in comparison of the wire so you can see what kind of impedance you will get, and also you can play with the width of the foil.

high width is lower impedance in Ohm if you get around 8 Ohm for the total , you can reconfigure your crossover. with winISD first order passive crossover

WrineX ,

On my MGII's , I have changed the X-Over to a Series X-Over , and changed out the components for different values and higher quality parts used .

I did not come up with this X-Over myself , I'm simply following what Others have done . . . The Difference that this X-over made on my MGII's is Simply Amazing ( plus the hardwood frames just make these Maggies sing , the hardwood frames vibrate like mad , but the mylar surface is not seen to move )

With this pair of MGI's, I want to try more than changing out the X-Over and putting the driver in a hardwood frame . . . I want to try to change out All the wires for the Aluminum Foil . . . a Quasi-Ribbon Driver of sorts . . . with separate sections , one being the bass / mid-range section , the other will be the tweeter section .

On current MMG's , Magnepan uses a aluminum foil for their " Quasi-Ribbon tweeter , but still uses wire for the bass / mid-range section . So I'm kinda flying blind here , not sure if the foil will work well for the bass / mid-range section .

I'm getting ready to start stripping the mylar membrane of it's wires soon ,
so I quess all I can do is try it and see .

Cheers , Stephen

Bass wire mass is necessary...

given the tension and physical dimensions of the bass panel section you must have the wire mass to be able to drop the resonant frequency of the panel. Think of it as a tuned resonant system where the diaphragm is the suspension for the voice coil. The tweeter section you can get away with changing out to thin foil but don't play with the bass wire.

moray james ,

Thank You moray james !!! I appreciate Your Help , so I guess it'll be My Style Quasi-Ribbon tweeter section . . . on an old model MGI .

I wondered about the Mass issue , but that's about as far as I went .

Would a Thicker Foil do ? or is the sheer weight of the wire the factor and not just the gauge of the wire ?

Again , Thank You moray james for Your Insight !

Cheers , Stephen

ps What would happen if I went with a thicker / heavier gauge wire for the bass / mid-range section ? Woulld there be a better ( deeper / lower ) bass response ? Thank You Again.

yeah its the same problem with esl's, the only way to use the foil for the bass section is to lower the tension and thus the resonance frequency, but i woul not recon to play with the tension because with lower tension it can get unstable and flap.

for the tweeter section it is possible to use foil but remember to get the same impedance or change the Xover. but same impedance is not possibe i think because the impedance is calculated of the amount of alumium and how pure it is ofcourse. so with a wider foil you will get the same mass and same impedance, the only way you bennefit is to use less mass and so a higher impedance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.