distortion analyzer recomendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Milos
The amplifier GAIN should not exceed about 30dB. This would mean that the 316 mv max signal would get to about 10 volts RMS or about 14.1 Vpp. You would need ± 18VDC on the opamps. I would choose to have the gain set for about 26dB, as I don’t want the opamp to get close to the rails. A number of opamps are good to about 4 volts from the rails before the distortion products raise their heads.
I hope this will help you make a good decision about you project.
Duke:)

As I understand it ,here's the schematic of the A2 board with he voltages. I have to deal with 1mV.

Attachments

• A2 circuit complete.jpg
    A2 circuit complete.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Thanks. The funny thing is that one of the best is that little Breeze Audio USB DAC.
On 12V, as you recommended it, the 5V reg. closest to the power input was cooking, so I bend it towards the back cover, dremmeled out a piece of ridge in the top cover where the regulator is, put a little heat compound on the place and now it's heat sinked nicely. That DAC is clean as a whistle.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Breeze is AK4490 + XMOS + socketed dual opamp. I need to add that heat sink. the power supply seems not fully thought through. less than 12V it clips at 0dBFS more than 12V it cooks.

I have a similar china box with AK4497 X2 that I hope to get running soon. Its lots more flexible so I need to sort out what they got right and what isn't. It will be interesting and has potential for even better analog performance. But it may have really bad firmware.

HP-334a A2 Imp Conv - Meter Amp

I made the changes, I wasn't expecting that big of a change.
Shocking really, the H2 and H3 down 100dB. So instead to make a buffer amp for the output, maybe I should make a new RMS meter amp. :confused:
Pics, from the left: before, after mod

Attachments

• 334a output  300mV on meter - volt mode.jpg
    334a output 300mV on meter - volt mode.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 334a output  300mV in -D6 out - D7 Byepassed - volt mode 2.jpg
    334a output 300mV in -D6 out - D7 Byepassed - volt mode 2.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 268
Block diagram

Looking of the block diagram and following the signal route ,it's look like the Meter Amp doesn't have any effect on the distortion performance of the 334a.
The Meter Amp only supply the output connector and bridge nulling circuit which is at the interaction points (Lamps) are DC. Richard Moore mentioned in his greening article that, when he disconnected the lamps ,or lamp, the distortion dropped. I would suspect that's only possible if the LDR's are nonlinear.

Attachments

• 0 Block HP-334A.jpg
    0 Block HP-334A.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 213
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.