DIY DAC....is this any good

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's been a long time, but here are a few pics of the 'almost finished' DAC/Pre amp:

DACPre001.jpg

Here is a pic of the various PCBs inside the enclosure. All PCBs are made by me, except the DIR9001 receiver board.

The pot is an Alps motorized 100K Log and is controlled via my PIC microprocessor board. This controls the 'Lightspeed Attenuator' circuit.

DACPre002.jpg

8 DACs in parallel and a 10mm thick piece of aluminium used as a heat sink and also part of the lid.

DACPre003.jpg

1 x Coax digital in
1 x Optical digital in
2 x Analogue in
and obviously 1 x output.

There is a switch which selects 'Auto' or 'On'. In 'Auto', it automatically powers up when 24 volts are present on the jack plug under it.

The dial on the left is a rotary encoder which can be used to select the input required and can be pressed to mute. When in mute mode, the power LED flashes. If you are on a digital input (1 or 2) and no valid signal is being received, it will flash that LED also.

There is quite a bit of stuff to cram into the small enclosure, but I wanted to make it the same footprint as my PSU and LM4780 chip amp enclosures.

Will post a pic of it finished soon :)

Last edited:
@Portreathbeach - had to chip in here. Made myself a baby huey ecl86 amp whilst partner was pregnant with first baby 2 years ago AND we were building an extension AND i used to live a mile from Portreath!

Partner was worried as I locked myself away building an amp, then the baby arrived and all audio obsessions stopped. Have just got back into my audio but have second baby on the way so I think this spurt of audio fascination will be shortlived again,

Loveley looking finished product by the way, am sure it sounds great too,

Stu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.