Did I murder my Philips CD303?

I got a Philips cd 303 with noisy outputs, so I replaced all the caps on the power supply and laser board, repaired broken soldier joints... And it worked fine.
Then I decided to change dac power supply caps, but when I was connecting dac board I misplaced two 3 cable connectors, the data and power supply I think.
Now only drawer works and mab8410p chip is getting really hot. I tried putting a chip from a cd 304, which is a little different, and with it it spins the disc but won't read, display doesn't work... but the chip is staying cool.
So, did I fry the mab8410p? Are there any replacements avalible?
Any help would be greatly appeciated.

you have to start from the base, namely, the power supply/regulation card, check the presence of all the right voltages in the right place (card disconnected) and then, when you are sure that everything is fine, you can ( using the SM) check all the pcb values by pcb, finishing with the DAC part.

I checked the power supply voltages, they are okay. I don't think I should leave it on with the mab8410p chip running scorching hot.
You don't think that the chip that I supplied voltages instead of data, and is now running very hot is not the clear indication of problem? Maybe I could remove it and then check voltages, but that would only tell me if something else got damaged by my mistake? As I understand this is logic chip that has programs written in it, so it's not easily replaceable, though I've seen some advertised for this player.
Thanks.

@kaulagalvis Yeah, I've read that somewhere. It is B007C, and I've found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294024131613
but I think it's too expensive for something I'm not sure will work.
So I did murder it. Bummer.
One of those connectors is white and the other one is black, but I was dumb enough to go by the way wires are curved (which can change)
I think I liked the sound more than the marantz cd 54. It was reading discs marantz would skip.

Last edited:
Thanks man, me too! I'm kind of new here, sometimes I take DIY a little too literally : )
We'll have to build a new world anyways, so why not draw inspiration from 1983 belgium : )
Look at these gold plated legs on LM317s:

Attachments

• DSCF1636.JPG
    DSCF1636.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF1634.JPG
    DSCF1634.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 1 user
After replacing the chip and (this time) carefully connecting the cables the cd player works! And sounds wonderful.
Thank you all for help.
Any idea how to improve it? I've recapped the power supply with larger capacitance, and changed digital power supply caps to 150mf sanyo oscons, I have some russian paper in oil caps, so I was thinking of stealing the signal after first half of the opamps? It seemed to clear things up a bit in marantz...
Also the motor is a bit noisy, even after lubrication, this is an easyy fix with cdm1 but has anyone opened a brushed motor on cdm0? I guess grinding the tabs that hold the back plate would open it..

Attachments

• DSCF1819.JPG
    DSCF1819.JPG
    511.8 KB · Views: 23