Digital audio from IDE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indefinitely on hold. There's only a couple of people interested in it, and this project requires a big time investment to get done. And I've got other projects I'm working on that are a lot more rewarding than audio ones, which usually just tend to create hate mail in my inbox.

If the interest peaks up, maybe i'll get back into it. Or if anyone wants to take the project over (selftones?) i might mail my BF533 IDE interface to someone.

Looks like the IDE driver for Blackfin uClinux is now available in the 2005_R4 release...

After spending so much time reading in the other mega thread, I thankfully got redirected over here... :cool:

Is anyone planning on picking up development on this project now that the IDE driver is available?

I'd love to see this project finish. I'd love to help out, but frankly, my experience is not in this space. I'm going to start poking around at the uClinux pieces, and see if I can make heads or tails of it. Until then, I won't be of much use except as a cheerleader. :D GO GMARSH!!! :D

- Ken

gmarsh said:
Indefinitely on hold. There's only a couple of people interested in it, and this project requires a big time investment to get done. And I've got other projects I'm working on that are a lot more rewarding than audio ones, which usually just tend to create hate mail in my inbox.

If the interest peaks up, maybe i'll get back into it. Or if anyone wants to take the project over (selftones?) i might mail my BF533 IDE interface to someone.

I'll help what can i help with. ?

apolon34 said:
Hi,

the uC will have to handle a bck signal at 2.1Mhz. With a 40mhz uC, you'll have only 20 instructions to fetch the data and generate the signal !!

you really need something powerful to do it !
The data is serial. It will be converted to bytes in the I2S interface so the actual data rate is 8x less, then joined into words to make the audio sample value

IDE devices are now supported in uClinux? sweet! I'll put the evaluation board back together shortly and give this a try.

I've done more 'unofficial' work on this project. A short time ago, I had the BF533 evaluation board reading linear sectors off a hard drive and spitting them out the onboard codec. This was test code for another project, and I was using VisualDSP and my own code instead of uCLinux. While putting linux in things is fun and all, if I restart this project I might just use my own code in VisualDSP - the lesser memory footprint and especially-lesser code size is worth it.

And besides, you can download a VisualDSP++ evaluation version and recompile code if you want more features. I'll GPL any code I release.

Unfortuantely, work has really picked up, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on this project at all.

I've downloaded uClinux and some simulators just to start getting familiar with the environment and what I can and can't do. Unfortunately, I can't find any Blackfin emulators, so I can't play with the Blackfin specific port. I'm going on the assumption that the basics all remain constant.

I'm also going to download VisualDSP, as that's what GMarsh has been using. I'm not a DSP programmer by trade, so it's very possible that this will be a very quick dead end for me. But I'll give it a shot and see where it takes me.

GMarsh, any chance you've had the time/desire to put more unofficial work into this?

DragonMaster: Formats will come later. For the first pass, I think we're concentrating on redbook cd audio. Once we're all happy with that, we may work on more formats. If we end up with uClinux, we'll probably be able to leverage more people to help code for more formats. If we go with direct blackfin programming, we'll be at the mercy of GMarsh and others like him who have the expertise. ;)

- Ken

hello,
is there anything going on with this excellent project?...unfortunately, my knowledge is way off the programming and digital audio, but i'd love to see some working device for accurace DAE....
what about some of those cheap commercial DVD recorders with HDD? Wouldn't that be some inspiration for IDE audio extraction?

DragonMaster said:

Ouch!

Sad... :bawling: :(
I'm fine, I'll heal up. If anything i'm a bit bored. :D

Considering the magnitude of what happened, the fact that I broke only what I broke (my head/neck/back/etc are all fine) and by some miracle a multiple femur fracture didn't puncture my femoral artery, I'm happy to be in the condition i'm in.

Things could have been way worse. Spending a couple weeks in the hospital seeing far worse injuries and sharing a room with someone with terminal cancer really puts your life in a different perspective.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.