DIY Parthenon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will have plenty of free time this summer and am very interrested in making a DIY parthenon.

Could someone please email me the plans all of you have come up with as well as the materials list.

Has anyone figured out how much the total project would cost?

What use would the parthenon be most useful? With the extreme low end capabilities it is obviously slanted towards the home theater side. Would it still be passable for use with music or would a sidekick traditional subwoofer be needed to fill in the upper spectrum of the subwoofer frequency range?

Has anyone come to terms with how much power will be needed to drive the motor?

Is the parthenon an infitie baffle woofer or are any of you planning on building one that is enclosed?

From what I've read I don't think anyone has begun the building process yet. If I'm wrong what is your progress and where are the pictures?! Thanks in advance. Matt

Hello Mr. permanentjaun

My best advice is to read the thread and get a good grasp on the concepts. To get you off on the right foot the efficiency or decibels/watt would be in the 95db range. LOUD Twice as loud as normal conversation. That's at one watt.

THis is a complex design and there is no set of plans. THere is more than enough info through the thread and on the adireaudio website to make it if you are adventurous.

Mark

wow :eek:

adire still makes it but is not going to widley market it as a realworld application of it will be nearly impossible. it cannot be mounted to a baflfe it is a strictly dipole driver which makes it impossible to use in car and a pain to use in home...when they attach it to a basket, add a real cone, then surround and see how well it moves with thoes restrictions. so far the only vid ive seen of the parthenon is of just the motor itsself moving. i would thing 10lbs of sheet steel being bloted to it would make it tear itsself apart...think of the ammount of energy it will take to make it move 175mm one way, stop, then go back the other and do this 40-50 cycles per second.... let me tell you... a lot more than what the whimpy 200w amp they used in the vid. and we are talking dipole. to make it what people want, in an enclsoure.... even a n extremely low Qtc. sealed enclsoure will make the force needed even greater. its only option would be IB...

in conclusion....good luck to ya...good luck to adire....but as of now RE's 51mm one way is the limit of real world drivers..and it has yetto be released.

the plain fact of the matter is, it doesnt need a baffle really. With all that displacememnt it can go down extremely low even as a dipole. I doubt it would be too impossible to build an basket and surround for it, just very expensive. Dan wiggins has pleanty of tricks up his sleeve, he's a pretty sharp cat. I'll be going into the airforce here in a few weeks and after I graduate boot I'm thinking there's a $2500check headed my way....

Parthenon time!

Well thanks for serving the out country :)

it may work but even dipole with a "48" x48" panel of even aluminum, maybe 12ga reenforced with either beads or strips welded perpindicular....imagine i would wtill weigh a good 5-10lbs... its gonna take some power to move it... and i dont think 2,500 will buy the parthenon...maybe the downpayment and a good little hunk out of it. they used to advertise that most applications would cost at least 8,000 if i remember right but the basic motor was 6,000??....of course im 16 and have alshimers (sp)....

but i will doubt you will be able to get much above 40-50Hz...wich would make it a true subwoofer.

one thing is for sure the ultamite subwoofer would be a parthenon in a true bass horn....if it where attached to a basket. :smash:

I think the basic motor was closer to $2500-3500. I think Dan said the baffle on the CES model was made of a stiff composite material...somewhere in this thread it is discussed, I think. It's too bad that Adire cut the link to the motor description. It seems to me that most of the information necessary to duplicate the motor was available, between the website information and the clues Dan had tossed out on the forum. Most of the dimensions (if precise) were given, including the magnet size, etc. The problem I ran into when looking at the project was the difficulty in finding the steel Adire used. Dan touched on that at one point, and offered some alternative types. Really neat motor, though...

If there's information you want, just ask here or at our forum at SoundIllusions... We took it down from the website because we literally received dozens of "can this thing bump? Can I trade you 4 RFLs for one?" type e-mails a week.

Even listing "IT'S A CUSTOM PRODUCT, THE T/S PARAMETERS CAN BE ADJUSTED TO YOUR SPECIFICATIONS - THERE ARE NO STOCK T/S PARAMETERS" we received dozens of e-mails a week asking "what are the T/S params?".

So, since so many people had problem with basic reading and comprehension, we dropped the link. Serious OEMs know about it, and we deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio®

I know it has been quite some time, but what are the odds of getting this thread going anymore?

Were the goals a little too lofty? or were parameters not quite so well defined?

I would really like to build a high excursion subwoofer usable from 20 hz up. Hearing of this parthenon and finally reading this entire thread, has made me more anxious than ever, since from what I read, there is more than enough ideas to bring this project to completion.

The parthenon is a little overboard for me, but I think the posters of this thread could easily come up with a sub 200 DIY high excursion subwoofer.

What could be the best someone could do with 200 for parts and materials? 3 inches? 4? 6?

Basically the looks of the Parthenon and its huge excursion are what make it so attractive to me, and I assume others. Is it possible to get the look and some of the excursion for the price range?

If anything a reason why the interest faded or this thread died would be wonderful. Or perhaps a new thread can come into being.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.