Digital audio and stress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lime only for this cowboy - of course some of the nice local small batch artisanals are spoiled with any mixers at all - I'll take my chilled tonic water as a chaser, thanks

as per the original thread topic, a nice 4 fingers of which can certainly alleviate any of the stress of listening to digital format - for me it's the musicality of the work that matters, and "good" music can transcend most of the limitations of the medium / playback stream - bad music is unlistenable, period

Last edited:
"good" music can transcend most of the limitations of the medium / playback stream - bad music is unlistenable, period
I agree totally.

A little off-topic, but I jam weekly with a few friends who are also amateur musicians. The format is a song circle, where we take turns playing and singing, and other members of the group join in (with instruments, vocal harmonies, or what have you) if they feel like it.

When things go well, this can be very enjoyable - even though the overall standard of musicianship in our group isn't very high, and one can hear plenty of butchered melodies, fumbled chords, erratic timing, and less-than-attractive guitar tones. Things, in fact, that would be unbearable for me to hear on a recorded performance. The music can be perceived as "good", even with the obvious limitations of the "playback stream", in this case, the musicians.

I'm pretty sure this effect goes far back into our evolutionary history. Long before they ever evolved speech, packs of proto-human primates surely howled and shrieked together in demonstrations of pack unity and territorial ownership. Our brains are surely wired to make us feel happier and closer to the other pack members when we howl and shriek with them.

Back to recorded music, I find a similar effect there; video recordings of live music performances pull me in much more deeply than just audio alone. If I can see the musicians as they play and interact with each other, some part of my brain gets the same good vibes I feel when I actually create live music with my friends. "Dark Side of the Moon" was incredible to listen to on vinyl for the first time, but watching a DVD recording of David Gilmour and the rest of his band play it is even more immersive.

Which makes me wonder how the contemporary popular music video evolved. Personally, I'd enjoy the music much more if I could watch the actual musicians creating the music, rather than see some narcissistic singer prancing around.

-Gnobuddy

I thought that was the basis of rock-n-roll. No?
I expect so, at its root. And also of the hundreds of different tribal music traditions from all over our little planet, where dozens of "ordinary folk" get together and create music collectively.

I think rock-n-roll is rather different, in the sense that there is a huge separation between performers and audience. The screaming young women at Shea Stadium didn't see themselves as participating equals to the Beatles - though clearly, they also enjoyed the experience of being "inferior beings" in the presence of the musical super-gods.

-Gnobuddy

...Which makes me wonder how the contemporary popular music video evolved. Personally, I'd enjoy the music much more if I could watch the actual musicians creating the music, rather than see some narcissistic singer prancing around.

I agree. I always prefer a straight-up performance video to the "artsy" ones. Any piece of music worth listening to will provide its own imagery, which will be a little different for each listener. What a wonderful thing! Then music videos came along, and suddenly we were all expected to have our own imagery collectively supplanted by whatever singular mess the producer envisioned. No, thanks! I never understood the popularity of MTV, mainly for this reason alone.

But live performance videos affect me differently. When it's just the performers interacting with the audience, my original imagery can remain intact - not always, but usually. I think it may have something to do with the fact that although it's the same piece of music, the performance always differs enough from the frozen-in-time audio memory of the original studio performance, that my original internal visual cues remain undisturbed? Does that make any sense?

<ahem> Sorry. Too much coffee tonight. (I don't drink or do drugs anymore, but I make really good coffee, heh.)

- Jim

And you missed the bit that two samples in a 20kHz signal are enough to perfectly reproduce the original signal.

This is something worth seeing in a practical example.

We did a bunch of simple DSP stuff in a mechatronics class, mostly related to control systems, but some audio stuff just to get the concepts down. Programming in assembly on an ancient TI microprocessor, as I recall...maybe a TMS320 ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
One of the very best videos about digial audio, explaining in very clear non-math terms all we discussd here:
Beautifully done video Jan, thanks for the link. Didn't he used to post there a few years back?

As I stated earlier, I don't think the problem is on the digital side, it's the analog sections in the digital audio chain that are so often causing the problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.