Did anyone have the guts to cut out a Lowther Whizzer Cone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have never heard Lowthers, although I assume they will have the same sort of Fostex/other fullrange sound with tons of resonances and energy storage, sort of a paper/cardboardy mess. Loud at low power like only peaky speakers can be. Am I wrong?

BTW, the SEAS fullrange was probably this:
Seas Breitbandlautsprecher 11F-LGWD

If You examining driver without cabinet, in your hands, You are not wrong.

Some curves. The two on top are measured close and approx 1m distance without filter. The lower two with filter

Put some barrel to fill the cavity. Leave just 1mm space. Do not use the barrels much smaller dia from piston. Goal is to fill that cavity as slose but not to have contact with moving piston. Please take a look at the Altman micro machines examples with plugs. :)

Last edited:
Almost every example of diy plug have huge gap with respect to the coil former barrell. It should be max 1mm or smaller. But not to have contact in anu possition of moving coil piston. About 5mm longer than the end of former or beguining of the membrane.
Take a look at Altmans site please.

What is the effect on the SPL curve or impulse response if the gap is bigger?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.