DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive

New SG4 orders update

Hi Folks

I just got another batch back from pyramid, orders from those that have paid their PayPal invoices will go out tomorrow, or Sat. at the latest.

There will be a change in price for future invoices, the chips will go up to $7.00 each. That more closely reflects the actual costs by the time tax, shipping, and packing material are factored in.

Pyramid is being shipped another batch of chips to program, when I get them (probably a week or so), I will ship out the requests that have not been invoiced yet.

The procedure for ordering is to email my private email address: twystd3 at yahoo dot com. Include your name and your forum name (minimizes confusion) along with the amount of chips, and your shipping address. I will then send you a PayPal invoice that will include the PayPal fees. If you don't get an invoice from me after 2 days check your spam folder. If after 2 days you don't get an invoice or some response from me, and it's not in your spam folder, send a PM through the forum. Remember this is for US shipping only, ralphcooke is handling international orders. BTW, I am not supplying boards.

Have fun,
twystd

Completed Board

Here's a photo of my completed board. It seems to work perfectly. The extra board for the switches and display is (probably) temporary until I figure out my final packaging.

Pyramid - you have created a thing of beauty!. Thanks for sharing this with the community.

Some question for the experts.

I'll be using this with my old, but still fine Thorens TD-160. The TD-160 uses a stepped pulley to select speeds. Would I be better off relying on the Thorens mechanical speed selection mechanism or using the 81 Hz frequency from the SG4 (leaving the belt on the 33 1/3 step)?

I was thinking of using the SG4 with one of the cheap digital amps that are all over ebay, primarily because they are small, efficient and don't generate much in the way of heat (makes packaging easier). Any reason that might not work?

Also I have a pair of Signal, split bobbin, low profile transformers on hand. Will these tolerate the higher frequency? What about the TD-160 motor?

Thanks.

Attachments

• SG4.jpg
    SG4.jpg
    976.5 KB · Views: 911
The motors in that thread are 8 pole and 4 pole motors, so the drive frequency needed is 40Hz/20Hz for 600 RPM.

The voltage and phase relationships also change as the frequency changes in order for it to function properly. The controller and amp are much more sophisticated than the SG4.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here's a photo of my completed board. It seems to work perfectly. The extra board for the switches and display is (probably) temporary until I figure out my final packaging.

Can you post a picture from the back? I'd like to see some detail on the connector. What is the blue connector called? I asume its available from digikey, i just want to save some time sorting through hundreds or thousands of results :)

I was thinking of using the SG4 with one of the cheap digital amps that are all over ebay, primarily because they are small, efficient and don't generate much in the way of heat (makes packaging easier). Any reason that might not work?

With the automatic ramp up of voltage, the SG4 should work fine with Class D amps. I just bought one of these on e-Bay to try: TDA7492 Class D Amp

I'll post the results when I get it.

Also I have a pair of Signal, split bobbin, low profile transformers on hand. Will these tolerate the higher frequency? What about the TD-160 motor?.

The Signal transformers will work electrically. Mechanically, they are on the cheap end. VPI uses these in their ADS power supply and they have problems with mechanical hum on some units. Potted transformers (especially toroids) are a better choice.

The TD-160 motor should be fine. Torque drops off at the higher speed, so the reduced voltage should be higher than at 33 RPM.

Last edited:
Rif,

Below are two photos of the connector I used. I actually bought them off ebay since they were pretty cheap there. Mouser had them also as I recall, but these were an after thought and Mouser was about twice as expensive (even with shipping) anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2561.JPG
    IMG_2561.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 977
  • back connector1.jpg
    back connector1.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 941

The TDA-7492 Class D amp works a treat:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...-diy-turntable-motor-drive-5.html#post4967916

The amp cost $10 on e-Bay and can be powered by a $18 wall adapater.

The amp is configured for more gain than is needed, so you will need a pot or resistive divider (8.2K to input & 1.8K to ground) to drop the 5VPP output of the SG4 down to ~920mVPP.

Like others, I too would like to thank Pyramid and hpn5350 for their efforts and voluntary support so far; and also to twystd or ralphcooke, and of course others who have offered useful suggestions and information in the two relevant topics.

I am a little busy with projects at this point and don't really need another, but this one was simply too compelling to ignore, so I've begun collecting parts and information, squeezing everything into my schedule and parts budget as best I can.

This will be used with a REGA P3 'table (without the P3-24 motor upgrade). A compelling attribute is the Generator should work with both versions, should I ever take advantage of the upgrade kit from REGA.

So far I have the two PCBs, the 2x50w amplifier and KY-040 are on a slow boat heading my way, and a Mouser parts order is in the works. Transformers will probably have to wait until next month's budget opens up, and I plan to DIY an enclosure.

Certain parts had to be ordered from China rather than the US based suppliers mentioned in this thread (free shipping versus $20 a pop made that decision for me) so I don't expect to be building for perhaps 45 days.

All in all a fine effort by all. I am looking forward to enjoying the build and the result.

I have ended up with 3 extra chips. These were sent by Pyramid in excess of the 3 that I paid for.

With Pyramids permission I am offering them to anyone from this part of the world for the cost of postage from Perth, Australia. Limited to 1 per person.
A donation to your favourite charity would be nice.
Regards,
kffern

I have ended up with 3 extra chips. These were sent by Pyramid in excess of the 3 that I paid for.

With Pyramids permission I am offering them to anyone from this part of the world for the cost of postage from Perth, Australia. Limited to 1 per person.
A donation to your favourite charity would be nice.
Regards,
kffern

On second thought, one person can/should buy all 3 and order the boards and then part them out as I did.
Regards,
kffern