DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Hi David,

At which stage you get the error msg? No errors while selecting an ASIO driver under preferences?
Regarding he error msg itself: it says "ASI" instead of "ASIO". Very strange, as I couldn't find a typo in the source listings. It looks like the memory and/or the ini file has been corrupted. Sometimes a fresh ini file will help (by deleting the old one).
That "-5" means it couldn't acquire information on the driver.

>"I get this with the EMU and ARTA as well" That suggests something is wrong with the driver. Maybe re-installing it will cure these issues. What about other programs (if you have them) using the EMU card?
Otherwise try this ASIO latency check: CEntrance -> Latency Test Utility and see if this program have issues with the driver.

Cheers,
E.

Okay Edmond I found problem. That's a serious problem. It's much worse with .net apps. A big latency between mouse moves and GDI response.
Did you report this to Microsoft Dev team?
Cheers,

Of course I did, and (of course) they did nothing about it. Most likely, they don't care, as most people don't opt for "Show window content while dragging" and if they do, they don't see that something is wrong or think it's "normal". :mad:

Cheers,
E.

Hi Edmond,

The error is right after starting DiAna. No error while selecting drivers.

The driver is the EMU original that came with the 0204. It never did work well in win10. Better in XP but that blew up long ago and was replace with win10.

I did here the tone when DiAna was recording

I try the driver with ARTA and get back to you.

Cheers,

Of course I did, and (of course) they did nothing about it. Most likely, they don't care, as most people don't opt for "Show window content while dragging" and if they do, they don't see that something is wrong or think it's "normal". :mad:

Cheers,
E.

I'm not surprised. I don't think MS cares about win32 exe's. If it were the new technologies then they would look into it.

Are you on the Windows Insider Program? Here you have access to the win developers on a forum for win10 and win10 related technologies along with other outside developers. It's free to sign up.

Hi Edmond,

The error is right after starting DiAna. No error while selecting drivers.
Hi David,

Right after the start-up, the register is scanned to find all ASIO drivers. It is here where (probably) something went terribly wrong, most likely a buffer overflow, as the error msg was 'mutilated'. Driver names, for example, may not longer than 32 characters (according to Steinberg). In real life, sometimes they are longer! For that reason I've increased the buffer size to 128 bytes.
But at this moment, it's hard to say if it has anything to do with a name buffer overflow. Next time, please have a look at 'Preferences!-> 'Sound card' and inspect driver name, sampling rate, buffer size, ASIO version (=2) and format (most of the time = 18). Note that I have not implemented all possible formats, only the most common: ASIOSTInt16LSB (#16), ASIOSTInt24LSB (#17), ASIOSTInt32LSB (#18) and ASIOSTInt24MSB (#1).
The driver is the EMU original that came with the 0204. It never did work well in win10. Better in XP but that blew up long ago and was replace with win10.
There is no driver especially written for W10?
I did here the tone when DiAna was recording
That's weird. So, despite the error msg, it did at least something: DAC ouput, but no ADC input.
I try the driver with ARTA and get back to you.
Cheers,
Good luck.

Cheers,
E.

I'm not surprised. I don't think MS cares about win32 exe's. If it were the new technologies then they would look into it.
Sure, it looks like that. On the other hand, Win32 API's are still the backbone of Windows, i.e. certainly not obsolete.
Are you on the Windows Insider Program? Here you have access to the win developers on a forum for win10 and win10 related technologies along with other outside developers. It's free to sign up.
Yes, Yes and Yes. But it's not of any help to me, as they talking about new technologies, like Cortana, Windows Store, etc. Nowadays, MS can't make money with developing perfect Win32 API's. :sad:

Cheers E.

@Edmond

I deleted the ini file and started again. The error message at start still occurs and here are some screen shots for the rest including the only ASIO drivers on my machine.

Attachments

• DiAna.png
    DiAna.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 169
  • DiAna2.png
    DiAna2.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Reg.png
    Reg.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Hi Edmond,

The error message is before selecting a driver. It's there at start up.
Nothing happens after selecting a driver. That part works fine.

I updated the previous post with my register entries. Only two driver are there and DiAna is showing three. This area of the registry is were we are supposed to be getting our ASIO driver list from and CLSID.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...entries.html&usg=AOvVaw3qJud6URVNAjdCIg2Vjtgu

Having three drivers listed in DiAna suggests DiAna is getting the info from some other area of the registry.

Last edited:
Hi David,

Now we are getting somewhere, but also something weird is going on:
>"Having three drivers listed in DiAna suggests DiAna is getting the info from some other area of the registry."

The only entry where DiAna looks for driver names is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> ASIO (in C: RegOpenKey( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "software\\asio", &key ); ), in the same way as prescribed in the ASIO SDK.

So the big question is: where does the 3rd driver name, ASIO UAC2, come from?

What about a search on ASIO UAC2 in the registry? Maybe the entry or location of this fake driver will gives us a clue.

Cheers, E.

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Edmond,

Again, just a guess. But, I would imagine it's the author of the driver that didn't add it to registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> ASIO. Old driver?

Btw. Not sure if it's win10 quirk. Rarely use windows these days.

Cheers,
Mogens

Edmond you are right it is the ASIO UAC2 diver. I removed the driverabout a year ago. I was using it to test the ASIO software I was working on at the time. It does exist in other areas of the registry. I manually removed it from the said directory.

This machine has gone through a number of win10 updates since then. So it is possible win10 is messing with DiAna if MS changed something in the handling API.

A search found WOW6432NODE/ASIO but this is an uninstall entry.
Driver info is spread all through the registry. never just in one place.

Might there be a hidden entry in the registry? Can't imagine why.

I could send you a copy of my registry but it is frickin huge.

Cheers,

Hi David,

>" I could send you a copy of my registry but it is frickin huge."
I don't think that makes much sense. I would have a look at it, but you can do it as well and even better. After saving the registry, what about deleting all keys with "ASIO UAC2"?

>So it is possible win10 is messing with DiAna if MS changed something in the handling API." I wouldn't be surprised.

Cheers, E.