Did anyone have the guts to cut out a Lowther Whizzer Cone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FWIW,

I have a pair of DX-55 cones without whizzers. They exhibit a large peak
in the upper mids, and I did not find them to be any improvement.

Peak disappeared with whizzer removed?

I am asking since my system now becomes a 3-way (BLH DX4 up to 800Hz, TD2001 till 8kHz and a T900A beyond 8kHz).
Eg. with double bass recordings (sound fantastic by the way), the whizzers have an annoying rattle to the carefull observer/listener,

Peak disappeared with whizzer removed?

Not the way I read it: Nelson appears to be saying that he's got a pair of DX55s without the additional sub-cone / whizzer & they have a large peak in the upper midrange.

Horning run Lowthers modified with the secondary cones removed. They do not provide any measurements however, although their speakers are well received amongst those who like that sort of system.

.... their speakers are well received amongst those who like that sort of system.

I have never heard Lowthers, although I assume they will have the same sort of Fostex/other fullrange sound with tons of resonances and energy storage, sort of a paper/cardboardy mess. Loud at low power like only peaky speakers can be. Am I wrong?

BTW, the SEAS fullrange was probably this:
Seas Breitbandlautsprecher 11F-LGWD

I have never heard Lowthers, although I assume they will have the same sort of Fostex/other fullrange sound with tons of resonances and energy storage, sort of a paper/cardboardy mess. Loud at low power like only peaky speakers can be. Am I wrong?

'couldn't tell you, I've never heard any Horning product. I simply said that they use Lowther units, sans whizzer cones, and that they are well-recieved by people who like that sort of speaker that uses a large cone wideband driver as a midrange unit. I couldn't live with Lowther drivers myself, if used as direct radiators -the lower HF peaking most have doesn't suit me. That said, as originally designed, Lowther drivers were not meant to be direct radiators, and in any case, it's not for the likes of me to tell people what they should or shouldn't like.

FWIW, from a few, er, moons ago: 6moons audio reviews: Hørning Hybrid Agathon Ultimate

I'm not entirely convinced about using Lowthers as midrange units -modified or not, that's not really what they were designed for. Still, some do seem to like them, so it may be worth considering if you're already inclined in that direction. In theory, it should improve off-axis response up to the lower treble regions.

(1) This page records adventures with a ~similar 8" driver

Wharfedale Super 8

Basically the 'naked' cone has a big 3-4kHz peak, and the whizzer smears this out to become a broader series of ragged peaks and notches.

(2) Post 11 shows the hackwork I did to turn another bad fullrange driver into a half-decent coaxial.

EDIT: here is the link
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/308166-wharfedale-golden-10-karlsonator-2.html#post5109221

I can't see what you'd gain by starting with a Lowther. There are pro midbass drivers that are better and cheaper.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.