DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

Unfortunately code that doesn't work is useless.
Sadly it really doesn't matter how many great features it supposedly has.

Curious that mucop made such a fuss over identify-device
when pandora works just fine without.

the approaches seem quite different.Sorrry but I have forgotten
anything I might have figured out on the mucop.

the way pandora is written the "reading toc" loops are where it sits forever- usually means I have no disc or cdrom is not master!

I have managed to disable a dip sw and added a stop.
as a novice/non programmer this was a big effort for me.

Perhaps the gentleman that corrected the mucop code will offer some insights?

Dave

Do you understand the word hint?

You guys have made a number of assumptions about skill, demographic and expended effort which I will not respond to - it would only end up in texas anyways.

Remember the spirit in which Keith Wilson shared 1000s of lines of MUCop code.
Taking his code- tweaking and selling a product?
Treating it as proprietary?

Signal path DVDROM

This is a long thread so I perhaps drown in it.

Where can I find information about the signal path from the laser reading the cd to the signal comes out as spdif in the DVDROM?

Now when this thread have been for so long time perhaps some one can share their experience of the sound using DVDROM in a good audio set?

Is there some modifications to recommend in the DVDROM?

I use the Aopen X16 in mye audio set.

Progg70

Hi guys,

I just want to get something off my chest. I find some of the guys on this thread just don't have the spirit of sharing knowledge freely which is what the internet was all about. Not all of us know anything about micro-controllers or assembly coding or do we have the capability to learn it, but we do know some electronics and are keen to diy to the level that we are capable of.

thanwei_83, you have coding knowledge and managed to solve the mucop problems so why not share the enhanced source code with the rest of us who know nuts about programming?
You are using code that was offered to you freely to do as you please by the original programmer so why cant you reciprocate that gesture back to the rest us?

pradit_p, in my opinion your methods are unethical . Your are offering a product for sale with firmware that is not 100% your work. Sure you debugged it and enhanced it with LCD display but the foundation was given to you free of charge by the mucop programmer in the true spirit of internet sharing.
A better and more honest way of doing it would be to offer your enhanced source code or the debugged mucop source code without your added lcd display feature freely to anyone who wants it and still sell your kit with your improved firmware for the effort and time you have put in to those who cant be bothered to do it by themselves.

If you really want to see the real internet community sharing spirit and what it can achieve go to this site :-http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

peace

docdune

Hi Docdune
For people who didn't have knowledge of micro-controller or assembly, why not buy it. No need to buy from me you can buy from another guy also. I think it's price is cheaper than your programming board.
But for people who have programming board. I suppose that most of them have knowledge of coding. Mucop give us for guide line how to control that enough. So many email ask me source code I ask why. If you be student and got the project like this from your teacher. I think your teacher didn't want your Kit but he need to teach you how to learn and solve problem by yourself.
And if you have programming board I think it will enjoy you to solve this problem also like I did. I can advice for some people like Mr. Thanwei and at last he can solve by himself. I 'm not professional enough to give you a hint but I can tell you how to solve by asking me a question.
First you just start to make prototype as Mucop Schematic and dowload Mucop program if every thing correct don't miss wiring or miss typing program you will able to use open and close tray command buton. This command didn't want to check status from Cdrom.
But for play and skip before send command we have to check by read status that send out from CD first some command need to check busy or ready status, some command need to check request status before send next command.
For selling Kit in cheap price, I didn't force any one to buy my kit, this is just only sharing for people who didn't want to invest in programing board to do just only one or two controller board.
For source code, told me how long you take time for this, if you say you give up to solve by yourself and ask me source code I can give all of you. But not complain me for source code like this.

Hi Pradit_p,

I dont think you understand what i'm getting at, maybe i didnt get it across correctly but the previous post by davesaudio is also saying what i feel.
Okay let me put it this way, I have done many projects that where available from the net freely for the PIC microchip. I have some basic electronics knowledge and have built my own PIC programmer. With this programmer and the firmware for the projects that were provided by the original programmers freely i have diy'ed many pic projects successfully without programming knowledge and have gained enjoyment from this hobby of mine. I would like to diy this cdrom controller and have the expertise to veroboard build my own controller but i have zero software programming capabilities and do not have the time nor the inclination nor the aptitude to learn assembly just for this project. My sole interest in my hobby is just building the hardware that i need so if you or anyone who have succeded in debugging the mucop software is willing to help me and others, who just want to diy the hardware, by sharing with us either source code or firmware; it would be much appreciated.
So finally, anyway can help me out with a working firmware please email me :- thelupo_007@hotmail.com

Peace

docdune

Pradit, I give you credit for responding, I really expected
silence after my post. You have now shared at least something and I thank you.

I can understand some of your viewpoint, in the various microcontroller forums the students are always joining then
expecting the experts to do their homework for them.

For the most part I don't think is the nature of this DIYaudio family, neither do I just expect you to give away all your hard work of adding IR remote etc if you think it has commercial value -fine.

One does need to remember this is a group of differing abilities
and objectives. Some (like Docdune?) are happy being builders,
that means the pcb, burning the hex etc. some can't afford the
expensive (in my mind) shipping.

Asking for a hint and being told to RTFM is NOT what this place is about.
There may be some young guys currently learning many computer languages in university/college for whom this project from scratch would be easy. I have no idea of your background, maybe it was difficult for you too.

But there is probably every-kind of guy in between here at DIYaudio. People come here to learn and share.
There are some great projects here and some are sold as prebuilt or kits or whatever. But all is shared,(just like the original code), thats what makes them great,
otherwise it's just free advertising.

I don't remember anybody who came here and said
" I won't tell you how I did that "

:) hi, i jz saw the msg!i debugged the Mucop code by comparing some other quite similar project ... I analyzed it line by line...
to see wht code of mucop miss up... This is one of my way..
But the program still looks very unstable, sometime will hang...
I will share with u all after i solve the bugs.. mr.daveaudio, sorry for tht bcoz i do not have internet at home and i jz saw msg...

Hex file for my Schematic.

Hi all,

For a person who interest for control board.
Go to see my schematic on this page.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30529&perpage=10&highlight=cdrom&pagenumber=4

I will give you HEX file for PIC16F877 and PIC16F877A for free personal use only . This code include push button switch and LCD display function. Not include remote function. So from my schematic no need to connect IR for remote control.

Mail to me pradit@neonmagazine.com

I will start to send HEX file On 25th Dec 2004.

And if you satisfied my Code and would like to volunteer donate 1-5 USD, collection for education Charity in my country I would be appreciate.

Regards,
Pradit