Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind words, I is a tough basterd.

My wife went to sleep.

Me? I'm building a DX!

Wood salvaged from old kitchen bottom door's horizontal parts... 45mm thick :). Lol I didn't charge the lady to hang her new door, I just took the old one... wood is soooooooooo expensive these days.

dxfront.jpg

Wonderfull place..this is what i like to watch

do not like those clean things....those pretty benches seems to me
that the guy is lazy....hummmm...maybe a "simulator" guy...living with virtual.....ahahahah.

I am thinking what to do with a virtual girl...they know probable.

Real work, real creativity, using junk...this is clever....well..at least i think this way to protect myself.

We have to do that...even living with garbage....we have to think we are the "king of the garbage"

hehe.....goooooood man!

regards,

Carlos

Wood, uncle Charly, is almost never garbage... it's life was probably just as important than yours and mine, and the tree proabaly did more good than the two of us combined...

But the big diffirence, or maybe similarity between wood and people is, the ugly is only skin deep... just take off the outer few mm, and beatifull, strong, proud, new wood sees the light for the first time. When I'm done you won't be able to tell it is not brand new wood... except it wond bend and twist like young wood still has to do... its been in the sun and rain for 10 years allready.

I sometimes feel like crying when I see the pieces of wood people trow away, or make fire with... noone seems to have any skills to do anything with anything... not a trait my family shares... my grandfather build his own ocilloscope in the days of valves and tubes... brilliant man like Einstein smart. And he had metal lathes etc... whole family very creative... just not very fertile... I am literaly the last male of my branch of the family...

But who cries for the trees when they are gone? Thats why I treat it with respect and bring it back to life.

I feel the same...you can see in this image.. i was searching for nature images

To upload to our common friend Klaas Veenstra, when i found that...people already cutting wood to Saint Peter and Saint John parties...Christian celebrations when people ligth fires as a traditions.

The problem is that wood is rare... it is the ancient Brazilian Red wood...used to Bowl and sometimes to produce arrows... flexible and resistant rare wood...the one people have extracted red paint to clothing in fourteen century...one of the main products extracted from brazil by Portuguese, Spanish, Holand, French and English pirates.

Portuguese, those days were "official" here...not really pirates, but doing piracy anyway.

I use all piece of wood i have.

I hate that they want to burn that wood.... people around had not conscience and police is taking care of their own (personal) problems...a pitty.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• red wood.jpg
    red wood.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 419
I found, today, some pieces of wood...not really wood...low density fiberboard

I think is the name....we call "aglomerado" here...pieces of wood and glue that is dried under several tons of pressure.

Not MDF, that is made with sugar cane powder...this one has small pieces of "pinus"..... pine may be the name for you...white pine tree.

Than i put into use those pieces of wood and an old speaker made by Brazilian Bravox...down the eigthies....it is an 8 ohms 30 watts unit...high compliance and nice sonics..full range unit....lovely sound....the standard speaker used into several sound systems here...from Sony, Technics, Aiwa, Philips,Gradiente and many chinese new brands that invade our market here with nice quality, reasonable sonics and very low price.

See the image.... i will listen it with Dx amplifier...but i am afraid of the power.

The speaker back is opened to air.... as it will work against the wall..the distance will tune it to 35 hertz.....it has a natural ressonance around 46 hertz.... despite full range...nice bass the one provide.

Yes..that tape will be remove as soon the white glue dries.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• junk wood.jpg
    junk wood.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 423
That tape is to keep panel in place while the white glue will dry.

This enclosure was fixed using only white glue..that Universal one..used to school works and to wood furnitures...cheap here. around 4 dollares a litter.

That tape will be removed and panel will be sanded and will receive some tranparent varnish.

The speaker was repaired by me... i have made, manually, the coil that was burned.

Glue applied using fingers.... in brazil we do not use those nice pistols to glue...those things are for the first world.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• junk is junk.jpg
    junk is junk.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 394
Here is the image of the rarity, this nice speaker...very rare..difficult to see them

You have to buy old sound systems to remove this driver...nice unit.

Dx amplifier will sound nice with this one..for sure.

My dear Aussie friend Rabittz will be happy watching those images.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• lovely sonics.jpg
    lovely sonics.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 284
Good to see you feel well enough to work on your DX-amplifier Nordic :)

Wood is a lovely material, as it matures it only gets better.
A tool i have used many times to revitalize wood is a paint-stripper.
It is invaluable for removing layers of paint or removing the top-layer of an old piece of wood.
In Holland it is often used for removing clearcoat-lacquer from old oak sailboats.
Biggest drawback is the blisters it causes in your hands, the trick is to keep it sharp at all times.

Best regards,

Klaas

It seems pine..... maybe some family member of pine tree too.

Lovely waving ligth brown colour...very clean....those clear wood are fine.

Well, they are producing (industries) fake finishments very pretty too...made with papper or plastic convering MDF boards.

Oh!...i hate those industrial things...fake!

I see that Dx amplifier is something that "wooden lovers" apreciate.

People use to say that this teeth...the wisdom one, produces a lot of health problems.

Good idea to remove it Greg.... you will be better when free of that challenge in your life.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• greg wood.jpg
    greg wood.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 418
Re: I think you are better too Rabbitz..... i am sure you are healing fast

destroyer X said:

Am i wrong?

I doubt?

regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos

We are showing some improvement with more strength in the fingers and some days better than others. Seems to worsen when I play with amplifiers but I'll get over that.

Ah.... speaker pictures.... you're right as that's how you get my attention. Amazing, with the full range going so low and open back as well. This is one way to get you away from amps for a while..... maybe 15 minutes. ;)

You just can't beat timber for looks, working with it and feel. Each piece is just so different and has it's own character.

I cannot advance too much, because off topic

And moderators may be near their limit to push my ears!

Weldon and Planet 10 will perceive, very fast, that this subject belongs to speaker forum..they will invite me to place those things there...hehe...and very soon.

This way...to have a chance, to avoid them be upset by me, i will finish this conversation here.. but i will feed into your direct mail dear Rabbitz.

I have made holes with soldering iron in the "spider"...the lower suspension material, that one centers the coil...they turn more flexible.

I have sanded the upper suspension.... using sand paper...this made movement soft.

Also i have include a small heavy plate, non magnetic one, into a sandwich with cartoon paper , installed into the place we normally have a dome covering the coil ...in the speaker center.

So....the speaker turns more soft and heavy...the result was enormous reduction into the ressonance frequency.

Dx amplifier is producing noises in my window glasses and ressonances into the home furniture..so deep and strong it is using this "turbo speaker"

Well...we have to pay the price...it is not full range anymore...have lost treble...but bass...hehe

Old tricks....i think you know them.

regards,

Carlos

Hi again

I did some testing with BD139/140 drivers and some other capacitor value's.

The BD139/140 didnt make any big difference.
When C9 is in the circuit its start to oscilate/distort and it disapears when C9 is gone.

I reduced the Vas capacitor C14 to 27 pF and could not hear any difference with the 100 pF.

Are there ant diferent value's for C9 that i should try?

So i think i am going to use around 27pF Vas and leave C9 out in the final amplifier. Or are there any (big) inprovements (that i can hear :)) with C9 in the circuit?

Some questions about the DX powersuply.
What use got the two LED's?
Why is there a green and a red LED?
How exact has the L-R combination to be?
The caps i'm going to use are al little bit bigger, any objection against that?

Good news, your amplifier is running fine without that capacitor.

You can test the reduction of this capacitor...try something lower than 10pf

Of course, if not oscilating without it, keep this condenser out....but this is really very strange....normally the circuit oscilates when have not this capacitor....now you have created a short circuit inside my brain and have burned the last two neuroniuns i had working fine!

Those Leds are indication of voltage variations... if they variate the ligth intensity, you will know your supply (rail) is variating voltage....you can use the same colours, green-green or red-red...but you may need the information about what rail is loosing more voltage than the other if have not correct identification of those leds.

Of course, you can remove them if do not want them.

No problems related substitution of capacitors or condensers...all good ones will work fine.

Condenser size is a matter of sthetics only.... respect the insulation values needed for a 35 plus and 35 negative circuit and everything will be all rigth

27 picofarads and 22 picofarads are optimized values to that position.... say..... Voltage amplifier transistor....to the feedback line (R9), the optimized value was 18 picofarads, was increase to be the same value than the miller one...turning circuit more easy and parts buy, parts selection or parts hunting become more easy.

regards,

Carlos

Yeah dear Graham.... i just do not want to be unkind.

For sure there are something strange there.

The capacitor may be connected in wrong place...everything happening with dear Inex are too much strange to me Graham.

The opposite, related what happens here is happening there?

When i remove this capacitor here, the amplifier turns easy to oscilate...oscilations driven by input signal.... and the oscilations are stoping his home...hehe....paft....pow!..short inside my small skull!

In his amplifier things are oposite....i am on a dead short inside my brain.... i am still using Neuroniums borrowed from my neck, as those two ones gone!

Hey dear Inex, can you post, please, high resolution pictures of under and over your board....please, fill the board image using your camera viewfinder...use external ligth.... small tripod if possible and the best resolution you have in your digital camera.....please, send this to Big Fat Charlie.

panzertoo@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• crazy.jpg
    crazy.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 351
Dx amp.. my amplifier

Inex

Have you compared your PCBs with some of the excellent colour photos that Carlos posted ? When I build a project I often print out a good colour print of the original project. Some resistor colours, for example are very hard to be sure of, particularly the browns and the reds. Looking at good photos like those posted by Carlos, you can even work out the actual resistor values etc, and compare them with what you have actually installed.
Good luck !

SandyK

Status
Not open for further replies.