DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It is the intention to manufacture it in Denmark. So there will be no import fees to Sweden/EU. There will be VAT though, unless you have a VAT registration.

The interface is ASIO, using a Thesycon driver. It supports Win 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
With MAC and Linux no driver should be needed. I haven't tested this though.

Jens,

I have been interested all along (this is a fine thread for all the content) and still interested.

I am not sure if it fits your plans and goals, but here is a request.

Would you consider providing an option of fully assembled boards, with the buyer building enclosure and peripherals around?
This might make it more affordable to a lot more folks.

Please dont misunderstand. Something of this quality takes an incredible amount of time and effort, so you are fully justified in choosing whatever price the market supports.
I was just thinking aloud if other slightly more affordable DIY options of just one initial production run are a possibility.

Ok. I presume the lack of response means assembled boards without the enclosure is not an option. Thanks.

Jens,

There are several software options available out there. All support ASIO interface to soundcard like device.

1. ARTA (limited freeware, license option available)
2. REW (freeware)
3. SpectraplusSC (license)
4. Dr Jordan design (license)
5. HpW works (license)
6. Virtins (license)
7. AudioTester (license)
8. Rightmark Audio anaylzer (license)

Which one do you have experience using and also trying with your analyzer? Do you recommend one?

Last edited:
Jens I am only interested in a fully assembled unit just as a clarification since many others seem not to be. (I'm not really a hobbyist and just want something that works right out of the box for me.)

I assume it will be available for 120V/60Hz operation, if not I do have 240V available..

It seems a fully assembled unit is the only available option as Jens just confirmed.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Jens,

There are several software options available out there. All support ASIO interface to soundcard like device.

2. REW (freeware)
5. HpW works (license)
6. Virtins (license)
7. AudioTester (license)

Which one do you have experience using and also trying with your analyzer? Do you recommend one?

I have tried ARTA, REW, HpW Works and AudioTester.
I mainly use AudioTester, which I have used for a number of years. I find it easy to use, but there are limitations.
But it really depends on what you need to measure. I have used ARTA for some measurements that AudioTester could not do.
HpW Works seems to have a lot of options, so I intend to explore that one in more detail.

I assume it will be available for 120V/60Hz operation, if not I do have 240V available..
Yes, it does support 120V/60Hz.
There is a switch to select: 100 to 120V or 220 to 240V. 50 and 60Hz is supported.

Jens,

2. REW (freeware)
5. HpW works (license)
6. Virtins (license)
7. AudioTester (license)

Wave Spectra Ver. 1.51E (ASIO, up to 384), plus:
WaveGene Ver. 1.51E (ASIO, up to 384, up to 8 channels)

both are free (google it! Web site is in Japanese, but the links to download are clear).

2. REW (freeware)
5. HpW works (license)
6. Virtins (license)
7. AudioTester (license)

Do you recommend one?

And there are MANY other software packages out there. As long as they work with the audio interface recognised by the operating system, you should be fine with Jens' Analyzer, which works as a USB audio interface. Just pick the software that does the job for you. For me, this is THE big advantage of Jens' design over the QA or AP devices. I will use it with MATAA.

BTW: what do you mean by "license"? Most free software comes with a license these days.

And there are MANY other software packages out there. As long as they work with the audio interface recognised by the operating system, you should be fine with Jens' Analyzer, which works as a USB audio interface. Just pick the software that does the job for you. For me, this is THE big advantage of Jens' design over the QA or AP devices. I will use it with MATAA.

BTW: what do you mean by "license"? Most free software comes with a license these days.

I wasn't clear. I just meant paid versions.

thanks

Hi All.
A couple of the boards have been used for testing alternative op-amps and may never be completely finished. I have made detailed measurements on most of the boards to get some statistics regarding the performance.

Jens Hansen
Would you mind posting these results? I'm quite interested in how DIY measurement equipment compares to something like and audio precision!

It is the intention to manufacture it in Denmark. So there will be no import fees to Sweden/EU. There will be VAT though, unless you have a VAT registration.

The interface is ASIO, using a Thesycon driver. It supports Win 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
With MAC and Linux no driver should be needed. I haven't tested this though.
Great.
Just 3 more questions:
1. What payment option are there?
2. When should it be payed ?
3. What's the analyzers name ? Jensalyzer 11B
(ducks and runs for cover :tons:)