DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

"Oh, Meridian is using ROM Drives, so they must be 'High End' capable"
I hadn't even realised that we were attempting to copy Meridian (although doing something better than them would be nice! :) )

The fact and all the excitment is, in my eyes, that a CDROM drive is capable of getting all of the data off a reasonably-unscratched CD - PCs do it all the time with data .OK, we've established that it will require a bit (well, you know...) of work, but the long and the short of it all is that it is theoretically possible to create a 'perfect' and fully-customisable CD transport from a drive costing £30. Isn't that just cool?

It seems that the most 'hardcore' work in this project will have to be in creating ECC checking and re-reading routines for the controller. This is possible, definitely (a PC can do it), though I have no idea how much effort it will take. Once someone looks up the standard drive commands/interfaces, I don't see how an experienced programmer could have a whole lot of trouble creating this, but I'll say again that I don't really know.

Is there anyone still on here who isn't opposed to doing the controller themselves? I just don't see any area where it's amazingly complex.

Konnichiwa,

Wingfeather said:

The fact and all the excitment is, in my eyes, that a CDROM drive is capable of getting all of the data off a reasonably-unscratched CD - PCs do it all the time with data .

Only under software control from an external controller. Just actually read the source code for one of the better "Exact Audio" Rippers to see what is involved.

Wingfeather said:

OK, we've established that it will require a bit (well, you know...) of work, but the long and the short of it all is that it is theoretically possible to create a 'perfect' and fully-customisable CD transport from a drive costing £30. Isn't that just cool?

Well, I'm not sure I'd call it "cool". But yes, it is doable. My own investigations into the subject led me towards a HTPC and for fun to tinkering with a stripped down NEC602, which already has a display and drive controls pluys you can easily inject a decent external clock, as you can actually still find the clock on the drive....

Wingfeather said:

It seems that the most 'hardcore' work in this project will have to be in creating ECC checking and re-reading routines for the controller. This is possible, definitely (a PC can do it), though I have no idea how much effort it will take. Once someone looks up the standard drive commands/interfaces, I don't see how an experienced programmer could have a whole lot of trouble creating this, but I'll say again that I don't really know.

Yes, but HONEST, the easiest approach is simply to take a PC of the PentiumII/III Class minimum and "silence" it, plus add suitable software.

There are however in this day and age excellent HTPC Cases and Barebones around, worth investigating....

Wingfeather said:

Is there anyone still on here who isn't opposed to doing the controller themselves? I just don't see any area where it's amazingly complex.

It is not too complex, BUT it has been noted that with a single uP/PIC we are hitting speed barriers among other issues. It would be great however to have a simple controller that takes any IDE Drive and creates I2S, S/P-DIF & AES/EBU outputs with a further BNC "clock" Input for an external master clock.

Or again, another option would be to add Guido's VCXO based re-clocker and a memory buffer after the on-board S/P-DIF section of the CD-Rom. With a VCXO having only a few samples in memory will be fine.

Sayonara

Attachments

• schematic.gif
    schematic.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,188
Mattcatt, in your schematic couldn't be 16F84 (only 18 pins). Anyway I'm working on a version with 16F8xx that supports LCD display and remote. The first attempt of sound will be with AD1892 receiver with some reclocking.
The ATA specs are really a mess; I hope I can transform data into I2S with a help of a CPLD; otherwise a DSP will be the only alternative to make a good standalone CD.

Lupulroz said:
Mattcatt, in your schematic couldn't be 16F84 (only 18 pins). Anyway I'm working on a version with 16F8xx that supports LCD display and remote. The first attempt of sound will be with AD1892 receiver with some reclocking.
The ATA specs are really a mess; I hope I can transform data into I2S with a help of a CPLD; otherwise a DSP will be the only alternative to make a good standalone CD.

If you are going to do anything that actually requires the power of a DSP chip, then you might as well go down the PC route. Unless you plan to process, e.g. equalize, the data in some way, a DSP chip is a complication one can well do without.

ray.

Clock division for CD ROM transport

I Picked up a cheap NEC CDR500 CD ROM drive at the weekend (SCSI). I have already taken it to pieces- a nice aluminium cast assembly like a CD-PRO mechanism. Unfortunately I was not too observant and there is no S/PDIF out! Looking on the board I have found a TDA1545A (with I2S bus). I wish to use the I2S, together with a CS8402A to provide me with a nice S/PDIF output so I can use with a variety of equipment (I know it is not the ultimate!) Of course I am going to reclock the transport. Currently the clock operates at 384 x fs (44100). However the Crystal Semiconductor transmitter only operates at 256 x fs

My question to others is- will a divide by 1.5 clock divider circuit (using flip flops and logic) result in significant jitter? Is there an alternate transmitter on the market that will operate from 384 x fs (44100) ?:scratch:

Re: Clock division for CD ROM transport

Oli said:
I Picked up a cheap NEC CDR500 CD ROM drive at the weekend (SCSI). I have already taken it to pieces- a nice aluminium cast assembly like a CD-PRO mechanism. Unfortunately I was not too observant and there is no S/PDIF out! Looking on the board I have found a TDA1545A (with I2S bus). I wish to use the I2S, together with a CS8402A to provide me with a nice S/PDIF output so I can use with a variety of equipment (I know it is not the ultimate!) Of course I am going to reclock the transport. Currently the clock operates at 384 x fs (44100). However the Crystal Semiconductor transmitter only operates at 256 x fs

My question to others is- will a divide by 1.5 clock divider circuit (using flip flops and logic) result in significant jitter? Is there an alternate transmitter on the market that will operate from 384 x fs (44100) ?:scratch:

AKM AK4101/AK4103
TI DIT4096/DIT4192

ray.

Lupulroz said:

oops, im so used to typing it, i forgot its meant to be a PIC16F877.

i hope to hear of your project

Matttcattt said:
Fashion? Dogma? Satan uses a dac with a built-in filter?
could someone point me to a DAC tutorial? the datasheets are not very helpful.

Not a tutorial and based on rather old IC's, Analog Devices' AN-394 application note gives a useful insight into the design of a dac and AN-283 covers the bitstream type dacs, the type of dac ic that usually comes with a built-in filter.
You might also find this useful
http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dactop.htm

ray

rfbrw said:

Fashion? Dogma? Satan uses a dac with a built-in filter?

Not a tutorial and based on rather old IC's, Analog Devices' AN-394 application note gives a useful insight into the design of a dac and AN-283 covers the bitstream type dacs, the type of dac ic that usually comes with a built-in filter.
You might also find this useful
http://members.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dactop.htm

ray

thanks, ill have a look when i have a chance.