DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

here comes a new challenger from chinese...

sorry, now only some chinese info for your reading. I try do some translation...

the key funcation:

- support mostly cdrom, like sony, ausu, philips, etc
- LED or VFD display
- CD PLAYER operation control: PLAY/PAUSE,REW,F.FW SKIP,SKIP, OPEN, CLOSE , etc,,,
- full funcation infrared remote controller!

some not sure:
- SPDIF output?
- DVD ROM control

and all part, only cost you 80rmb, about 10us$ ! hehe.
here is the links , and you can find more pic.

http://www.erji.net/dispbbs.asp?boardID=8&replyID=142331&ID=49614&skin=1

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The pops have nothing to do with missing C2 error correction. It has to do with the drive spinning up to 48 X, 52 x speed, filling up the buffer and spinning down when playing audio. Then the buffer becomes empty and the drive will spin up again at full speed causing a plop in the sound. That's why lower speed drives are more usable than 52 x drives etc. They are simply not designed for 1 x operation. The used chipset in the drive is also of importance.

Pc cdrom drives are mostly used with an external DAC for obvious reasons. Audio output is a feature, no more no less. Quality is not very important in this application in the eyes of some manufacturers. There is not much wrong with the technical qualities of the mechanism of most brands.

Ripping cd's can be done best at lower speeds ( like 4 x, 8 x ) because not all chipsets are able to rip audio without nasty artefacts at high speeds. Plextor is the brand to look for if you want to rip at very high speeds. Some Toshiba and Aopen DVD drives do it very well too. It depends per type, not per brand. CT magazine does some excellent tests now and then including all recent DVD ROM drives. Some do their job excellent and silent at higher speeds while others have problems just reading unscratched audio disks.

PANDORA is confusing

Yes I know, old thread- but so am I ;)

Finally had some time to look at the elector article
a bit sparse in places
Most confusing is how the author has used the PIC ports, hoping a PIC wizard can decypher this wiring:

ATA CDROM PIC
DD0 RC1
DD1 RC3
DD2 RD1
DD3 RD3
DD4 RC5
DD5 RC7
DD6 RD5
DD7 RD7
DD8 RD6
DD9 RD4
DD10 RC6
DD11 RC4
DD12 RD2
DD13 RD0
DD14 RC2
DD15 RC0

:mad:
something to do with driving on the other side of the road?

rephrasing:
What I don't understand is why he does not use the bits in sequence

example
dd0--> pic RC0
dd1--> pic RC1
dd2--> pic RC2
dd3--> pic RC3

even reversed order / per nibble /whatever would make sense.
the way its done I surmise he "encodes" the ATAPI command bytes to fit the bit sequence he has wired up?

was hoping some standard PIC programming trick is applied here

Still having difficulty with MuCop

All these Amtel projects look pretty good, but I still have this Mirochip Pic floating around for the MuCop. If anyone could help me out with a working hex file for that project I would greatly appreciate it.

Is anyone aware of any cd-rom controllers that use the PIC 16F877? The mucop is driving me nuts! I just got out of bed and booted up my computer to post this SOS message.

Thanks all.

davesaudio said:
Here's the direct link to the Elector download
http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/dl/details/dl0404.htm

download the "pandora" bits

My ideal "kit" would be a board I can buy and working code I can modify to my heart's content- this is audio DIY afterall...;)

Thanks Davestudio, You are a prince! I've been trying to get th mucop going for a while now and this looks like a good bet. thanks for the link.

;)

another pandora annoyance:
why make a single sided board ( with lots of open space )
and then make the artwork traces so thin that it has to be done
commercially or photographically-
they just were not thinking
( or wanted to sell their own board-could it be?)

on further review-- the pin config was used to make board routing
simple

Pandora/Mucop

You are absolutely right about the provided pcb design. I don't know what they are thinking when they do that.

So.. I just yanked all the wires out of my protoboard for the Mucop and I'm setting up to give the Pandora a whril. I'm trying to compare the PCB layout with the ASM code to figure out the schematic but it seems to be a little tedious. I'm trying to get a back issue of the article but shipping alone is rediculous for the magazine. If anyone has a scan of the shematic it would really help a lot.

BTW, I live in the GTA too.

Fmak,
You could try Ealing Broadway Reference Library. They used to hold a year or two's worth of Elektor but things may have changed. Failing that you could arrange for you local library to borrow a copy from the Document Supply Centre in Boston Spa.
One place that would definitely have the issue of Elektor you seek is the British Library in St Pancras but it can be difficult to gain access.
The IEEE Library in Savoy Place, Central London also carries Elektor.
http://www.iee.org/TheIEE/Research/LibSvc/

Mucop and pandora

hi,
i would like to share my problems here with those would doing the MuCop and the pandora.

1)For Mucop,the circuit seem hang when the play button pressed? u all facing the same problem?

2)can anyone tell me what is the purpose of AtaIdentifyDevice and the Ata_Reg_sectornumber inside MuCop code?

3)the program hang at AtaReadPacketToc,have anyone solve this problem?help me!

i have tried the pandora,the circuit connection a bit different compare with the Mucop..The codes of pandora,frankly speaking easier to understand because have the description beside the code.It made the code simple.BUt pandora have lesser functions.
Thus,i preferred Mucop :)