Diamond Differential Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Idea for full symmetrical amplifier...

Attachments

• APEX HD50.JPG
    APEX HD50.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 3,619
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The "bias spreader" circuit is not fully symmetrical. I have attached a figure from US Patent 3,995,228, issued 30 Nov 1976 to Nelson S. Pass of Threshold Corporation. It shows a bias spreader circuit which IS fully symmetrical.

Attachments

• Pass_US_3995228.png
    Pass_US_3995228.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,194
Maybe You can use similar topology as krell ksa 100.
Few examples bellow + diamond amp I have made recently.
For two first stages maybe it would be handy to use ccs instad of zeners supplies ?

Or idea nr 2:
-j-fet differential amps (I have used them even in ax11/sansui amp with no changes in circuit)
-bjt differential amps
-Vas
-driver
-output stage

One question, why 4 differential amps ? Two amps (as ksa100) + predriver+vas+driver+output stage should be good too.

Attachments

• krell-ksa100.jpg
    krell-ksa100.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,980
  • mr irek uni.png
    mr irek uni.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,077
  • spadki napiec na rezystorac.png
    spadki napiec na rezystorac.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,905
Last edited:
Maybe You can use similar topology as krell ksa 100.
Few examples bellow + diamond amp I have made recently.
For two first stages maybe it would be handy to use ccs instad of zeners supplies ?

Or idea nr 2:
-j-fet differential amps (I have used them even in ax11/sansui amp with no changes in circuit)
-bjt differential amps
-Vas
-driver
-output stage

One question, why 4 differential amps ? Two amps (as ksa100) + predriver+vas+driver+output stage should be good too.

KSA100 is simple symmetrical amplifier, it's slow with high THD, I want made low TIM amp with high SR... Input stage in HD50 work with +/-15V rail I add another gain stage (diamond differential) with gain 20X to drive VAS...
Why your diamond amp use current divider instead multiplier in VAS?

Hi Mr Mile,
So here we start the HD-series amp... by Apexaudio
there will be 3 variants (I'm guessing)
HD-50, HD-100, & HD-200 :D

Why not the BC550-560 for input LTP?
& cascaded if more higher voltage is used?

There will be HD50, HD150 and HD300.
BC550/560 can be use for LTP and many others transistors, no need to cascaded, LTP rail is +/-15V. There will be cascode in DD and VAS for higher rails.
Regards

Mile
I just was wondering if there is anythink special in diamond topology, diamond buffers are all over the net, so I just added 2 current sources and tef stage into it and it worked just fine and is simple. The results are there SR around 60u/us and thd nearly not mesurable:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/240848-bg3-diamond-amp-simple.html

I was thinking how to improve the input stage but I have lack of knowlage and ideas.

Your amp is very interesting, buffored front stage is really good idea (I will defenetley build it).
There is one think that I do not know how to explain, I did listening tests of 2 nearly same circuits (one has toshibas TO92-mod second has 2n5xx1 tranies), there was audiable diffrence heard strigt away in bass area, the one with 2n5xx1 was bit deeper and more soft.
Another think - I just had changed 2 resistors in second diamond stage (reducing biasing by 50%) and harmonics character has changed totally - I do not know if this is specyfic case of my circuit or kind of diamond topology characteristics. It looks like that there is a way to fine tune the amp with listening test.

In your amp prapobly there will be a way too to fine tune the amp with listening sessions. I would put j-fets at input buffer anyway.

Attachments

• porownanie.jpg
    porownanie.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,358
I tried the schematic on ltspice.
I replaced R10K with 1K8 & added some capacitors for amp stability.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • frek response.jpg
    frek response.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,383
  • swing.jpg
    swing.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,292
  • apex hd50.asc
    10 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.