Discussing digital and class A amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
mikelm said:
So in a PP amp which one of the o/p devices, for instance, would you call passive ?

the pulling device is "passively" active, :)

In my universe pulling and pushing are both actions and therefore both yang.

mikelm said:
I wonder what your universe is like...

I am not sure. never thought about it that way. but if I have to, I would say that pulling one is more on the yin side and the pushing one is on the yan side.

I hope a better amp will come out of this discussion, :).

Some years ago Class AD was used for the ordinary two-level switching amp and BD was used for three-level switching amps.
The advantages and disadvantages can be compared to the differences between class A and class B (i.e. class AD having less distortion an less effieciency, thought the differences in this respect are not that high.

Regards

Charles

Single Ended Air?

cjh said:
The air is not "sucked" into the vacuum. It is pushed there by air molecules on the the other side of the air molecules closest to the vacuum.

Sorry, this is 1) also not that much true and 2) not the best picture, what happens between loadspeaker and air.

Best to think of air as a bunch billiard balls going in all directions.

Now if the speaker membran is moving away from the air, each time an air molecules collides with the membran, some velocity is lost for the molecule. If the speaker membran is moving towards the air, on each collision an air molecule gains speed.

From impulse and energy conversation, it is easily seen that this is a symmetric process.

Regards,
Peter Jacobi

time and place for all

Hi,

Please allow to paint things in a different light as no one seemed to mention this yet.

Obviously "the best" class A amp will always be superior to "the best" class D amp. Which sounds best will always be arguable as they'll always be different.

However the facts are, you'll probably never see a 500W rms per channel or > class A amp and this is why high quality class D amplifiers have a great demand. Personally permormance wise (can't say I've gotten to sample any yet) they now seem to qualify for what's considered Hi-Fidelity audio, which is in the end what we're all after, while the demand for a fine quality class A amp is somewhat limited to the purists with a good pair of earphones to drive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.