Digital audio and stress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds like the Rigol model(s).

When I used DSOs a couple decades ago they didn't have the band-limiting filter for whatever sample rate it was set at, and it was easy to get bit by aliasing. The kids thesedays don't know how good they have it. We had to walk unfiltered stairsteps to school and back. Upstairs both ways.

Just another quick stab at bandwidth of the Compact Disc: A certain digital oscilloscope samples one trillion times per second, yet its -3dB bandwidth is only 100 MHz, not 500 MHz, as sampling theorem allows. This is, because electro-technicians care about impulse response and do not like their laboratory equipment to ring. Yet consumers are supposed to bear ringing? Because they are that stupid to fall for that telepathic stuff anyway? Eh?

Congratulations, a pointless incorrect piece of information just to promote your belief, you should be a politician...:p

Many would also say there's no music in Steps... :D
A self-taught musician I know routinely produces rhythms that sound very much like an accidental spill of bowling balls rolling down some steps...

I am, of course, using the word "rhythms" rather loosely.

On reflection, I think this actually supports your case...there's not much music in bowling balls falling down steps!

-Gnobuddy

A self-taught musician I know routinely produces rhythms that sound very much like an accidental spill of bowling balls rolling down some steps...

I am, of course, using the word "rhythms" rather loosely.

On reflection, I think this actually supports your case...there's not much music in bowling balls falling down steps!

-Gnobuddy

I think gpauk had a little but, I think you will agree, well deserved dig at these Steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMY58D8-B00

I think gpauk had a little but, I think you will agree, well deserved dig at these Steps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMY58D8-B00
From the capital "S", I figured gpauk was referring to some cultural thing (though, mercifully, I had never encountered Steps before).

But I couldn't resist tweaking that sideways into a discussion of the musical potential of staircases...music escalier, perhaps, instead of music concrète? :)

-Gnobuddy

Yeah but did you watch at least part of the video?
I did indeed, until my protective hind-brain reflexes kicked in, and I ran away, screaming in mindless horror at the awfulness I'd just witnessed. :eek:

Hours later, I can't entirely put a finger on what makes Steps quite as awful as they are. Perhaps it's that they look and sound like a combination of the very worst elements of Bond (the string quartet), Abba, Olivia Newton John, the Bee Gees, and Celine Dion, all mixed together in an awful amalgam.
I'm trying to right global wrongs here as it is simply not fair that some may have escaped this musical affront to humanity. ;-)
Thanks very much for administering vigilante justice. To me. :cuss:

Perhaps there should be a thread somewhere where we can share links to the worst music we've ever encountered?

-Gnobuddy

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I did indeed, until my protective hind-brain reflexes kicked in, and I ran away, screaming in mindless horror at the awfulness I'd just witnessed. :eek:

Give thanks that you are not of the age and geographic location to have had daughters who were into steps and had the CDs that they then insisted on listening to in the car!

I'm almost recovered from that. I think years of watching the Eurovision song contest steeled me for the ordeal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.