Diamante -a discrete medium power opamp

While waiting for spares for a couple of B22s, I finally got a balanced Diamante up and running. Very temporary wiring with crappy cable, but its working and sounding pretty good. Sorry for the awful iPhone photo, but its all I have access to at the moment.

0034f39c.jpg

way more than that, but my input pairs are not well matched.

35mv isnt too bad, still higher than you like

I didn't match anything, just the standard BOM. Did you do any tweaks to tame it? I recall Russ mentioning reducing the resistor at the input to GND to tame the DC offset with no source connected. That would be RZ if Im not mistaken.

Last edited:
Thanks for your fast reply! I only appear to have 12 pairs of those annoyingly, but have 9 pairs of 2N5401 + 2N5551 also, can mabye use those for the output devices, is mixing these ok so long as I keep the pairs complemtary?

Ultimately, I'm looking to test this design as a low power, high performance power amplifier:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/165331-low-power-discrete-designs.html

Using BD139/140 pair(s) on the output. I guess I'd also need to lower the emitter resistors (shown as 10r) and output balancing resistors (shown as 6.8r) for use driving speakers.

Hi Russ, Brian and Mr Majestic,

I used Mr Majestic boards which I bought some time ago and built this amp for my headphones.

Well as usual I'm impressed with another of Russ's designs. Great work guys I think this is my new reference. I think at this early stage I prefer it to my M3 and F4, both great amps. The diamante seems to do everything well and is quite a well balanced amp. Example, the M3 has better dynamics and air, but it seems its highs are not as natural and the mids a little recessed. Its quite ell known for its bass I think. The Diamante matches it for bass, less air and stage and dynamics, but it seems a more natural presentation and I like the highs more.

There is a slight stability issue I think, I got the scope out and there was and underlying oscillations, it went away I thought it was interference or lead problems. I notice now if I put my fingers on the transistors I get a louder humming noise, offset sees to drift a little, from a round -6mV to 40mV. Bias is stable. I dont have a pot and wiring is not yet routed opytimally.

Russ how does it compare to the ventus?

My next HP amp will be the Gilmore Dynalo, I really got to stop building these things.

BTW Mr Majestic, have you got any more of these for sale, I could use a couple for the buffalo 32S I'm building.

Last edited:
Hi Mr Majestic,

Have you got any instability problems with your build? I have two that have oscillations at what appears to be 200mV P-P. I cant understand whats going on because this is the same level as the music when its loud, yet teh amp sounds very good apart from sone background hum.

Anyone know how I can stabilise the amp, I have used every part as per the BOM, there are no differences to the original schematic.